Southwest Airlines Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2017

2.8

45 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied online and several weeks later was contacted for an updated resume. After that was called to set up a phone interview, which was basically just a recruiter explaining the position, hours, wage, etc. He asked maybe three or four open-ended questions like "Tell me why you chose your major." After that I was notified that I was being flown out to Dallas for an interview with the recruiter and another manager from the department. The facilities were nice and everyone seemed helpful. The interview was fairly lengthy, with a lot of discussion about my skills, experience, and personality. Very often during the interview one answer would lead to another spontaneous question, such as "You mentioned [blank], have you ever been in a situation like that, where you had to [blank]?" as in, have you ever not delivered a service in time and had to explain to a client why you weren't able to meet the deadline? The interview was not very scripted and was more serious that I expected from Southwest. I heard back in a few weeks that they had offered the internship to someone with a bit more experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Southwest?   Answer Question
  • What types of systems are you familiar with?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in October 2011.

Interview

There are four stages of the application process: initial online application, essay, phone interview, and in-person interview. For all of these stages, I would recommend doing your research on the company to make sure you are seen as passionate. Also, show your Fun-LUVing Attitude, Warrior Spirit, and Servant's Heart.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

I applied in April for the Fall internships. Yes, April. They get thousands of applicants so they need a lot of time to process the resumes. I was contacted for a phone interview, and a couple weeks later was contacted to complete an in-person interview at headquarters in Dallas. They flew me down and I had three interviews. These were very different than any I've had before. It was very much based on what my personality fit would be within the company, not just my personal accomplishments. Otherwise standard situational questions. I flew down in May for the interview and was contacted the second week of June notifying me I had been selected. Everyone is very nice, and even if you don't get past the phone interview, they will give you advice for improvement if you request it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about how you show your Warrior Spirt and fun-LUVing attitude in past jobs?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation at SWA.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in May 2010.

Interview

You apply for the job online. If they decide to move you to the next round, you write an essay about why you want to work there. Then, they fly potential candidates to headquarters and sometimes put you in a hotel overnight. You interview at headquarters then you find out in about a week. If you accept, you have to submit to a background check and take a drug test. I interviewed with an HR person and two people from the department I hoped to intern in. Everyone was very nice and helpful. Word travels fast, so if you are rude to any of the frontline employees, don't expect an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

I originally applied for the summer 2017 internship and was notified that I did not get it. Four months later I was contacted by a campus recruiter asking for my resume and updated portfolio and if I was interested in the same internship but for the fall. Fours hours after I sent her this, the recruiter asked if I want to do a phone interview and at the end of my phone interview asked me to come down to Dallas for an in person interview. I was interviewed by the campus recruiter and three other individuals from the department I was applying for. They asked basic behavioral questions and had me walk the through my portfolio. Four hours after my interview they called to offer me the internship.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for the internship position in October, heard back from SWA recruiter in December about a phone screening. Phone Screening happened in February followed by an in person interview in March. Accepted the offer a week later.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online and didn't hear back for at least a month
    Had multiple phone interviews with different recruiters and managers and felt like I had the same conversation with each of them
    Came in for an in person interview (they will fly you in if you don't live in dallas already) and it was very conversational and casual
    Got a call back a week later and accepted

Interview Questions

• What classes have you taken in college that best prepare you for this internship   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

One of the most pleasant hiring processes I have ever had. It was quick compared to some of my other experiences. The recruiter I had was a great guy and very helpful. I interviewed with my future manager and the director of the department I was going into.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with conflict in the workplace and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I submitted my application in October. I was contacted to set up a phone interview in January, and then I had an in-person interview in Dallas in February. Everybody I interacted with throughout the process was very friendly and the interviews were formal, yet conversational.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The whole process spanned sometime from November - February but they were very responsive with contact. The interviews themselves were very conversational and the coordinators/recruiters make sure that you are comfortable! Honestly a very seamless and easy process that helps you be yourself.

Interview Questions

• Why Southwest?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Asked a lot of questions about resume.   Answer Question