Southern Illinois University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Southern Illinois University Interview Questions

Interviews at Southern Illinois University

2.3

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southern Illinois University in January 2017.

Interview

Group interview via Skype.
    Very comfortable and conversational.
    Lasted less than hour but more than 30 minutes.
    Interview felt as a mix between formal and informal.
    The video quality was decent and did not cause any disturbances.
    Received questions from 6-7 professors.

Interview Questions

• Why am I interested in a PhD degree? What is my experience in research?   1 Answer

Assistant Professor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Southern Illinois University.

Interview

Could not get an interview because of their inane affirmative action policies. They ended up hiring people who couldn't effectively communicate and weren't committed to the University and subsequently left.

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carbondale, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Southern Illinois University (Carbondale, IL) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied, and was contacted by email to set up a phone interview. The day after the phone interview, I received a call to offer me the job. It was a very quick process, although the paperwork took a while to come through.

Interview Questions

• How do you teach to students with a variety of skill sets and backgrounds?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no room to negotiate.

Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carbondale, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Southern Illinois University (Carbondale, IL) in May 2009.

Interview

The interview was very easy and simple. The supervisor asked me about myslef and why i thought i was fit for the job. The supervisor was looking for a person who was interesting, great communiation skills and could get along with the people in the department. She was also looking for a person who knew computer systems like excel and word. It was very simply and short.

Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southern Illinois University in August 2013.

Interview

Phone interview was very short.Basically questions regarding my past experiences. Questions include my teaching philosophy. Different techniques that I use to help students. How to handle big class rooms. How to apply technology in the class room. Types of testing techniques. What classes I feel comfortable teaching. what classes I prefer not to teach and why.

Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southern Illinois University.

Interview

Pretty typical process and it was Skype interview. There was only one round for the interview and one week later to relay the news about the position. There were 5 professors and each asked one typical question.

Faculty Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carbondale, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Southern Illinois University (Carbondale, IL) in January 2010.

Interview

Standard university paper application process, phone interview, on-campus interview. Met Dean, Chair, faculty, and current students.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I was willing to have lunch regularly with the other faculty.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Annoying. I refused to accept the position until I received a salary offer. This seemed to be a baffling request for the college administrators. Finally, the Dean came up with a dollar amount. Took about two weeks. I know the other faculty had a negative view of me at first because of that; who knows how the reason for the delay was conveyed to them? But who takes a job w/o finding out what the pay offer is?!

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carbondale, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southern Illinois University (Carbondale, IL) in December 2012.

Interview

After the application you would be contacted and told about the program. There was a racial bias in the hiring, based on the Department Chair. Then they would proceed to tell how great the department was, and what they had to offer the students. It was a good sales pitch, but the reality was that what they said was a lie. They were not even too interested in what your research interests were. They only wanted warm bodies to fill the seats in the classrooms.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carbondale, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Southern Illinois University (Carbondale, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

I got called in for an interview right before the final semester begun. I got the position based on my GPA and my grade in the course for which I was going to be a TA. It's pretty easy when you know the basics in that particular course.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Southern Illinois University.

Interview

Submit online application, and then arranged face-to-face interview. Overall experience was good and easy, just making sure you know the job details and are capable of teaching a class. Good results matters too.