Southern New Hampshire University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 23, 2017

2.6

Director of Admission Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southern New Hampshire University (Manchester, NH) in March 2017.

Interview

Conducted a phone interview first. The face to face interview included ample time to meet with senior leadership, the direct supervisor, and the team. I wish there had been a bit more time to get to know the team and ask further questions, but I still felt like the community and team were able to get to know me, my skills, and that I had time to give my best.

Academic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Southern New Hampshire University (Manchester, NH) in October 2016.

Interview

The Interview and eventual offer consisted of three steps,

1. Initial Phone Interview
    2. In person Interview (this is crucial)
    3. Checking References

I have applied to SNHU 3 times and the third time was the charm! As far as the interview process goes it was on par with any other interview I have done. My background is in education so it is important to be well versed in education and how technology is integrated into education. They also look for customer service experience as well. Overall, it was a fairly painless process which, for me, resulted in an offer!

Interview Questions

• what did you find most difficult about public education and what ultimately made you decide to switch to Higher Education?   Answer Question

Career Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Southern New Hampshire University (Syracuse, NY).

Interview

Applied online through college website
    Received email to schedule interview
    Emailed recruiter for interview time
    Did phone interview with recruiter
    Scheduled Skype Interview for next morning
    Had Skype Interview with program supervisor
    Received call for job offer that same evening.from recruiter
    Accepted offer and scheduled start date

Interview Questions

• How would I implement career readiness for success?   1 Answer

Online Adjunct Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Bay, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Southern New Hampshire University (Palm Bay, FL) in April 2016.

Interview

First one sends transcripts and work evaluations, then one is called for a phone interview.
    Know your answers to the common questions. I sue would recommend common phone practices for interviews, such as being upbeat, being prepared with your best answers, since they may interview many candidates.

There are several other steps to future evaluations, and a Dean may then examine many interviewees (even though i cannot verify that for certain.

Interview Questions

• How do you connect with an adult student?   1 Answer
    • How important is feedback?   1 Answer
    • Can you work well with a supervisor, or mentor, or head who audits your course frequently, to make certain that you are following all expectations.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Southern New Hampshire University.

Interview

Held in house with notification through email and word of mouth announcing opening. Outlook calendar invite sent to secure interview time. Behavioral interview questions asked by two or three higher ups. Results given in about a week.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you needed to manage your time, etc.   1 Answer

Online Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Southern New Hampshire University (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for my transcripts. After they arrived, I received an email stating I would be contacted for an interview "within the next few weeks". That was a Friday. On Monday morning, I was contacted for an interview.

I was sent a fairly inane "faculty survey" to fill out (basically a pre-interview sheet) and the link to a survey that would be sent to my references. They want FIVE references, TWO of which must be managers. Did I mention this is for a PART TIME job that pays less than minimum wage when all is said and done?

I sent back the survey and got in touch with my references on Wednesday. By Thursday, the interviewer was upset that all of my references hadn't gotten to her. Did I mention this is during spring break AND my references had less that 24 hours to respond at this point? Golly, all this pressure on people I admire was really making me want to work for this company!

The interview itself was pleasant enough and took about 30 minutes. I was interviewed by the manager of faculty recruitment. The interviewer was VERY happy with my skills and answers and at the end of the interview told me she was sending me a packet that I needed to have it filled out ASAP (notice a trend?) so I could QUICKLY get into the THREE WEEK UNPAID TRAINING that would follow. All of this so I can start teaching ONE class. IN JUNE. It's March as I type this. Yes, I need to work like a house on fire to get SNHU all of my materials so I can sit around and wait for my low-paying job to start three months later. Awesome!

At the end of the interview, I asked several questions (How often are classes canceled at the last minute? How active does the instructor need to be when facilitating discussion? How many items is an instructor expected to grade each week?") and her answers were either "I don't know, I'll have to get back to you on that." or "That's something you can learn about during the training." Then I asked her how many classes an instructor can teach per term. She told me that for the first few terms, I'd be limited to ONE class and that maybe, MAYBE, after several terms, I could teach two at a time but they prefer to keep instructors to one at a time.

SNHU pays $2200 per course and has six terms each year. That means this position could earn you all of $13,200 for the entire year. Mind you, the college will collect over $200k for your labor and that is a low estimate (6 terms per year, $524 per course hour, each class is 3 course hours, with about 20 students per course (though you may have as many as 28 per class.))

Though I passed to the next round (three weeks unpaid training!) I declined the position. Everyone involved in this should be ashamed.

Interview Questions

• What is the role of customer service in higher education? To what degree should faculty be responsible for providing customer service in their teaching?   1 Answer
    • Our students have a lot going on. Sometimes college has to be their last priority! How would you accommodate a student who needs more time to complete their work because they have a lot going on?   1 Answer
    • When facing a situation where a student does not have the foundational skills to be successful in your course, what do you believe your responsibility to be as an instructor?   1 Answer
    • How is the role of higher education changing? What concerns do you have about the changing nature of higher education today?   1 Answer

Terrible pay, terrible organization.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southern New Hampshire University.

Interview

It was a very easy interview for anyone who has done higher education teaching before. They asked cursory questions about teaching experience and how you would engage online, as well as strategies for reaching out to students having trouble in a course. They seemed to be focused on making a connection between faculty and students.

Interview Questions

• How would you promote engagement in an online class?   Answer Question
    • If you have a student who is struggling with the course material, how might you reach out to him or her?   Answer Question

Academic Advisor-2nd Shift Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Southern New Hampshire University (Manchester, NH) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied for this position on 12/18/2015. I received an email asked for a phone interview on 01/11/2016. I spoke with Jennifer on 01/12/2016 and after phone interview we set up an in person interview on 01/13/2016. I meet with Kyle Winston and Meghan Casello on 01/14/2016 for 30 minutes. I was told I would be contacted directly by Diane about whether or not I would be offer a position. On 01/15/2016 I received a generic email stating " We were pleased to talk with you personally and to learn more about your professional qualifications. Your willingness to provide details concerning your knowledge, skills and experience was greatly appreciated. At this time, We have selected a candidate whose qualifications are a better match to the job requirements"

Interview Questions

• Since this is a second shift position how would you adjust to this work schedule.   1 Answer
    • Since this position will have you working with west coast students, who are primarily adult learners and not traditional student, how would you be able to understand and connect with these types of students.   1 Answer
    • Since you are a SNHU graduate what would you suggest that they do differently than you had done while attending SNHU   1 Answer

Academic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Southern New Hampshire University (Manchester, NH) in January 2016.

Interview

Online application with cover letter and resume. Then phone screening and then interview.I met with an HR person and with three advisors. One or two of advisors were team leads. The interview was approximately 30 minutes long.They asked the standard traditional,behavioral and industry specific questions. The advisors were dressed fairly casually and there was ample opportunity to ask questions of them.

Adjunct Faculty Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southern New Hampshire University.

Interview

Found it very odd that you were not interviewed by a supervisor, but rather by a scheduler or recruiter. They are looking for people who already know how to use Blackboard to teach online. Interview experience went very well.