Southwest Airlines Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Southwest Airlines Intern Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I submitted my application in October. I was contacted to set up a phone interview in January, and then I had an in-person interview in Dallas in February. Everybody I interacted with throughout the process was very friendly and the interviews were formal, yet conversational.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The whole process spanned sometime from November - February but they were very responsive with contact. The interviews themselves were very conversational and the coordinators/recruiters make sure that you are comfortable! Honestly a very seamless and easy process that helps you be yourself.

Interview Questions

• Why Southwest?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Asked a lot of questions about resume.
      Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2017.

Interview

Submitted application online for two different Summer internship experiences. Received emails that I was still in the running for the position. Was asked for a link to my portfolio website/a PDF version to be reviewed. Received phone call to setup phone interview time. At the end of phone interview, was invited down to HQ in Dallas for an in-person interview with the team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

It started with a phone interview. The conversation was very choppy and I could tell that the interviewer was inexperienced and was just asking questions from a list. The interviewer told me that I would hear back within two weeks. After four weeks, I contacted the recruiter and was informed that no news was essentially good news. Two weeks after I contacted the recruiter, I heard back and was asked to come in for an in person interview. The in person interview required a lengthy background check form that took several hours to fill out and required letters of recommendation. The in person interview went exceptionally well and days later I was contacted asking for samples of my work. I submitted it. I was also asked for another sample of work, which took several hours to complete. I was told I would hear back within a week and a half. I never heard anything. Two weeks after I was supposed to have heard, I contacted the recruiter. The recruiter scheduled a time for us to have a discussion. I made sure to take time out of my week (at this point it was finals week at school) to talk with the recruiter. On the phone I was informed that I didn't receive the position. I was irritated that the recruiter took the time to schedule a phone call. If from the beginning I had been told that I would only hear back if I got it, or I was told to expect a call on a certain day around a certain time, I would have been satisfied with the experience. My issue was that I felt they wouldn't have told me that I did not get the position if I hadn't asked and then they asked for more of my time by requesting a scheduled phone call. With all of the efforts I went through to interview, they should have been upfront and told me when they made a decision or they should have said that I would not hear back if I did not get the position.
    I learned from someone who actually interned there that some interns just get the positions because they know people who already work there. I also shared my experience with other people who had interviewed for other positions in the past and they noted that they had similar experiences. I know other people who have interned there who didn't find out that they got the position until a week or two before it started.
    Honestly, I know that they are ranked as a top place to intern, but unless you know someone who can get you in, the application process isn't worth it. There are many other companies in the DFW area that offer really great internships and will not make you jump through hoops and take enormous amounts of time out of your schedule to make it through the interview process. I also know that if you get a position after being an intern, you will not be able to afford to live on your own in the DFW area because of their below average pay. I still think it's a great company, it's just not worth the effort when you're just starting out.

Interview Questions

Southwest Airlines Response

Jan 30, 2017 – Specialist

Thanks for your interest in an internship at Southwest, and for this feedback. Our process does take some time given the required background check (safety first!) and our focus on giving every ... More

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in October 2016.

Interview

Very Brief 20 minute phone call asking general things about why Southwest and why the specific position. Definitely take the time to research the company and be prepared to know why you fit the company culture at Southwest. They are very slow to get back to you to let you know whether or not you move on to the F2F interview.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Quick and easy phone interview with pretty basic questions. They want to get to know you so don't be afraid to be yourself. They respond very quickly after each phase of the interview process. Everybody at HDQ was friendly, understanding, and personable. Expect questions about yourself, why southwest, and why the position you applied for.

Interview Questions

• What was the worst class/ best class you have ever taken?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

The process was lengthy. Applied online. Got a phone call for first round of interview. Got selected and was called to Dallas for the second round. Interview was very basic with general behavioural based questions.
    They want to know you and your personality. Be confident and show them what you are capable of.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

It was very straightforward. Started with a phone interview and then they flew me to Dallas for an in person interview. The people department is very courteous and helpful. The interviewers were very nice which helped me interview better. About 3-5 days after the interview, I received an offer from Southwest.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

One phone interview, one in person interview with a member of the Campus Reach team and a hiring manager from your department. Fairly easy process, it's all behavioral questions that help the recruiters get to know you as a person.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

It was an easy task to apply for jobs on their website since they have many postings periodically. But since there is heavy competition for their jobs, it gets difficult to find the job the time you want it. I applied for Spring, Summer and Fall and I ended up getting one in Fall

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No Negotiation