Sony PlayStation Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 24, 2017

3.3

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Slightly odd at the beginning as there was no job spec(!). But a good initial phone chat with the extremely friendly hiring manager laid out the main details of the role.

Next stage was a take-home test focussing on data science/table query type stuff, in SQL and then Spark. Plus a rather bizarre/contrived unix shell scripting question that took quite a while to unpick.

In hindsight, should have focussed on the 3rd question, the Spark section, first as it was a single bug in the last (and hardest) part of that section that apparently lead to my rejection.

Having spent around 6 hours in my spare time completing the test, it would have been nice to have received more than one small piece of feedback, but that's how companies seem to treat potential employees these days. In fact, getting any feedback at all should count as a plus, sadly.

Overall probably the right result for both parties; the take-home test implied they are looking for a data query engineer whereas my background is more in mathematical algorithms, machine learning and software architecture.

Oh, and when the hiring manager tells you there's no rush to finish the exercise, and the rec agent tells you there is - probably best to ignore the latter and test your results more thoroughly in the extra time you've given yourself.

Interview Questions

• Work out what a seemingly bizarre/contrived unix shell script does, re-write it more simply to still do the same bizarre function.   1 Answer
    • Sessionise a large batch of web usage data in Spark   1 Answer
    • Diagnose what's wrong with a given SQL query using groupby and join   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

Avoid Sony Playstation like the plague if you have children. I have been denied 2 roles there because I asked how do they support modern working parents with young children. The hiring managers response was a nervous laugh, followed by the pathetic explanation that they have no policy regarding flexibility and support for parents. Then he continued to try and justify this by stating most employees are young so this isn't a current issue for them. I find this slightly ironic given they day I interviewed, there was a leaving party for a young woman going off on maternity leave??? In summary, looks like an amazing company from the outside, sadly stuck in the dark ages internally. Only apply if you're happy seeing your kids on weekends.

Interview Questions

• Talk through experience and how it relates to the role   Answer Question

QA Functional Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (Liverpool, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was comprised of two parts - a conventional questions and answers and then moved on to a practical (Testing) in which I was given little big planet 3 and told to test it and find as many bugs as possible. I was unprepared for a practical element of the job as i was not told beforehand. I have terrible handwriting in which I had to write the bugs down, I have always used computers. One thing i did find bad about this particular interview is that one of the interviewers did not seem interested at all, he would be looking around the room and seemed distracted while the other was giving me his full attention and nodding as if I had given a correct answer to the questions.

I found this off putting that he seemed bored, I have done QA at a games company prior to this a 6 months contract and in all honesty I was good at finding bugs, I found it difficult to perform in this practical because of certain habits obtained in the prior job. Such as repeating the bug several times to ensure it was a bug ( this wasted time ) adding the position of the button IE north for triangle or Y depending on the console it was meant to be universal. I had never played little big planet so lacked the info about the game in general such as character names etc and I over thought it in all. I came out with 3 bugs which I was disappointed with but kept optimistic about my chances. As I left I held out my hand to the dis-interested interviewer and thanked him for his time, I was met with a poor handshake. The interviewer who was interested then showed me out and told me about the high turn over of the place this led me to suspect I hadn't gotten the position already and pretty much saying I could apply again.

The next day my suspicions were confirmed and I received an email detailing that I had been unsuccessful. I replied politely with my disappointment about not getting the position but asked for some feedback so I could amend and improve, I never received a reply.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite game and why? followed by what was a big negative of the game?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Design a distributed system and explain the moving parts, edge cases and how the stakeholders were satisfied. Discuss implementation details and justification for specific technologies. Review legacy code and suggest refactor techniques and abstractions. Solve an algorithmic problem in any language - time limited but not expected to complete it. The phone screen was fairly awkward but being on site was fun.

Interview Questions

• How will you ensure our specific system exists in 5 years' time?   Answer Question

German Community Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (London, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process went pretty fluently with Sony Playstation. At the day I sent my application, I got invited for a phone interview in the same week. The phone interview lasted about one hour, where two interviewers explained the position in detail and its requirements. Further, they wanted to know more about my background and experience and following up asked questions related to the job and position. This was one of the more creative and engaging interviews I have had, not asking standard question like "where do you see yourself in five years". It was really about the topic.

