Southern Railway (UK) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Southern Railway (UK) Interview Questions

Interviews at Southern Railway (UK)

3.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Southern Railway (UK)

Sort:

SALES CLERK Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Southern Railway (UK) (London, England (UK)) in January 2013.

Interview

First I had to fill a long form. There was a test next and they checked my mathematic skills, ability to communicate and understanding the ticketing system- I had some materials sent to me 2 weeks earlier so I had time to prepare. It lasted 30 minutes. After passing this, there was an interview with two senior managers, who asked me approximately 7 questions, the questions were basics, for example describe when you had to deal with a difficult customer. The second part also lasted around 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example when you had to deal with a difficult situation?
      What is your weakness?   Answer Question

Assistant Executive Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southern Railway (UK) (Chennai (India)).

Interview

Initially recruited as Junior Engineer through Railway Recruitment Board. The qualification required for this post is a three year Diploma course in relevant field of Engineering. The next grade is Senior Section Engineer. 80% is by Promotion of Junior Engineers by conducting departmental exam and 20% direct recruitment by Engineering graduates.

Normally exams are not tough. one day exam, interview one day and medical examination. Now interview is done away with for initial recruitment through Railway Recruitment Board.

Interview Questions

• As far as Technical Supervising Engineer cadre is concerned there is no time limit for work as trains are to be run round the clock - rest and time being with family is limited. Even Officers of Class I service at all level are required to be at designated spot in short notice.   1 Answer

Gate Line Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Croydon, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Southern Railway (UK) (Croydon, England (UK)) in June 2013.

Interview

Online Test than Assessment. Finally job interview and the medical examination. You have to apply online for all the jobs and if you pass the CV screening phase they will invite you for the assessment. The assessment usually contains 3-5 phases and less and less candidates passes to the final phase. Written test first, than concentration exercise. If you lucky enough and passed the assessment they invite you for the group task or just a one to one task exercise.

Interview Questions

• Situation task for the service disruption at the railway and airport hub. You will get the description of the situation and have to remember the terms and conditions when you answer the questions.   1 Answer
    • How would you deal with a difficult customer?
      Tell me about the time when you were proud to work for this company or your job.
      Describe the situation when you went extra mile.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase. This is an entry level job and the terms and conditions are not negotiable. Just take it or leave it. When you receive the formal job offer by post you need to accept it and respond by post.

Trainee Train Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Southern Railway (UK) (London, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied Online, received invite for assessment day 2 days after closing date. 5pm the day before my interview I was asked if I could come in later (which was okay but I don't feel it was very professional), I was also not given any practice material to look at.

Day of assessment I was asked to look at 11 pages of a timetable and figure out (somehow) how many trains and staff members were needed to run this train service. Considering this was for a trainee role I found it surprising that they would ask you to figure this out, we had no scale to go by so I am not really sure how we were expected to work this out.

There was 6 of us in the room and a few were from a train background and found this easy but clearly myself and the others were struggling. We were then asked to discuss our workings in front of each other.

I feel that the assessment is too much for a trainee role and practice material should be provided.

In the waiting room members of staff were complaining how hard the recruitment process is, if staff who already work at southern think this how are people who are trying to change career meant to succeed?