Southwest Airlines Interview Questions in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 10, 2017

2.7

Operations Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Denver, CO) in November 2016.

Interview

Online test, then a 15 minute phone interview. Final interview was hurried as if I was bothering interviewer and she was late for lunch. Dismissive, impersonal interview. Ops Agent was in interview as well, "helping". I think she said 9 words. Very unsatisfying interview. Ding Email arrived on Thanksgiving. Stay classy Southwest.

Interview Questions

• Same CSR questions as everywhere else.. name a time something went wrong, how did you handle it.. etc etc.   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Denver, CO) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied for the Customer Service Agent position Sept. 4, 2016. On Sept. 9, 2016, I received a phone call to set up a phone interview, which I scheduled for the following Monday the 12th. The recruiter was VERY friendly and was extremely helpful with everything. After the phone interview, which was about 10mins, she asked me to do a f2f interview on Oct. 5th. The f2f was with an HR rep and a cust. service rep from my airport, DEN. It lasted maybe 45 minutes and they offered me the position. I did my fingerprints and filled out background check info that same day, drug testing was scheduled for the next day, Oct. 6th. They told me the background check is extensive and can take 2-4wks, and not to get discouraged. On Nov. 11th, they formally offered my the position and I start on Dec. 15th :) would've been sooner but I have a vacation planned that would've interfered with an earlier start date.

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Denver, CO) in October 2016.

Interview

This was a phone interview, mostly verifying application information, and a few easy questions. Nothing hard to answer. Very straight forward. Took about 20 minutes. Still haven't heard back from them... still pending.

Interview Questions

• Describe an incident where you had to deal with an escalated problem?   1 Answer

Operations Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Denver, CO).

Interview

The interview process both by the over the phone recruiter and face to face recruiter in Denver was great. However, SWA has people in the HR (The People Department) that are contractors and these people go over the background check that was performed. There is a CONTRACTOR either in the SWA office or somewhere else named Taylor Privitt. This is the biggest jerk i have ever had to talk to . You talk to all these awesome people with SWA and then this guy gets you on the phone and really, the word jerk, is an understatement. In fact, it still amazes me that this person is allowed to work for such an upbeat company. Be careful what boxes you check on an application. I was retired from the FAA for 18 months, had a sole proprietorship business to keep busy WHEN I WANTED TO and this piece of work, really thinks he is doing the airline a favor, has NO intentions of listening to you whatsoever. I checked FULL TIME because I did it full time, which is when I wanted to. But these people can't wrap their head around anything but a standard definition of full time hours, and apply it as THEY see fit, not how the law reads.

The best thing about all of this, I didn't get a job at SWA for $13/hour.. I'm still working at my current employer for $25/hour plus my pension from the FAA so I'm making probably 3x what this idiot makes. I thought it would be great to work for them, and I still do. But the problem is with a contractor (who has barely any background in any type of personnel structure or dealing with people that have already had a career.. just look at his Linkedin account)... And to top it off, the recruiter even ordered up the drug test that I took.. I have a clean background check and no one there can be truthful as to why i didn't get an offer, after being GRILLED by this contractor who has no personal skills whatsoever. So if you get lucky to get far enough and then have the above named handle your application, chances are he is doing EVERYTHING HE POSSIBLY CAN to make sure you don't get a job.

I rated the overall great because everyone I dealt with that was with SWA was awesome! It was a CONTRACTOR that sucked!

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a customer that had to be bumped off a flight and rebooked?   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Denver, CO) in August 2016.

Interview

Phone interview. Was told the position they were hiring, the salary, willingness to do shift work and mandatory overtime and asked if I was in agreement with these terms. The interviewer was not engaging and did not add to the conversation. She sounded disinterested and hurried through the questions she was asking. I knew she was going through the motions. It was frustrating because I got a form email 3 days later saying..."SWA is fortunate to get many qualified applicants, blah, blah, blah". I would rock a face to face interview, but never got the chance.