After 2-3 weeks they got back to me to invite me to the second round of interviews at their office. Everything went pretty smooth, where I talked to the senior manager and my potential superior. The interview was pleasant and took around 1 hour, where it was a more in depth interview about qualifications and requirements for the position and what I can deliver and add of value.

All in all, it was a pleasant experience with the interview process and communication was without problems.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very varied, evolving of course around Playstation and its community management.

One question I remember was "How would I promote the upcoming Uncharted 4 within the community and what measures would I consider to take?"
      Answer Question

Online Community Moderator Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

I went through a recruitment agency who dealt with most of the liasing and sorting of appointments, but it was pretty quick to hear back for an interview. The interview was fairly thorough but easy-going. Relaxed vibe, and was followed up by a short test. Good interview overall, but I haven't yet heard anything back so I'm not entirely sure if I'm getting a call back or not.

Interview Questions

• Previous experience and asked questions about what I would do to improve aspects of their online presence   Answer Question

BI Developer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was3 hours, was not bad. So spent half a day there.

Technical but nice and warming. Started just with one-on-one. Then 4 people entered the room in a group interview.

It was relaxed, but also a little confusing in the sense they wanted someone very technical, and spoke as though they where on the latest and most advanced technology, but it did seem they lacked in processes within the team, just from their explanations of their team.

Interview Questions

• sql technical questions. Need to write sql.

Developer questions - what have you developed and how does it look.
      1 Answer
    • Although i felt the interview process went ok... i did take out half a day to spend with the company.   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied through an agency. It took more than 2 months for the agency to get back to me and when he did he said the position was put on hold and that's why it took him so long to call. It took another month for the agency to arrange the interview after the phone interview as well. I had 2 face to face interviews with Sony, nice and friendly team of managers. Easy going but with lots of questions about community management and how you perceive the brand and forums etc.

They got back to me pretty quickly -next day- after the first interview and arranged the second one for the upcoming week, had another great interview that left me with the vibe of getting the job, they said they would get back to me with the final decision in 2 days time but it literally took another month to get a refusal.

I had to push the agency to get the decision email.

Overall, it was a waste of my time and effort as I provided them with a detailed research about how to approach community management etc, I don't think they know what they want and just keep doing interviews maybe just to get some fresh ideas.

On another note I shall state out that the job advert has been around since February!

Community Coordinator (Foreign Language) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (London, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

Applied online via a job board, recruiting agency got back to me within a day, asking for specifics of my gaming experience. After a brief back-and-forth, I got some pointers on improving my CV, which was then sent to the company.
    It took them about a week to come back saying that they wanted to interview me. First I was interviewed by the hiring manager and by another manager from the communities. It was rather informal, was asked to tell about myself, expand on points in resume, then provide specific ideas.
    After that I was asked to write a short test for the language (2 pages, multiple-choice and open-ended), and a short welcome message for the community. Note: it's a good idea at this point to ask if there are any specific rules/guidelines for such messages.

They got back to me soon (just after the weekend), asking me in for a second round with the same hiring manager and someone even more senior from the company. That went very well, was even more relaxed and informal than the first one. No really tricky questions. Asked for impressions on existing content, and then some questions such as "how would you go about doing x?"

Interview Questions

• Had a pop quiz on relevant language grammar, included tricky spelling questions, associations and country trivia.   Answer Question
    • What changes would you make to the website/forum/blog?   Answer Question
    • How would you promote something on the forum/website/blog?   Answer Question
    • Pick your favourite game that you know very well. Imagine it's new. How would you promote it?   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

Submitted the application through and agency and was given an interview a day afterwards. Went to the interview which consisted of an in depth C++ test and a thorough probing of my CV. Later given feedback and decision within 2 days.

Interview Questions

• C++ data structures, stl containers, design patterns, multithreading. Recommended read: Effective C++   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very fast and efficient. They were extremely helpful every step of the way.