Southwest Airlines Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 10, 2017

2.8

49 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in October 2016.

Interview

Very Brief 20 minute phone call asking general things about why Southwest and why the specific position. Definitely take the time to research the company and be prepared to know why you fit the company culture at Southwest. They are very slow to get back to you to let you know whether or not you move on to the F2F interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

One of the most pleasant hiring processes I have ever had. It was quick compared to some of my other experiences. The recruiter I had was a great guy and very helpful. I interviewed with my future manager and the director of the department I was going into.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with conflict in the workplace and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Quick and easy phone interview with pretty basic questions. They want to get to know you so don't be afraid to be yourself. They respond very quickly after each phase of the interview process. Everybody at HDQ was friendly, understanding, and personable. Expect questions about yourself, why southwest, and why the position you applied for.

Interview Questions

• What was the worst class/ best class you have ever taken?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

It was very straightforward. Started with a phone interview and then they flew me to Dallas for an in person interview. The people department is very courteous and helpful. The interviewers were very nice which helped me interview better. About 3-5 days after the interview, I received an offer from Southwest.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

The process was lengthy. Applied online. Got a phone call for first round of interview. Got selected and was called to Dallas for the second round. Interview was very basic with general behavioural based questions.
    They want to know you and your personality. Be confident and show them what you are capable of.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fairly simple and enjoyable, but unfortunately it took much longer than I would have liked. However, this should be expected by anyone applying for a job at a major airline, they receive thousands of applications a year and it takes time to narrow it down to the best candidates. Be patient!

Interview Questions

• Interview questions focused heavily on "telling them about yourself". They want to find out who you truly are, and if you will be a match for the company. Southwest prides itself in its people, it's their most important asset. Just be yourself, be honest, and be proud that you got an interview at a world class airline!   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I applied online and from there they asked me to submit a "Why Southwest" essay. From there on I was asked to complete a phone interview and then come in for an in person interview. Everyone at HQ is very nice and does a great job of making you feel welcome. The interview is very conversational because they want to see who you really are. The entire process took 3+ months.

Interview Questions

• What specific classes did you take that prepared you for this role?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

I applied online in November and didn't hear back until February and set up a phone interview with my main recruiter. The call lasted about 30 minutes and the recruiter was super friendly and made me feel very comfortable. She started off by telling me a little more about the position and then we went over my resume. I made sure to know the job description front and back so I could apply my experience to the position I was interviewing for. She asked me questions such as:
    -name a time you were in a conflict with someone and how did you handle it.
    -why your major?
    -why pursue this internship verse a full-time position?
    -what have you learned from these experiences?
    -why southwest?
    It went well because at the end of the phone call she said they wanted to fly me out to interview in person. There I brought my letters of rec and my "why Southwest" essay.
    At the interview I was with the same recruiter and the person I would be reporting to. They both were laid back and made me feel at ease. We again went through my resume so the manager could get to know me and was asked a few more situational questions:
    -what was your least favorite thing you did in your previous internship experience?
    -what's your weakness? (Answer this and spin it with a positive)

They do a good job of making sure you are comfortable so they can see the real you.

About a week later I got a call back and was told I was right for Southwest but not that particular position so my recruiter asked if I would be interested in a different position that better suited my skills. I set up another phone interview with her and the managers and went through the same questions and my resume. I made sure to do my research and offer any suggestions on the particular project I would be working on if selected as an intern. They liked that I already had ideas.

I was called back almost immediately with an offer.

Overall the entire experience was so laid back and friendly. Southwest doesn't just hire for the position, they hire the person and if they think you fit in with the culture, they will find a place for you which is why it's so important to just be yourself.
    A

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

Flew me out to HQ, interviewed with 12 managers/directors at once, gave me a tour, met with other interns and was given an offer over the phone after a few weeks.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

It was an easy task to apply for jobs on their website since they have many postings periodically. But since there is heavy competition for their jobs, it gets difficult to find the job the time you want it. I applied for Spring, Summer and Fall and I ended up getting one in Fall

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No Negotiation