Southern Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Southern Company Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2017

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Southern Company (Birmingham, AL).

Interview

I applied online 3 months earlier. I was contacted to come into their Birmingham office for an interview. When I got to Birmingham, I was informed the position was also available in Atlanta. I was offered a position in the Atlanta office. The amount they initially offered was below the amount I asked for; therefor I countered and they provided me with the exact amount I requested. Initially they stated because of the bonus, I would achieve the desired rate. However, the bonus is not guaranteed.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle conflict?   1 Answer

Health and Welfare-Financial and Compliance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Southern Company (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

They called me a month after I applied and scheduled me for a prescreening. Afterwards, I got to speak on the phone with the hiring manager. Finally, I was brought in for a 3-hour panel interview. I was told to wait 7-10 days for a response and I didn't hear back until almost a month and a half afterwards. All attempts to obtain an update by me and the HR rep who did the prescreening were ignored. They didn't even bother sending a personal email. Very unprofessional and inconsiderate.

Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Southern Company (Birmingham, AL) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by someone from HR and an interview was set up. On the call/interview was the HR Rep along with (3) others from the company. Their questions were pretty in depth and were standard interview type questions. It was very direct situational questions, and after answering we could move into more of a discussion type interview but it was very structured and controlled by HR and their process

Interview Questions

• Questions related to dealing with teamwork and how you interact and perform in teams and lead to their sucess   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southern Company (Birmingham, AL) in November 2016.

Interview

Interview process was thorough but exactly what you would expect for a company its size and stature. You're vetted regarding your experience, actual skills, group/panel interview, and then more intimate interview. Then basics - background check, drug screening, psy. profile/references.

Finance/Accounting Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southern Company (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Met a Southern Company Representative at a career fair and gave her my resume. The recruiter said I would be a good candidate for Southern's intern program and the company's internship program is a good segway to full time employment with the company. I applied online and received a phone call a week letter to go to HQ for an interview. It was a 3 panel interview with questions such as, Tell me a time when you had to assume a leadership role?, Describe a situation, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to step into a leadership role?   1 Answer

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Southern Company (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied through campus recruiter. The first interview was straightforward and one on one. I received a notification that I had moved on to the next round the next business day. I got a call that same day for a second interview which took place a week later. I got a co-op offer the morning after the interview.

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Southern Company (Birmingham, AL).

Interview

All company interviews involve a panel that includes the hiring manager, HR rep, and 4-5 other employees either in the department or related areas. Each person asks 1 predetermined question, and each candidate gets the same questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would handle a situation where you had to give someone information that they did not agree with?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southern Company in September 2016.

Interview

I did not finish the application process. This employer has the audacity, in a world full of identity theft/fraud, to ask for an applicants' SSNs upfront via their online application system. It will not accept an application without this information and it will not accept 123456789 or 999999999 etc. They do not have a need-to-know or a right-to-know this information at this point in the process (before making an offer and before needing to run a background check). They include a nice little comment that they use a 'secure' system but that's an easy thing to say when you have no skin in the game. By the way, Target had a 'secure' system also and so did the federal government's Office of Personnel Management and so did Blue Cross (and I'm just going from memory here). Do you wanna know what large organizations do when their 'secure' system fails and hurts the people who trusted their 'system'? They provide a $15/mo 'Credit Monitoring Service' for 2yrs ... that's it ... Whew! What a relief! I guess that fixes that.

This utter disregard for the privacy of potential future employees just so HR can have a database full of a private information on every person who has shown an interest in any position at their very large company at any point in time. And I'm also very sure that they would never just share this information to make a buck like every other corporate shill does these days, treating their own customers/employees' information as products to be sold to the highest bidder. I very much look forward to the day that this information is hacked (and it will be eventually) and your reputation suffers and I hope there's a class-action lawsuit b/c that's the only way a large company like this will ever learn.

Instrument Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dothan, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Southern Company (Dothan, AL).

Interview

I was already hired before I walked in the door. They knew the people they wanted. Administrators where in panic mode as they knew that they where losing 1/3 of their people due to retirement in 5 years and it takes at least that long to make an instrument tech.

Interview Questions

• Mundane trivial technical questions.   1 Answer

Systems Operator In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waynesboro, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southern Company (Waynesboro, GA) in August 2016.

Interview

4 person panel interview, it was a very comfortable setting where personal questions as well as technical questions are asked. The process was broken down and at the beginning of the interview, they gave you a sheet with all the questions they will ask. I annotated no in if I got a job but I am still awaiting results.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to deviate from a plan.   1 Answer