Southwest Airlines Internship Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Southwest Airlines Internship Interview Questions

Updated Mar 1, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Interview process takes quite a few months, but starts with a resume, then phone interview, and ends with an in person interview. Everyone is extremely friendly and encouraging along the way. Wish the process wasn't so long, but good experience.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online in November right before it closed. I applied for 18 internship positions because I didn't get a phone interview last time when I only applied for 3. In December I received an email that they were still interested in me and would get back to me soon. I got a call to schedule an interview(phone) for Marketing Cargo. Between the scheduled phone interview, I received another call to set up another phone interview for Revenue MGT-Pricing. I then had my phone interview for Marketing Cargo and it was so easy and relaxing. They just want to get to know you, so do yourself a favor and do not be nervous!! After my interview, I waited a week and had my second phone interview.

After my second phone interview, I was called back by the recruiter for Marketing Cargo and they said they wanted to fly me down to Dallas for F2F. I still had not heard back from my other phone interview, but I flew down to Dallas and stayed the night in the DoubleTree a couple days later. In the meantime, I got rejection emails on many of the internships I applied for. They are looking for the best of the best in each area, so do not be discouraged if you are not chosen.

My F2F was with the recruiter, and three other members of the marketing cargo team. It was very comfortable and everyone was super friendly. I felt like I did really well and was hoping for an offer within the next couple days. The next day, I was called by the second position that they wanted to move forward with a F2F in a week. I accepted and had a flight scheduled the next week. A few days after that, I received a call that they would like to set up a phone interview for a Networking position. A day after that, I received a call from Cargo that they went with another candidate. I talked with the recruiter and received some feedback, which if anything PLEASE DO THIS!! It might hurt your pride, but it means a world of difference.

I had the phone interview and at the end of the call, he said he wanted to fly me down. This was different from my first two recruiters who took a week or two to get back to me. I scheduled that F2F and the next morning I flew to Dallas to interview with the second position. This interview was much more grueling. I was asked about all of the these situations and there was 6 people in the room asking questions! This interview lasted a little over an hour while my first interview lasted about 40 minutes.

The next day, I received a call from the recruiter for the second position that they wanted to bring me on for the summer and that they really liked how I approached the situational questions. I was upfront that I had another interview coming up, but I wanted to accept this one! He said he already talked to the other recruiter and I was all set!!

All in all, please know that less than 1% of people actually get accepted. If you receive a phone or in person interview, consider yourself lucky! Southwest is looking for personality over your skills, but your resume needs to elicit some active engagement. Overall, I really had an amazing time interviewing with Southwest and I LUV this company!

Application

Interview

It was fantastic! I applied on the Southwest Airlines Internship ICIMS page online, and the process started back October. I waited ever so patiently until I received an email in November stating that I would be contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview in the upcoming months. It was about January until I graciously got my phone call, which lasted about 20 minutes, talking about myself and the internship. I was then told that I would be flown down to Dallas for an in-person interview to talk more about the position and why I wanted to work with Southwest. I was elated, and waited for the following emails about my travel down to Dallas.

When the day came in February, I flew down to interview face to face, and I was nervous, but super excited. Everyone at HQ was super nice, and excited to talk to me about what I was there for. They all gave me a "good luck!" before I went in. I was interviewed by three employees, and asked specific questions about myself and my interests. After about 45 minutes, the interview was over, and I left the glamorous HQ with a smile on my face. A few days later, I got a call saying I was selected for the position, and I accepted on that day!

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

Flew me to Dallas. 2 people interviewed me together. basic resume and behavioral question.

easy interview. ask questions regarding southwest, why the airline industry. career goals, why an internship and not a full time position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Corvallis, OR) in January 2016.

Interview

It was a pretty solid process. Everyone was kind and willing to answer questions. I wasn't sure of the specific job I was interviewing for until the phone interview started, so that made it a bit difficult.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2016.

Interview

Applied in October last week. I heard back from them in February for the first telephonic round. After two weeks or more, I was called for an on-site F2F interview. I appeared for the interview 2 weeks back. Haven't heard back from yet. SWA are slow with the hiring process for interns! They should hire more HRs!
    Interviews were fairly easy, resume go-through, few personality based questions.

Interview Questions

• How good are you in a team?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online in October 2015. I received a call back in January informing me that I was selected for a phone interview. I had my phone interview one week later with an HR person. The phone call lasted about 20min, very friendly and straight forward questions. About 3 weeks later I received an email asking to come to a F2F interview in Dallas. The interview went really easy, no trick questions, just an HR manager and two other Managers trying to see if you fit in their team. We went over my resume, references and projects.

Interview Questions

• Why SWA?
      Do you like working as an individual or a team?
      What classes were more challenging for you?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Submitted resume online. After a week, they called to schedule a phone interview. Two-three weeks after phone interview, scheduled an in-person panel with the recruiter, and two other hiring managers. None were related to the job I was applying for, but were all very nice. They took turns asking questions about my background, resume, and transcript.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2016.

Interview

Applied in late October and did not hear back about getting a first round interview until February. I did not get an interview and just received the standard rejection email. Not a big deal, but would have liked to know in less than 3 months about a first round interview.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in December 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with one recruiter and three managers, very laid back and friendly. They mainly went over my resume and experience as well as gave me a chance to ask questions at the end.