Southern Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Southern Company Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Southern Company (Birmingham, AL).

Interview

All company interviews involve a panel that includes the hiring manager, HR rep, and 4-5 other employees either in the department or related areas. Each person asks 1 predetermined question, and each candidate gets the same questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would handle a situation where you had to give someone information that they did not agree with?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southern Company in September 2016.

Interview

I did not finish the application process. This employer has the audacity, in a world full of identity theft/fraud, to ask for an applicants' SSNs upfront via their online application system. It will not accept an application without this information and it will not accept 123456789 or 999999999 etc. They do not have a need-to-know or a right-to-know this information at this point in the process (before making an offer and before needing to run a background check). They include a nice little comment that they use a 'secure' system but that's an easy thing to say when you have no skin in the game. By the way, Target had a 'secure' system also and so did the federal government's Office of Personnel Management and so did Blue Cross (and I'm just going from memory here). Do you wanna know what large organizations do when their 'secure' system fails and hurts the people who trusted their 'system'? They provide a $15/mo 'Credit Monitoring Service' for 2yrs ... that's it ... Whew! What a relief! I guess that fixes that.

This utter disregard for the privacy of potential future employees just so HR can have a database full of a private information on every person who has shown an interest in any position at their very large company at any point in time. And I'm also very sure that they would never just share this information to make a buck like every other corporate shill does these days, treating their own customers/employees' information as products to be sold to the highest bidder. I very much look forward to the day that this information is hacked (and it will be eventually) and your reputation suffers and I hope there's a class-action lawsuit b/c that's the only way a large company like this will ever learn.

Instrument Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dothan, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Southern Company (Dothan, AL).

Interview

I was already hired before I walked in the door. They knew the people they wanted. Administrators where in panic mode as they knew that they where losing 1/3 of their people due to retirement in 5 years and it takes at least that long to make an instrument tech.

Interview Questions

• Mundane trivial technical questions.   1 Answer

Systems Operator In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waynesboro, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southern Company (Waynesboro, GA) in August 2016.

Interview

4 person panel interview, it was a very comfortable setting where personal questions as well as technical questions are asked. The process was broken down and at the beginning of the interview, they gave you a sheet with all the questions they will ask. I annotated no in if I got a job but I am still awaiting results.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to deviate from a plan.   1 Answer

Nuclear Chemist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Southern Company.

Interview

The process went well. It was an interview where various questions were asked to assess how you would respond to a situation. There were a few people in various positions across the company.

Interview Questions

• The ask numerous questions about safety and how you would enforce it.   Answer Question

Document Control Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Southern Company (Birmingham, AL) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview was completely a phone interview. The interviewer was pretty certain I could do the job, so the phone interview didn't last long. It was short and sweet.

Interview Questions

• Was I comfortable working 50 hours a week? Did I need constant supervision? Was I able to work along and unsupervised?   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Southern Company (Birmingham, AL) in May 2016.

Interview

Small panel, basic technical/behavioral/person experiences; relatively laid back. Felt more like conversation among panel members as opposed to a "grilling." Quick 30 minutes, in and out. Be prepared with prior work experiences and how you overcame conflict and how well you are able to communicate to external parties.

Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Southern Company.

Interview

Panel interview with 5 interviewers from different departments. mostly behavioral questions. asked me to describe why I wanted to work there. They also asked a little about my background. Interview was over all easy, just be able to describe the items on your resume.

Interview Questions

• What makes you stand out above other candidates?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to overcome inter-personality issues.   Answer Question

Nuclear Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southern Company (Birmingham, AL).

Interview

The interview was held at Birmingham Office. Upon arrival was sent to medical for a breathalyzer and a drug urine sample. Then it was a standard interview with 5 people taking turns asking questions.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult situation that had to handle?   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Southern Company (Birmingham, AL) in February 2016.

Interview

All of their co-op interviews are behavioral, non-technical. Ive had 4 Interviews with different branches at southern company and they all ask the same questions. Since this is a co-op it is a MUST to show interest in working for the company after you graduate. I had an on campus interview and then got an email for and interview in Alabama, went to that one and didn't get an offer. A week later I got an email for a phone interview with a branch Atlanta which I got an offer for. There are plenty of reviews on here about southern company co op interviews, write down all the interview questions and prepare answers for each question.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for southern company?   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest weakness/strength?   Answer Question
    • Why did you choose your major? (got this question every interview)   Answer Question
    • Do you like working on a team or alone? (also got this question every interview)   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is absolutely no negotiation with the salary with the co-op, I know people who have tried to negotiate and have had their offer revoked. Just remember they are hiring you based on your personality, how much is your personality worth?