Sophos Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Sophos Interview Questions in United Kingdom

2.7

First Line Software Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abingdon, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sophos (Abingdon, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Initial interview was brilliant, the second was a nightmare. Dodged bullet springs to mind.

Approached the company via their website and was vetted by a member of their recruiting team who advised I sounded like I would be "an ideal fit".

1st interview was with two supervisors. Went extremely well with lots of nods and verbal approval of answers. Lots of positive comments. Left feeling very good about the process.

One week later I gently nudged the recruiter for feedback. Apparently they were very busy and advised I had a second interview which was essentially a meet-and-greet with the next level manager for final sign off.

Arrived and was advised it was an interview with three interviewers. A surprise but no problem.

What followed was one of the worst experiences I have been subjected to in an interview. I would stress that I did not project a sterling performance and so I must take some of the blame for not being offered a position there. At no point however, was I rude or defensive; but I was severely tempted. Almost immediately it was implied I had lied on my CV because I used my current employer's trading name, which it is not universally known as. When I corrected him, he clearly tried to catch me out. Pointless, given that I knew my CV inside out, as well as my current employer.

The final straw was at the end when told that the lead interviewer had heard all this kind of thing from people in the past and then found they didn't deliver later on. I was left mystified as to why he would say this, and more importantly how I was connected in any way to those experiences, although the clear implication seemed to be that he didn't believe what I was saying. I felt like replying that I had experienced much incompetence over the years by managers who didn't understand how to manage effectively, or simply walk out of the interview. To my credit, I kept my composure and stayed.

I did lie at one point, I told them it had been a pleasure to meet them. Some of the questions I received are below, as are my thoughts. Their recruiting department have since advised me I was unsuccessful, and with that an offer of further feedback which I took up out of morbid curiosity. However, I am still waiting some time later. Not impressed.

I left feeling like someone had taken my genuine desire to work for what seemed to be a very highly regarded company and screw it up, and then urinate all over it for good measure. The irony is that I wanted the job at Sophos over a role I had been offered that is a quarter of the distance from home than it is to the Sophos office, more money, and with greater exposure to training and development.

Would I have chosen to waste my time interviewing if I knew then what I know now? My sense of proving myself says yes. My head screams "AVOID AT ALL COSTS".

Interview Questions

• 1.Tell me about yourself. What do you do in your current position/role?
      2.How do you feel you will manage your commute to work everyday?
      3.How do you feel about moving into a more technical role?
      4.How would you feel taking instructions when you feel you could do a better job being in charge?
      5.How do you deal with conflict within your team?
      6.Why are there no SLAs where you currently work?
      7.Where do you see yourself in 5 years' time?
      8.What do you feel you would bring to the team?
      9.How would you deal with a customer asking for help with software outside of your remit?
      2 Answers

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sophos (Abingdon, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Interview process was made of 3 stages.

Phone interview, Face to Face with Senior Sales Engineer and HR and final stage interview with Senior Sales Engineer, HR and Sales Engineering Manager.

Phone interview was standard questions for the industry, just checking you are applying for the right job.

1st face to face was to make sure you are a good fit for the team and that you know what you are talking about. Just a Q&A session that goes both ways. Very open to questions and did answer as fully as they could.

Final stage is to see if you can do the job. They give you a brief and tell you to pitch them a Sophos solution. You are given this brief as soon as you are told you have progressed to the final stage so there is some time to prepare. Q&A and light feedback at the end.

Overall a refreshing experience where everyone at the table was nice, encouraging and open. They took the time to make sure you understood the role and where you were to fit in with the team.

Interview Questions

• What does Sophos do and what are they know for in the industry   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sophos (Abingdon, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied at a university fair where Sophos had a stand. Next step was a telephone interview with a manager and an engineer where I was asked typical behavioural questions and then they tested my knowledge in programming with questions about C++, PC architecture and some bit operations. Finally I was invited to their office where I visited the place ad had an interview with two engineers. This time the focus was a lot more on Malware, the types of it, challenges when detecting malware etc. Overall it was a pleasing experience.

Interview Questions

• What are the challenges when you are collecting millions of malware samples per day?   Answer Question

Technical Support Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sophos.

Interview

Originally applied for a different role, but was sent this reply;

"We are currently recruiting for a Technical Support Team Leader here at Sophos and with your background we feel this might be more suitable for you."
    I
    After a very pleasant telephone screening with HR I was told via email that their head of tech support had seen my CV, was impressed with my experience and was keen to get me to interview.

What then followed was the worst interview experience I've ever had. The tech support manager in the interview was perfectly nice and asked some great questions, however the HR person in the interview appeared completely disinterested. She then question why I'd gone for this role, as my experience was not aligned (I'd been approached by them - see what I quote from an email above).
    I was also made aware that I had the wrong job spec... which is what I had been emailed my their HR, She came across as very arrogant with something more important to be doing quite frankly.

Very tempted to just get up an leave mid interview, but I stuck it out.

I have to admit, I did lie in my interview...right at the end when I said it was a pleasure to meet the HR person.

Told they would be in touch within 2 weeks for next steps.

Complete waste of my time, spent an afternoon to travel there and back and not even the courtesy of a thanks but no thanks.

Lucky escape and would give this company an extremely wide birth if this remains their interview practice.

I expected so much More from this company, unfortunately this was what I came away with...

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sophos (Abingdon, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

The complete process was handled very professionally. The recruiter contacted me for a quick telephone screening. I was then invited for first round of interview and then for second round of interview. I had lots of opportunities to ask questions, seek clarifications about my role. All the interviewers were passionate about working for Sophos.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sophos (Abingdon, England (UK)).

Interview

First of three interviews arranged via an agency. Had to travel four hours each way for each interview. Initial perception of the office was good, although the people seemed very tense.

Interview Questions

• As i didn't get any particularly difficult questions. Know your subject and it's a doddle.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Very inflexible.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sophos (Abingdon, England (UK)).

Interview

Multi-person interview, generic software/hardware test to measure IT aptitude

Negotiation

Minimal negotiation

Channel Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sophos.

Interview

the worst experience ever. i have been been to too many interviews to share the number with you, but this was one of the most awful experiences of my career. I never want to mee anyone again from Sophos they are unprofessiona egotistical.

Interview Questions

• wanting to go into detail about an aspect of my previous roles that was not relevant to the role i was applying for. she had her own agenda   Answer Question

Engineering Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abingdon, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sophos (Abingdon, England (UK)) in February 2013.

Interview

Technical lead team and no HR

Research into Sophos