Interview Questions

• Name a customer service problem and how you solved it?   Answer Question
    • What are the duties of a SWA customer service representative?   Answer Question

Southwest Airlines Response

Jan 30, 2017 – Specialist

Thank you for providing feedback from your interview. We spend an inordinate amount of time on hiring to ensure we are hiring those who share our values. We definitely understand in-person interviews ... More

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Denver, CO) in March 2016.

Interview

Submitted resume and cover letter through Southwest Airlines website. I received a call about a week later and was asked to fill out paper work via an email that was sent. I had two days to complete, which I did. After that, I received another call asking me to interview in Denver. That interview was very laid back....but quick. At the end, I had another bit of paperwork to fill out, got fingerprinted, then told to get a drug test at another facility as soon as possible. After all of that was done, it took about two to three weeks before I got a call telling me that I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your last job?
      What skills from your previous job would help you with this one?
      What are your career aspirations?
      Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Denver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Denver, CO) in December 2015.

Interview

Excellenct process. Telephone interview recruiter was friendly and easy to speak with. Approachable recruiters that put you at ease throughout the one on one interview. Everybody looks happy and really seem to enjoy their jobs. Excited to work for such a great company

Interview Questions

• What would you like to see Southwest do for you in the future   1 Answer

Ramp Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Denver, CO) in November 2015.

Interview

Way to long, for someone with sixteen years experience , that has also held a SIDS badge.Plus the starting wage is ridiculous , for experience level. I still want this job , but many good canadets are being lossed because of these practice.

Interview Questions

• If I was physically able to do the job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Denver, CO) in September 2015.

Interview

Received a basic interview by phone by human resources worker in Dallas. He asked the basic questions which were on the applicant forms I filled out online. I asked about advancement and he indicated they were looking for long term commitment to position

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked for Southwest before?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Denver, CO) in July 2015.

Interview

I sent in an application and was contacted two days later to correct the application and ensure it was right. I then followed up two weeks later and was called by another People Department member to ensure it was accurate. Shortly thereafter I was invited to a face-to-face interview in the city I wanted to work in. This was amended to a group hiring session before I arrived, but I still got a face-to-face interview, which went well, and was fingerprinted and drug screened for my background check, as well as being granted a conditional job offer.

The following two weeks were harrowing, as I consistently bounced emails back and forth with the background check contractor, sending them a number of relevant documents.

Four days after my last communication from the contractor, I received a phone call from SWA asking me to walk them through one of the more complicated years on my background check. I explained and received another phone call an hour later with a formal job offer. At that time we determined a start date that worked out and discussed relocation and the required baseline hearing test (Nothing to stress over, unless you're 100% deaf. If you're that deaf you have no business working around airplanes, because you might not notice them if you can't hear them and they definitely won't see you). I then received emails concerning this. My hire date was my start date. Any information received on or after my start date is considered sensitive but suffice it to say that of 250,000 applications received by Southwest this year, just over 4100 were hired, and most of those had to apply two or more times. The major things they're looking for are:
    1) Enthusiasm! Southwest wants happy people who will make their customers and coworkers feel accepted.
    2) Reliability. Southwest has a large pool to choose from, and require nothing but the best. The hiring process is deliberately complicated and requires a good bit of interaction on the side of the applicant in order to ensure the applicant is reliable. Southwest also has a very strict attendance policy for new hires. Don't miss work, don't be late, especially not in your first 180 days of employment.
    3) Ability to Learn. Southwest doesn't expect you to pick up everything perfectly, but you need to be quick on your mental feet. There's a lot of information and being a Ramp Agent involves safely driving up to 18 different types of vehicles in a dangerous area around very big, heavy machines that move fast. Pay attention and ask questions. Communicating well also helps.
    4) Longevity. They're looking for people to work for them for at least 5 years in some capacity, but would really like it if you stayed longer. Mentioning that you're looking for a career, not a job, does help. DO NOT TREAT THIS LIKE JUST ANOTHER JOB. This is one of those jobs you don't want to lose and it might just be one of the best you ever had. The benefits don't hurt either.

Above all, stay positive, stay on top of your phone and email, and don't be discouraged by being told no.

Interview Questions

• The biggest open-ended questions are "Why Southwest?" and "Why did you pick this position specifically / what about your previous experience do you think will most help you in this position?"   Answer Question