Southwest Airlines Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2017

2.6

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2017.

Interview

I applied for SWA in July of 2016. I received a few emails instructing me to complete the background part (employment, schools, etc.) . Dec 2016 I received a call to set up my over the phone interview which was Jan 2017 to my surprise they offered me a Face to Face after the phone interview. Of course I accepted and I am waiting to hear from them regarding the date!

Interview Questions

• Why do you wanna be with SWA?   Answer Question
    • why do you want to be a flight attendant?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to act in an emergency situation ? (Doesn't have to be job related.)   Answer Question
    • A lot of yes or no questions about what the job consist of and will you be okay with this or that.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I'll update this later. Wish me luck guys!

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

For me the process was very easy. Although some of the time frames I was given were slightly off and longer, everything went very smooth! I applied August 2016. I have been offered to go to training and cannot be more excited about my opportunity. The f2f was the best interview experience I have ever had. It was very intimate for an airline interview and the 2 ladies who conducted my interview treated me so well. It felt more like a great conversation vs an interview.

Operations Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Baltimore, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview followed by F2F. Phone interview was not bad at all - just be yourself. F2F was very laid back. Again - be yourself. Southwest looks for an outgoing personality and someone who is in line with their company culture. Do your research.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were faced with a challenging confrontation by a customer - where were you and how did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question
    • Name one positive experience you had with a customer.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2017.

Interview

Friendly easy going comfortable interview. Basic questions to get to know you. Asked the basic questions you would expect for a first round phone interview. Know the position and company well

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online, with employee referral. Then, I was contacted by the university recruiter and had a brief phone call where I was asked some behavioral questions. Afterwards, I was invited to come to their campus for an onsite group interview with my recruiter and 2 team leaders in my field, and I had to submit a Why Southwest essay and 2 recommendation letters prior to the interview (I only submitted the Why Southwest essay, no recommendation letters). This interview lasted an hour and consisted of some simple data structure and programming questions along with some behavioral questions. Everyone was extremely friendly and I was excited to intern at Southwest. A few days later I got a call with an offer!

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online in November right before it closed. I applied for 18 internship positions because I didn't get a phone interview last time when I only applied for 3. In December I received an email that they were still interested in me and would get back to me soon. I got a call to schedule an interview(phone) for Marketing Cargo. Between the scheduled phone interview, I received another call to set up another phone interview for Revenue MGT-Pricing. I then had my phone interview for Marketing Cargo and it was so easy and relaxing. They just want to get to know you, so do yourself a favor and do not be nervous!! After my interview, I waited a week and had my second phone interview.

After my second phone interview, I was called back by the recruiter for Marketing Cargo and they said they wanted to fly me down to Dallas for F2F. I still had not heard back from my other phone interview, but I flew down to Dallas and stayed the night in the DoubleTree a couple days later. In the meantime, I got rejection emails on many of the internships I applied for. They are looking for the best of the best in each area, so do not be discouraged if you are not chosen.

My F2F was with the recruiter, and three other members of the marketing cargo team. It was very comfortable and everyone was super friendly. I felt like I did really well and was hoping for an offer within the next couple days. The next day, I was called by the second position that they wanted to move forward with a F2F in a week. I accepted and had a flight scheduled the next week. A few days after that, I received a call that they would like to set up a phone interview for a Networking position. A day after that, I received a call from Cargo that they went with another candidate. I talked with the recruiter and received some feedback, which if anything PLEASE DO THIS!! It might hurt your pride, but it means a world of difference.

I had the phone interview and at the end of the call, he said he wanted to fly me down. This was different from my first two recruiters who took a week or two to get back to me. I scheduled that F2F and the next morning I flew to Dallas to interview with the second position. This interview was much more grueling. I was asked about all of the these situations and there was 6 people in the room asking questions! This interview lasted a little over an hour while my first interview lasted about 40 minutes.

The next day, I received a call from the recruiter for the second position that they wanted to bring me on for the summer and that they really liked how I approached the situational questions. I was upfront that I had another interview coming up, but I wanted to accept this one! He said he already talked to the other recruiter and I was all set!!

All in all, please know that less than 1% of people actually get accepted. If you receive a phone or in person interview, consider yourself lucky! Southwest is looking for personality over your skills, but your resume needs to elicit some active engagement. Overall, I really had an amazing time interviewing with Southwest and I LUV this company!

Operations Research Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

I found the post in LinkedIn and applied through the company website. I had HR phone interview which I did not clear. The interviewer started by saying the job description and then the first question was Are you still interested in the position? I said 'Yes'. He asked 'Why'...

Interview Questions

• 1. Why this position
      2. Why My University for Masters
      3. Why Southwest
      Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

First there is a phone interview, Please be very excited about the position. You must show that you know customer service and you know the culture and values that southwest live by. You must show that you enthusiastic about your position and your willing to work flexible hours.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to deal with a customer who turn out to be IRATE?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

Applied in August. Got a email in September saying that they wanted to set me up for a phone interview. Got a call in October for the phone interview and scheduled it. The phone interview went okay. My recruiter was in a very noisy area so it was very hard to hear and understand her. I had to keep asking her to repeat her questions since it was so noisy and she seemed mad in the tone of her voice everytime I asked her to repeat herself. At some points of the interview she practically cut me off and would say okay moving on... and I had only been talking for about 2 minutes. Got contacted for a face to face about couple weeks later. Will update when I attend the face to face.

Spring Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

The process was done with phone calls only. No email updates. I had a very frustrating interview process with Southwest, which was very disappointing as I have heard so many great things about their work environment beforehand. I was very excited to interview with them, and my first round phone interview made me feel incompetent. The interviewer asked me to walk me through my resume, and continuously pointed out things that were not on my resume. As someone who has an excellent GPA at a top tier university, works part time and has a previous internship in my field, I was shocked by how the interviewer picked at flaws instead of strengths. I had talked to other candidates who went through the interview process as well and had similar, strange experiences. Southwest's conversion rate from intern to full-time is extremely low, so it made me wonder what exactly they were looking for in their interns since they likely would not hire them full-time afterwards anyways. After my first round interview, I had such a stressful time with them in receiving further feedback. It was constantly me reaching out to them for an update, and played phone tag with the recruiters throughout the semester, as they do not seem to be big on email updates. I had an awful experience with this company, and would not recommend it to anyone.