Southwest Airlines Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 29, 2017

2.8

45 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Intern Interview

Interview

Apply online, several months ahead of internship time. Phone interview followed up. Flying to Dallas on-site interview. Great atmosphere. Lovely people. Be prepared to talk about your resume and be yourself for unexpected questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Intern Interview

Interview

First Phone Interview, and one on one interview in HDQ, Dallas TX.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

Started with a phone interview, basic questions on my resume and coursework. Then asked some basic HR questions. Then was followed up with another phone interview going into position details. Was called back a month later and invited for a in person interview in Dallas.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Start with the phone interview and wait for about 3 weeks and got an interview invitation. The people are all nice and friendly! They asked basic questions like what did you do and what is your personal goal. Not that difficult but I did not well prepared, so I didn't get the offer from them.

Interview Questions

• Why Southwest Airlines? What did you do and why you do that? Also, asking about your personal goal, what is your favorite class, and so on   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2011.

Interview

Typical behavioral interview, asked question like "what are strengths and weaknesses", and "what do you do in your free time." Also, spoke for quite some time about position and decision making process. Very scripted. Was told I might be flown out and asked for my drivers license info, next day received an email (not a personal one, sent to all who were rejected) saying I wasn't selected

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

It started with a phone interview. The conversation was very choppy and I could tell that the interviewer was inexperienced and was just asking questions from a list. The interviewer told me that I would hear back within two weeks. After four weeks, I contacted the recruiter and was informed that no news was essentially good news. Two weeks after I contacted the recruiter, I heard back and was asked to come in for an in person interview. The in person interview required a lengthy background check form that took several hours to fill out and required letters of recommendation. The in person interview went exceptionally well and days later I was contacted asking for samples of my work. I submitted it. I was also asked for another sample of work, which took several hours to complete. I was told I would hear back within a week and a half. I never heard anything. Two weeks after I was supposed to have heard, I contacted the recruiter. The recruiter scheduled a time for us to have a discussion. I made sure to take time out of my week (at this point it was finals week at school) to talk with the recruiter. On the phone I was informed that I didn't receive the position. I was irritated that the recruiter took the time to schedule a phone call. If from the beginning I had been told that I would only hear back if I got it, or I was told to expect a call on a certain day around a certain time, I would have been satisfied with the experience. My issue was that I felt they wouldn't have told me that I did not get the position if I hadn't asked and then they asked for more of my time by requesting a scheduled phone call. With all of the efforts I went through to interview, they should have been upfront and told me when they made a decision or they should have said that I would not hear back if I did not get the position.
    I learned from someone who actually interned there that some interns just get the positions because they know people who already work there. I also shared my experience with other people who had interviewed for other positions in the past and they noted that they had similar experiences. I know other people who have interned there who didn't find out that they got the position until a week or two before it started.
    Honestly, I know that they are ranked as a top place to intern, but unless you know someone who can get you in, the application process isn't worth it. There are many other companies in the DFW area that offer really great internships and will not make you jump through hoops and take enormous amounts of time out of your schedule to make it through the interview process. I also know that if you get a position after being an intern, you will not be able to afford to live on your own in the DFW area because of their below average pay. I still think it's a great company, it's just not worth the effort when you're just starting out.

Interview Questions

Southwest Airlines Response

Jan 30, 2017 – Specialist

Thanks for your interest in an internship at Southwest, and for this feedback. Our process does take some time given the required background check (safety first!) and our focus on giving every... More

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2009.

Interview

Very personable phone (behavioral questions) interview. Flew back to headquarters for a subsequent interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation on the internship side :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

Got a phone call from the HR department to setup a phone interview. The next day I received an email with further information about how the interview process would work. A few days later was my interview. The phone interview, which lasted about 15 minutes, consisted of an explanation of the internship and benefits. Everyone I spoke to was very friendly.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

Interview

Recruiters are very very friendly. They will comfort you very well before starting the interview.

1. Phone interview: basic and similar questions are asked -
    a. Why SWA
    b. Why applied for this position
    c. Why course (you pursuing)
    d. Why university (you going to) - sometimes

2. On shore interview
    Go through the whole resume, word to word, project by project, experience to experience.
    May again ask from above questions.

This is the same format for interview going on.
    So, just be you and confident. If you fit, you be hired, you'll not. No gimmick, nothing extra. very simple and straight forward process.

Interview Questions

• Why SWA.
      Do not fake, or mug up anything. Be genuine and say confidently.   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

There was phone interview and a group interview if you did well on the phone interview. It wasn't a difficult interview if you came prepared. The interviewers were extremely friendly and attentive to what I had to share with them. It is a great representation of the wider company.