Southwest Airlines Communications Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Southwest Airlines Communications Interview Questions

Updated Feb 15, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied and received an internship position for Summer 2017.

1. Submitted resume for review (can apply to as many positions as you want).
2. Contacted to submit a writing sample (prompt "Why Southwest?") was given only a few days to complete.
3. Phone interviewed. I received notice that I was in the running for four positions. Sometimes, they'll interview you for more than one position at a time if it falls under the same recruiter. I did two phone interviews- they were very straightforward and covered my resume/experience.
4. Contacted by phone to come to HQ in Dallas, Texas just a few weeks later.
5. The interview was very comfortable and straightforward. The recruiters were genuine. There are no "trick" questions and they don't drill you – it's more a conversation. I was interviewed by the recruiter who phone interviewed me and the SWA employee who would oversee my team. It seemed like they were most interested in seeing if I had the experience and if I would fit with the company culture.
6. Heard back the next day!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Communications Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

First, I applied in November and by January I was asked to write the "Why Southwest?" essay. A couple weeks later I was scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview lasts for 20 minutes and if you make it past the phone interview they will fly you to Dallas for a second interview.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

You apply online about a month before they start to get back to you. If you make it past the online application they have a recruiter call you to set up a time for a phone interview. On the phone they tell you about the position, and then ask you basic interview questions. They make you feel very comfortable. If you make it through the phone, you then get flown into headquarters and they meet with you, the recruiter, and some of the team members you work with. They make you feel very relaxed and just chat with you.

Interview Questions

• Why Southwest, Why your major, How have you used ___ skill?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

In September 2014 I applied for the Summer 2015 communications internship. I was contacted at the beginning of January 2015 to submit a one-page essay (the topic was "Why Southwest?") and had a week or so to write and submit that. I was contacted late February to schedule a phone interview that took place in mid-march and lasted 20 minutes. Finally, at the end of March, I was asked to come in for an in person interview. This took place in early April and lasted about an hour. I interviewed with my future manager and a recruiter. I was offered the position mid-April and accepted.

Communications Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

I applied online, which requires a resume and Why Southwest essay. Then, I was contacted regarding a phone interview. The phone interview lasted more about a half an hour. It was with one person and mostly reviewed my resume to make sure of its authenticity as well as explored my career goals. I made it to the final round, in which they fly you to headquarters, but I was studying abroad and therefore had another phone interview. They warned me that it put me at disadvantage. It was almost an hour and there were about five people listening and asking questions. At this point, there were people representing different internship positions.

Interview Questions

• Why did you pick your major/why is communications important   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

Applied online, received follow-up a few weeks later asking me to send a "Why Southwest?" essay and a current resume. After that, was contacted for a phone interview and then was flown to Dallas for an in-person interview.