Southwest Airlines Customer Service Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Southwest Airlines Customer Service Agent Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2017

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Denver, CO) in May 2015.

Interview

2 phone calls and then face to face interview. First phone call was basic questions on why I wanted to work for Southwest and going over the job description. Second phone call was more in depth. Face to face was quick and easy and laid back.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

First you apply online thru the Southwest careers web site. If your application is selected you will be contacted for a phone interview which lasts 20 to 30 minutes. The interviewer was very nice and willing to clarify any questions asked. If they move you on to the next step, the phone interviewer will call you to schedule an in person interview with the hiring manager for the airport you chose. The interview last between 45 and 1 1/2 hours. Like all interviews be honest and open. They will contact you within 2 weeks to inform you of your interview status, if you are chosen you start the paperwork process. Be prepared to fill out a lot of paperwork and return the emails as quickly as you can. Also, the background check can take a few weeks so be patient.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Denver, CO) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied online and received a call about a week later for a phone interview and then a week later was invited to Denver for a F2F. It was short probably only 15 minutes or so. There is a manager in the room as well but she didn't ask any questions she was just observing. Then a week later was called back to do fingerprinting and drug testing. Yes its a casual airline but I saw people at the interview who were not looking professional, so dress nice.

Interview Questions

• What is one policy or procedure at your current job that you disagree with?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None.

Anonymous Employee in Linthicum, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Linthicum, MD) in May 2010.

Interview

Job openings are posted around 5am & are taken down usually by 9am, when they've received the number of applicants whose resumes they can evaluate that day. When applying, if you don't answer the multiple-choice questions the way they want, you won't be considered for the position. A recruiter there actually told me to lie, just to get past the automated system's filter.
    After you find an open listing, apply in time & answer the questions correctly, a recruiter will call you (within about 4-7 days) for a brief phone interview with extremely basic questions. After you pass that stage, you'll be emailed, asking that you go to the company's regional People Department for a formal interview. The People Department can be 100s of miles from the airport where you'd be working, & you (the applicant) are responsible for any costs or travel incurred because of the interview.
    Next, you'll meet with a member of the People Department for a face-to-face interview. It's critical to be punctual, appear extremely upbeat, eager, & able to handle any challenges Southwest's customers could throw at you. It helps to remember the 3 values that Southwest prides themselves on: servant's heart, warrior spirit, & fun-loving attitude.
    The recruiter didn't give any indication of whether or not he would recommend I be hired. I found out later that since the background check can take about 3 weeks, they don't tell you anything until they make sure you don't have a criminal past. Roughly 3 weeks after the interview, I got a call saying I was hired. They usually hire several people at once, so that they can all train together. They'll give you one or two dates to start on. I think the first one was about a week away. I said I needed to give my other job 2 weeks notice, so I took the 2nd start date that he mentioned. I was given the impression that if neither of the dates they offered worked for me, that they would retract the job offer.
    After I was hired, I was told that statistically, it's easier to get accepted to Harvard University than it is to get hired by Southwest (because sooooo many people apply & don't make it).

Interview Questions

• Are you SURE that you've never committed a felony or misdemeanor?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation: it's a union job, so everyone has the same starting rate. Raises are by seniority, never merit-based.

Customer Service Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in July 2011.

Interview

Job was advertised mid July, to which I applied. I was contacted by e-mail 1-2 days later to schedule a phone interview, though they could not accommodate a phone interview for another 2 days. Phone interview was informal, mostly questions about myself or my resume, and advised what my job would entail, including pay which was non negotiable (and very low.. faaaaar less than my previous job). The interviewer on the phone was very friendly and advised I had passed and will be scheduled for a face to face interview. The face to face interview was booked for 4 days later. The face to face interview was ok, 4 people interviewed and lots of general interview questions about my past jobs and about me, luckily I'd done my homework and expected what I would be asked. A week and a half later I received a call advising I had passed to the next step - background checks. They work with another company to do background checks, the company was easy to work with, but if you don't reply straight away they will bombard you with e-mails and calls until you do. There were also drug tests to do and later on fingerprinting once the background checks were complete. I was flown to Phoenix for fingerprinting, this was fun since you are getting sent to fly for free! Back within the same day, then generally it was a week later I was sent to the airport to get my airport badge and sign a few forms. It wasn't until 4 weeks later you are once again sent to Phoenix to finish your airport badge forms and a meet and greet other new hires from yours and other stations. My start date was a week after that, 2 months of playing the waiting game... wow, too long for some people, especially ones in desperate need of money asap. I heard and read a lot of people cannot wait this long for job processing and accept other jobs because they are far quicker in getting you started.

I do wonder now if it was worth going through all this to work there, the employee culture they so proudly advertise may well be a lie, though it may just be that Southwest has just changed. At the moment I do not feel the work environment is as I've read. Since I've started I feel quite unwelcome and uncomfortable. Already I sense a lot of gossip within the station. Apparently its ok to get yelled at by a customer, yet they are renowned for putting employees before customers. If you make a mistake or don't do everything by the book, you can be terminated. Apparently they don't mind losing smart people, and there doesn't seem to be any leeway in making a mistake. Termination and warning letters is something they seem to like quoting. Wow I wonder how long I will stay here for...

Customer Service Agent Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in April 2017.

Interview

Interviewer went over benefits and the job description, then asked about why I left all previous jobs. Also asked about how many years of customer service experience I had. Now I'm waiting to hear if I got a F2F interview.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you like about helping customers?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Saint Louis, MO) in March 2017.

Interview

I was told phone interview would be approximately 10 minutes. The initial questions required a "yes" or "no" response. These questions included the hourly rate, working holidays and working mandatory overtime.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied Dec. 12, phone interview Dec. 14, F2F scheduled for Dec 15.

Turned down offer to drive to Washington DC for F2F interview. Starting pay is $13/hr which is not enough for me to be able to relocate, unfortunately.

Customer Service Agent Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

Very simple process. I submitted my application online. Within a few days I received a date to complete a phone interview. The phone interview focused on my work history. They also asked why do you want to work for Southwest. What did I know about the duties of the CSA. Why do I wanna work for Southwest.
    After that I was informed that I would be moving on to the face to the face. Had the face to face interview. Met with the woman from HR. Again, went over my application. She asked a few basic questions. Again, why do you wanna work for Southwest. Name a time you had to deal with a difficult person. It was a very laid back interview. After the face to face I was told I was moving on to the background and finger printing.
    Read all the interview questions on Glass door and you will be fine.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Denver, CO) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied for the Customer Service Agent position Sept. 4, 2016. On Sept. 9, 2016, I received a phone call to set up a phone interview, which I scheduled for the following Monday the 12th. The recruiter was VERY friendly and was extremely helpful with everything. After the phone interview, which was about 10mins, she asked me to do a f2f interview on Oct. 5th. The f2f was with an HR rep and a cust. service rep from my airport, DEN. It lasted maybe 45 minutes and they offered me the position. I did my fingerprints and filled out background check info that same day, drug testing was scheduled for the next day, Oct. 6th. They told me the background check is extensive and can take 2-4wks, and not to get discouraged. On Nov. 11th, they formally offered my the position and I start on Dec. 15th :) would've been sooner but I have a vacation planned that would've interfered with an earlier start date.