Southern Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 23, 2017

3.1

43 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Customer Care Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southern Company.

Interview

HR called. Asked basic questions-HS graduate? Set up phone interview with supervisor.
    Supervisor called at agreed time and talked 10 minutes or so. Asked basic questions. Do you know much about Southern Company? How have you dealt with a difficult customer?

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southern Company (Birmingham, AL).

Interview

20 minute presentation (about your background and why you're the best candidate) followed by team interview. Very professional in terms of communication before and after. All expenses covered.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were asked to present information in an interesting or creative way?   Answer Question

Nuclear Technical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waynesboro, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Southern Company (Waynesboro, GA) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process was painless. I applied for the job on March 23th, 2017 and received a call about setting up interview on April 5th, 2017. Had the interview the following Wednesday. I work on the project but for another company so I knew where the building was and everything. Very nice panel of interviewers. Still waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions

• Describe your background, experience, education, technical skills that relates to this position.   Answer Question

Health and Welfare-Financial and Compliance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Southern Company (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

They called me a month after I applied and scheduled me for a prescreening. Afterwards, I got to speak on the phone with the hiring manager. Finally, I was brought in for a 3-hour panel interview. I was told to wait 7-10 days for a response and I didn't hear back until almost a month and a half afterwards. All attempts to obtain an update by me and the HR rep who did the prescreening were ignored. They didn't even bother sending a personal email. Very unprofessional and inconsiderate.

Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Southern Company (Birmingham, AL) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by someone from HR and an interview was set up. On the call/interview was the HR Rep along with (3) others from the company. Their questions were pretty in depth and were standard interview type questions. It was very direct situational questions, and after answering we could move into more of a discussion type interview but it was very structured and controlled by HR and their process

Interview Questions

• Questions related to dealing with teamwork and how you interact and perform in teams and lead to their sucess   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Southern Company (Birmingham, AL).

Interview

All company interviews involve a panel that includes the hiring manager, HR rep, and 4-5 other employees either in the department or related areas. Each person asks 1 predetermined question, and each candidate gets the same questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would handle a situation where you had to give someone information that they did not agree with?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southern Company in September 2016.

Interview

I did not finish the application process. This employer has the audacity, in a world full of identity theft/fraud, to ask for an applicants' SSNs upfront via their online application system. It will not accept an application without this information and it will not accept 123456789 or 999999999 etc. They do not have a need-to-know or a right-to-know this information at this point in the process (before making an offer and before needing to run a background check). They include a nice little comment that they use a 'secure' system but that's an easy thing to say when you have no skin in the game. By the way, Target had a 'secure' system also and so did the federal government's Office of Personnel Management and so did Blue Cross (and I'm just going from memory here). Do you wanna know what large organizations do when their 'secure' system fails and hurts the people who trusted their 'system'? They provide a $15/mo 'Credit Monitoring Service' for 2yrs ... that's it ... Whew! What a relief! I guess that fixes that.

This utter disregard for the privacy of potential future employees just so HR can have a database full of a private information on every person who has shown an interest in any position at their very large company at any point in time. And I'm also very sure that they would never just share this information to make a buck like every other corporate shill does these days, treating their own customers/employees' information as products to be sold to the highest bidder. I very much look forward to the day that this information is hacked (and it will be eventually) and your reputation suffers and I hope there's a class-action lawsuit b/c that's the only way a large company like this will ever learn.

Systems Operator In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waynesboro, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southern Company (Waynesboro, GA) in August 2016.

Interview

4 person panel interview, it was a very comfortable setting where personal questions as well as technical questions are asked. The process was broken down and at the beginning of the interview, they gave you a sheet with all the questions they will ask. I annotated no in if I got a job but I am still awaiting results.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to deviate from a plan.   1 Answer

Nuclear Chemist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Southern Company.

Interview

The process went well. It was an interview where various questions were asked to assess how you would respond to a situation. There were a few people in various positions across the company.

Interview Questions

• The ask numerous questions about safety and how you would enforce it.   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Southern Company.

Interview

Panel interview with 5 interviewers from different departments. mostly behavioral questions. asked me to describe why I wanted to work there. They also asked a little about my background. Interview was over all easy, just be able to describe the items on your resume.

Interview Questions

• What makes you stand out above other candidates?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to overcome inter-personality issues.   Answer Question