Southwest Airlines Internship Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 15, 2017

2.9

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Baltimore, MD) in October 2017.

Interview

After about a month from when I applied I received a phone call to schedule a phone interview. A few days later completed the phone interview and was told they would be contacted in the new few day's if I would be moving on to an in-person interview or not. 2 days later received word that they wanted me to fly out to Baltimore for an in-person interview the following week. Received all necessary information flew out to Baltimore and interviewed two days later I was notified that I did not receive the position which was very disheartening and affected me a bit emotionally because of the passion and desire I have to work for Southwest and in aviation.

The only negatives of the interview process were communication on the recruiters. I did not receive directions on how to get to the Baltimore peoples office but ended up finding my way. And also, of course, I did not receive an offer. But all around a good experience.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Fill out the application online which can be accessed through their Campus Reach website, phone interview with the Campus Recruiter, and then an in-person interview with the campus recruiter, hiring manager, and potential mentors/team members

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Southwest?
      Why should we hire you/what makes you stand out?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I applied for the internship in October and did not hear anything back until around January. The process is lengthy in that regard. I then was able to participate in a phone interview where I was asked to answer a few questions about myself and school. A few weeks later, I was asked to fly to Dallas for the face-to-face interview with a few employees from the people department. The interview lasted 30 minutes and then I was able to fly home. The next day I received a call asking if I would like to be apart of the SWA family.

Interview Questions

• Why Southwest?
      Name a few classes that have helped you.
      What do you believe are places you need improvement?
      What are your hobbies?
      Why are you willing to take three months off for this?
      How will this be a value in your life?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Interview process takes quite a few months, but starts with a resume, then phone interview, and ends with an in person interview. Everyone is extremely friendly and encouraging along the way. Wish the process wasn't so long, but good experience.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online in November right before it closed. I applied for 18 internship positions because I didn't get a phone interview last time when I only applied for 3. In December I received an email that they were still interested in me and would get back to me soon. I got a call to schedule an interview(phone) for Marketing Cargo. Between the scheduled phone interview, I received another call to set up another phone interview for Revenue MGT-Pricing. I then had my phone interview for Marketing Cargo and it was so easy and relaxing. They just want to get to know you, so do yourself a favor and do not be nervous!! After my interview, I waited a week and had my second phone interview.

After my second phone interview, I was called back by the recruiter for Marketing Cargo and they said they wanted to fly me down to Dallas for F2F. I still had not heard back from my other phone interview, but I flew down to Dallas and stayed the night in the DoubleTree a couple days later. In the meantime, I got rejection emails on many of the internships I applied for. They are looking for the best of the best in each area, so do not be discouraged if you are not chosen.

My F2F was with the recruiter, and three other members of the marketing cargo team. It was very comfortable and everyone was super friendly. I felt like I did really well and was hoping for an offer within the next couple days. The next day, I was called by the second position that they wanted to move forward with a F2F in a week. I accepted and had a flight scheduled the next week. A few days after that, I received a call that they would like to set up a phone interview for a Networking position. A day after that, I received a call from Cargo that they went with another candidate. I talked with the recruiter and received some feedback, which if anything PLEASE DO THIS!! It might hurt your pride, but it means a world of difference.

I had the phone interview and at the end of the call, he said he wanted to fly me down. This was different from my first two recruiters who took a week or two to get back to me. I scheduled that F2F and the next morning I flew to Dallas to interview with the second position. This interview was much more grueling. I was asked about all of the these situations and there was 6 people in the room asking questions! This interview lasted a little over an hour while my first interview lasted about 40 minutes.

The next day, I received a call from the recruiter for the second position that they wanted to bring me on for the summer and that they really liked how I approached the situational questions. I was upfront that I had another interview coming up, but I wanted to accept this one! He said he already talked to the other recruiter and I was all set!!

All in all, please know that less than 1% of people actually get accepted. If you receive a phone or in person interview, consider yourself lucky! Southwest is looking for personality over your skills, but your resume needs to elicit some active engagement. Overall, I really had an amazing time interviewing with Southwest and I LUV this company!

Application

Interview

It was fantastic! I applied on the Southwest Airlines Internship ICIMS page online, and the process started back October. I waited ever so patiently until I received an email in November stating that I would be contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview in the upcoming months. It was about January until I graciously got my phone call, which lasted about 20 minutes, talking about myself and the internship. I was then told that I would be flown down to Dallas for an in-person interview to talk more about the position and why I wanted to work with Southwest. I was elated, and waited for the following emails about my travel down to Dallas.

When the day came in February, I flew down to interview face to face, and I was nervous, but super excited. Everyone at HQ was super nice, and excited to talk to me about what I was there for. They all gave me a "good luck!" before I went in. I was interviewed by three employees, and asked specific questions about myself and my interests. After about 45 minutes, the interview was over, and I left the glamorous HQ with a smile on my face. A few days later, I got a call saying I was selected for the position, and I accepted on that day!

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

Flew me to Dallas. 2 people interviewed me together. basic resume and behavioral question.

easy interview. ask questions regarding southwest, why the airline industry. career goals, why an internship and not a full time position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Corvallis, OR) in January 2016.

Interview

It was a pretty solid process. Everyone was kind and willing to answer questions. I wasn't sure of the specific job I was interviewing for until the phone interview started, so that made it a bit difficult.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2016.

Interview

Applied in October last week. I heard back from them in February for the first telephonic round. After two weeks or more, I was called for an on-site F2F interview. I appeared for the interview 2 weeks back. Haven't heard back from yet. SWA are slow with the hiring process for interns! They should hire more HRs!
    Interviews were fairly easy, resume go-through, few personality based questions.

Interview Questions

• How good are you in a team?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Submitted resume online. After a week, they called to schedule a phone interview. Two-three weeks after phone interview, scheduled an in-person panel with the recruiter, and two other hiring managers. None were related to the job I was applying for, but were all very nice. They took turns asking questions about my background, resume, and transcript.