Sony PlayStation Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

3.1

18 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I got approached by a recruiter on behalf of Playstation with regards to a Product Management position with specialist technical aspects in their London office (can't give out more specifics). The interviews were easy, typical product management, prioritisation etc, nothing special. Two rounds: One with product people and one with technical people. During the process my main hunches were: 1) The place and people did not have a happy vibe/atmosphere. 2) Strangely, I was more technical than what the technical people seemed to like, kind of the opposite of what you would expect. At some point in the process I was told that I was one of the two finalists but in the end I never heard from them, they just disappeared into thin air. I find it particularly disrespectful when a company approaches you (the agent acts on behalf of them), you allocate time from your busy schedule to interview with them and in the end they don't bother to finish the process like any descent company would: communicating the result and feedback. You don't want to work for such kind of a company. In fact, looking back, odd signs had started from the very beginning, when the recruiter started negotiating the potential salary from the very first call.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritise product features?   1 Answer

Localization Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (Liverpool, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online. Got a test online. Proceeded to interview. Face-to-face interview + test took 3 hours. There were around 20 questions in total. Had to compare texts for test (original - translation).

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation in July 2017.

Interview

My application took about a month before I recieved a reply from Playstation. First is a phone interview which took about 10-15 min, followed by a face-to-face interview at Liverpool.

As there was nobody who could speak Korean to assess my Korean skills, a person from Korea came to ask questions.

The overall interview took about 30 minutes, half of them in English asking questions about myself, while the other half was in Korean, asking questions on how I would respond in given scenarios.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Slightly odd at the beginning as there was no job spec(!). But a good initial phone chat with the extremely friendly hiring manager laid out the main details of the role.

Next stage was a take-home test focussing on data science/table query type stuff, in SQL and then Spark. Plus a rather bizarre/contrived unix shell scripting question that took quite a while to unpick.

In hindsight, should have focussed on the 3rd question, the Spark section, first as it was a single bug in the last (and hardest) part of that section that apparently lead to my rejection.

Having spent around 6 hours in my spare time completing the test, it would have been nice to have received more than one small piece of feedback, but that's how companies seem to treat potential employees these days. In fact, getting any feedback at all should count as a plus, sadly.

Overall probably the right result for both parties; the take-home test implied they are looking for a data query engineer whereas my background is more in mathematical algorithms, machine learning and software architecture.

Oh, and when the hiring manager tells you there's no rush to finish the exercise, and the rec agent tells you there is - probably best to ignore the latter and test your results more thoroughly in the extra time you've given yourself.

Interview Questions

• Work out what a seemingly bizarre/contrived unix shell script does, re-write it more simply to still do the same bizarre function.   1 Answer
    • Sessionise a large batch of web usage data in Spark   1 Answer
    • Diagnose what's wrong with a given SQL query using groupby and join   1 Answer

Product Hardware Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview took place in Soho, London. Face to face with the hiring manager. Format was super relaxed and took shape of a more informal discussion. Overall time in the interview was just shy of 3 hours but was great. I was interviewed by the hiring manager who was really kind and felt genuinely interested in all of my responses .

Didn't ask me much about experience but more about my knowledge of PlayStation both the brand and products.

Only downside was after the interview. It was quite difficult to get an answer from HR and took about 4 weeks to provide feedback.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were scenario based (How would you position a certain PlayStation product during the Christmas season when thinking about our competitors product?).

Other questions were aimed at my personal opinions and what I had wrote about on my blog.

Threw a couple of questions in there about my CV but more specifically were about my personal interests outside of work etc.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

Avoid Sony Playstation like the plague if you have children. I have been denied 2 roles there because I asked how do they support modern working parents with young children. The hiring managers response was a nervous laugh, followed by the pathetic explanation that they have no policy regarding flexibility and support for parents. Then he continued to try and justify this by stating most employees are young so this isn't a current issue for them. I find this slightly ironic given they day I interviewed, there was a leaving party for a young woman going off on maternity leave??? In summary, looks like an amazing company from the outside, sadly stuck in the dark ages internally. Only apply if you're happy seeing your kids on weekends.

QA Functional Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (Liverpool, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was comprised of two parts - a conventional questions and answers and then moved on to a practical (Testing) in which I was given little big planet 3 and told to test it and find as many bugs as possible. I was unprepared for a practical element of the job as i was not told beforehand. I have terrible handwriting in which I had to write the bugs down, I have always used computers. One thing i did find bad about this particular interview is that one of the interviewers did not seem interested at all, he would be looking around the room and seemed distracted while the other was giving me his full attention and nodding as if I had given a correct answer to the questions.

I found this off putting that he seemed bored, I have done QA at a games company prior to this a 6 months contract and in all honesty I was good at finding bugs, I found it difficult to perform in this practical because of certain habits obtained in the prior job. Such as repeating the bug several times to ensure it was a bug ( this wasted time ) adding the position of the button IE north for triangle or Y depending on the console it was meant to be universal. I had never played little big planet so lacked the info about the game in general such as character names etc and I over thought it in all. I came out with 3 bugs which I was disappointed with but kept optimistic about my chances. As I left I held out my hand to the dis-interested interviewer and thanked him for his time, I was met with a poor handshake. The interviewer who was interested then showed me out and told me about the high turn over of the place this led me to suspect I hadn't gotten the position already and pretty much saying I could apply again.

The next day my suspicions were confirmed and I received an email detailing that I had been unsuccessful. I replied politely with my disappointment about not getting the position but asked for some feedback so I could amend and improve, I never received a reply.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite game and why? followed by what was a big negative of the game?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

Interview

Design a distributed system and explain the moving parts, edge cases and how the stakeholders were satisfied. Discuss implementation details and justification for specific technologies. Review legacy code and suggest refactor techniques and abstractions. Solve an algorithmic problem in any language - time limited but not expected to complete it. The phone screen was fairly awkward but being on site was fun.

Interview Questions

• How will you ensure our specific system exists in 5 years' time?   Answer Question

German Community Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (London, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process went pretty fluently with Sony Playstation. At the day I sent my application, I got invited for a phone interview in the same week. The phone interview lasted about one hour, where two interviewers explained the position in detail and its requirements. Further, they wanted to know more about my background and experience and following up asked questions related to the job and position. This was one of the more creative and engaging interviews I have had, not asking standard question like "where do you see yourself in five years". It was really about the topic.

After 2-3 weeks they got back to me to invite me to the second round of interviews at their office. Everything went pretty smooth, where I talked to the senior manager and my potential superior. The interview was pleasant and took around 1 hour, where it was a more in depth interview about qualifications and requirements for the position and what I can deliver and add of value.

All in all, it was a pleasant experience with the interview process and communication was without problems.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very varied, evolving of course around Playstation and its community management.

One question I remember was "How would I promote the upcoming Uncharted 4 within the community and what measures would I consider to take?"   Answer Question

Online Community Moderator Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

I went through a recruitment agency who dealt with most of the liasing and sorting of appointments, but it was pretty quick to hear back for an interview. The interview was fairly thorough but easy-going. Relaxed vibe, and was followed up by a short test. Good interview overall, but I haven't yet heard anything back so I'm not entirely sure if I'm getting a call back or not.

Interview Questions

• Previous experience and asked questions about what I would do to improve aspects of their online presence   Answer Question