Southwest Airlines Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 2, 2017

2.8

47 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

I originally applied for the summer 2017 internship and was notified that I did not get it. Four months later I was contacted by a campus recruiter asking for my resume and updated portfolio and if I was interested in the same internship but for the fall. Fours hours after I sent her this, the recruiter asked if I want to do a phone interview and at the end of my phone interview asked me to come down to Dallas for an in person interview. I was interviewed by the campus recruiter and three other individuals from the department I was applying for. They asked basic behavioral questions and had me walk the through my portfolio. Four hours after my interview they called to offer me the internship.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone Interview followed by in-person interview. Turned in Why Southwest Essay and Rec letters at the interview. Phone interview was just with the recruiter. In-person interview had the same recruiter and the addition of the hiring managers for the team with the position. Applied in October. Interviewed in February. Got the offer at the beginning of March. Started in May.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The whole process spanned sometime from November - February but they were very responsive with contact. The interviews themselves were very conversational and the coordinators/recruiters make sure that you are comfortable! Honestly a very seamless and easy process that helps you be yourself.

Interview Questions

• Why Southwest?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Asked a lot of questions about resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I submitted my application in October. I was contacted to set up a phone interview in January, and then I had an in-person interview in Dallas in February. Everybody I interacted with throughout the process was very friendly and the interviews were formal, yet conversational.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

There were a total of two interviews. One phone screening with the Campus Reach recruiter that lasted about 30 mins. A few weeks later Southwest flew me out fora face to face interview with the recruiter and the entire department/team.

Application

Interview

Process took 5+ months. Was first asked to complete a phone interview with a recruiter. Lasted about 45 minutes. Essentially, it was a get to know you interview and asked why you want to intern here and why you would be a good fit. If this interview goes well, you will then be invited to a F2F interview in Dallas (HDQ). This interview was roughly a half hour of questions and chatting. They will fly you down and back and potentially put you up in a hotel depending on your departure city and availability.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2017.

Interview

Submitted application online for two different Summer internship experiences. Received emails that I was still in the running for the position. Was asked for a link to my portfolio website/a PDF version to be reviewed. Received phone call to setup phone interview time. At the end of phone interview, was invited down to HQ in Dallas for an in-person interview with the team.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online and didn't hear back for at least a month
    Had multiple phone interviews with different recruiters and managers and felt like I had the same conversation with each of them
    Came in for an in person interview (they will fly you in if you don't live in dallas already) and it was very conversational and casual
    Got a call back a week later and accepted

Interview Questions

• What classes have you taken in college that best prepare you for this internship   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

It started with a phone interview. The conversation was very choppy and I could tell that the interviewer was inexperienced and was just asking questions from a list. The interviewer told me that I would hear back within two weeks. After four weeks, I contacted the recruiter and was informed that no news was essentially good news. Two weeks after I contacted the recruiter, I heard back and was asked to come in for an in person interview. The in person interview required a lengthy background check form that took several hours to fill out and required letters of recommendation. The in person interview went exceptionally well and days later I was contacted asking for samples of my work. I submitted it. I was also asked for another sample of work, which took several hours to complete. I was told I would hear back within a week and a half. I never heard anything. Two weeks after I was supposed to have heard, I contacted the recruiter. The recruiter scheduled a time for us to have a discussion. I made sure to take time out of my week (at this point it was finals week at school) to talk with the recruiter. On the phone I was informed that I didn't receive the position. I was irritated that the recruiter took the time to schedule a phone call. If from the beginning I had been told that I would only hear back if I got it, or I was told to expect a call on a certain day around a certain time, I would have been satisfied with the experience. My issue was that I felt they wouldn't have told me that I did not get the position if I hadn't asked and then they asked for more of my time by requesting a scheduled phone call. With all of the efforts I went through to interview, they should have been upfront and told me when they made a decision or they should have said that I would not hear back if I did not get the position.
    I learned from someone who actually interned there that some interns just get the positions because they know people who already work there. I also shared my experience with other people who had interviewed for other positions in the past and they noted that they had similar experiences. I know other people who have interned there who didn't find out that they got the position until a week or two before it started.
    Honestly, I know that they are ranked as a top place to intern, but unless you know someone who can get you in, the application process isn't worth it. There are many other companies in the DFW area that offer really great internships and will not make you jump through hoops and take enormous amounts of time out of your schedule to make it through the interview process. I also know that if you get a position after being an intern, you will not be able to afford to live on your own in the DFW area because of their below average pay. I still think it's a great company, it's just not worth the effort when you're just starting out.

Interview Questions

Southwest Airlines Response

Jan 30, 2017 – Specialist

Thanks for your interest in an internship at Southwest, and for this feedback. Our process does take some time given the required background check (safety first!) and our focus on giving every... More

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in October 2016.

Interview

Very Brief 20 minute phone call asking general things about why Southwest and why the specific position. Definitely take the time to research the company and be prepared to know why you fit the company culture at Southwest. They are very slow to get back to you to let you know whether or not you move on to the F2F interview.