Southwest Airlines Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Southwest Airlines Intern Interview Questions

2.6

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2017.

Interview

Submitted application online for two different Summer internship experiences. Received emails that I was still in the running for the position. Was asked for a link to my portfolio website/a PDF version to be reviewed. Received phone call to setup phone interview time. At the end of phone interview, was invited down to HQ in Dallas for an in-person interview with the team.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

It started with a phone interview. The conversation was very choppy and I could tell that the interviewer was inexperienced and was just asking questions from a list. The interviewer told me that I would hear back within two weeks. After four weeks, I contacted the recruiter and was informed that no news was essentially good news. Two weeks after I contacted the recruiter, I heard back and was asked to come in for an in person interview. The in person interview required a lengthy background check form that took several hours to fill out and required letters of recommendation. The in person interview went exceptionally well and days later I was contacted asking for samples of my work. I submitted it. I was also asked for another sample of work, which took several hours to complete. I was told I would hear back within a week and a half. I never heard anything. Two weeks after I was supposed to have heard, I contacted the recruiter. The recruiter scheduled a time for us to have a discussion. I made sure to take time out of my week (at this point it was finals week at school) to talk with the recruiter. On the phone I was informed that I didn't receive the position. I was irritated that the recruiter took the time to schedule a phone call. If from the beginning I had been told that I would only hear back if I got it, or I was told to expect a call on a certain day around a certain time, I would have been satisfied with the experience. My issue was that I felt they wouldn't have told me that I did not get the position if I hadn't asked and then they asked for more of my time by requesting a scheduled phone call. With all of the efforts I went through to interview, they should have been upfront and told me when they made a decision or they should have said that I would not hear back if I did not get the position.
    I learned from someone who actually interned there that some interns just get the positions because they know people who already work there. I also shared my experience with other people who had interviewed for other positions in the past and they noted that they had similar experiences. I know other people who have interned there who didn't find out that they got the position until a week or two before it started.
    Honestly, I know that they are ranked as a top place to intern, but unless you know someone who can get you in, the application process isn't worth it. There are many other companies in the DFW area that offer really great internships and will not make you jump through hoops and take enormous amounts of time out of your schedule to make it through the interview process. I also know that if you get a position after being an intern, you will not be able to afford to live on your own in the DFW area because of their below average pay. I still think it's a great company, it's just not worth the effort when you're just starting out.

Interview Questions

Southwest Airlines Response

Jan 30, 2017 – Specialist

Thanks for your interest in an internship at Southwest, and for this feedback. Our process does take some time given the required background check (safety first!) and our focus on giving every... More

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in October 2016.

Interview

Very Brief 20 minute phone call asking general things about why Southwest and why the specific position. Definitely take the time to research the company and be prepared to know why you fit the company culture at Southwest. They are very slow to get back to you to let you know whether or not you move on to the F2F interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Start with the phone interview and wait for about 3 weeks and got an interview invitation. The people are all nice and friendly! They asked basic questions like what did you do and what is your personal goal. Not that difficult but I did not well prepared, so I didn't get the offer from them.

Interview Questions

• Why Southwest Airlines? What did you do and why you do that? Also, asking about your personal goal, what is your favorite class, and so on   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Initial application, followed by a couple of phone screens, then an in person interview at HQ in Dallas. This was spread out from October to March, definitely a long process. The interviewers were all very friendly and helpful, and provided great feedback even if they didn't give an offer. My only complaint would be the time that the process took. There were long delays at some stages.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

There was phone interview and a group interview if you did well on the phone interview. It wasn't a difficult interview if you came prepared. The interviewers were extremely friendly and attentive to what I had to share with them. It is a great representation of the wider company.

Intern Interview

Interview

I applied online. The entire process took a little over 3 months. I uploaded my resume, then I heard back from them a month later asking me to write a "Why Southwest" essay. I later had a phone interview, and if you pass that then they will fly you to their headquarters in Dallas.

Interview Questions

• The questions were typical interview questions. Why are you a good fit for Southwest? What is your biggest weakness? They also asked about my previous internship a lot.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in October 2014.

Interview

Schedule a time and one week later take a Phone interview with an HR person. Ask many questions about your resume, projects, classes, internship experiences, leadership experience. Questions are not so hard. No behavior questions, only regular interview questions. It is about 20 min. Then wait for the next process, on site interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Interview

phone Interview: general behavioral questions like why southwest? why this position? why your major? past experience (from your resume)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied online and several weeks later was contacted for an updated resume. After that was called to set up a phone interview, which was basically just a recruiter explaining the position, hours, wage, etc. He asked maybe three or four open-ended questions like "Tell me why you chose your major." After that I was notified that I was being flown out to Dallas for an interview with the recruiter and another manager from the department. The facilities were nice and everyone seemed helpful. The interview was fairly lengthy, with a lot of discussion about my skills, experience, and personality. Very often during the interview one answer would lead to another spontaneous question, such as "You mentioned [blank], have you ever been in a situation like that, where you had to [blank]?" as in, have you ever not delivered a service in time and had to explain to a client why you weren't able to meet the deadline? The interview was not very scripted and was more serious that I expected from Southwest. I heard back in a few weeks that they had offered the internship to someone with a bit more experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Southwest?   Answer Question
    • What types of systems are you familiar with?   1 Answer