Southwest Airlines Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 20, 2017

2.6

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

It's basically a 4 step process- resume- questioner- phone interview and face to face. I have just completed the phone and I got a call back for a f2f :)

Interview Questions

• How did you go above and beyond at one of your jobs? Something outside your scope of responsibility.   1 Answer

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Had a phone screen first where it was based on my resume. Know your resume really well. Then passed it and got flown out to Dallas. There I had 2 interviews one with HR and IT manager and another with 2 IT managers. Most of the question where behavioral questions. and how well you can work in a group

Interview Questions

• What are some problems you have had working in a group and how did you solve them. Don't stress about the questions there was very minimal questions. They just want to see if your a good fit just be yourself relax and have fun. know your resume well too.   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I filled out the application on-line and had a phone interview a week and a half later. My rep went over my application with me, asked questions about jobs, and simple questions like why do I want to work for southwest, where do I see myself in 3 to 5 years, what do I know about the job. He told me that they would be in contact with me by the end of the week If I got a phone call it meant they wanted to move forward and if I got an email it meant they were not interested. With in an hour I got an email that stated that they wanted to move forward and it gave me a face to face interview day and time. I had my interview three days later at the airport. In the face to face interview they repeated the questions as to why I want to work at Southwest and where I see myself in 3 to 5 years with the company. They explained how lines can be long customers can be grumpy and the job is stressful and how do I handle those types of situations. They also made a point to go over my past jobs being part time and even though this is a part-time position the hours are more full-time and to make sure I could handle full-time. I did not feel like I convinced them that I have no problem working full-time. I tried but she seemed hesitant to believe me. The interview was very laid-back and friendly. They said I would hear from them within the next four weeks but I noticed that they invited some people to stay and fill out paperwork so I don't expect an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with an irate customer. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had a problem with a coworker. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Southwest?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 3 to 5 years?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I had a really great experience during the interview. They made me feel so welcomed ! Hands down the best interview I've ever experienced . Two people interviewed me and it felt like I was speaking to friends the whole time.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current job for southwest?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Manchester, NH).

Interview

interviewed by a ramp supervisor, HR person, and a senior ramp agent. Each of them asked me different questions about my background and why I applied for a position at Southwest

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I would be able to lift 50 lbs on a regular basis and 70 lbs occasionally as this is a main part of the job.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Baltimore, MD) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied to Ramp Agent for Southwest BWI on 02/14/17 and 02/15/17 because they had two separate job postings. I got a call to schedule my phone interview where they recruiters scheduled them for the same day, which was Friday 02/17/17. They didn't notice until it was time for my interview and the first recruiter which was a male told me that they would just omit the second interview because its no need to be interviewed twice for the same position. That was Friday, that Monday 02/20/17 I checked my email and wasn't selected to move on in the hiring process. Tuesday 02/21/17 I received a call from the second recruiter who was a female and originally supposed to interview me other the phone. She scheduled another interview for the next day, she ended up not calling Wednesday and called Thursday. The interview went well I got a call Monday stating that I was selected for a F2F which is scheduled for March 14th.... So I still have my fingers crossed that I do well on the F2F!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Southwest?   Answer Question
    • Are you familiar with the job requirements of this position?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable lifting between 50 and 80 lbs?   4 Answers

Ramp Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2017.

Interview

Interview was cool. Starts with phone interview. Once that is complete the set you up for in person. In person is Short and to the point. Back ground check takes forever. Took about a month in 1/2 before it was complete.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No Negotiations

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

It was fantastic! I applied on the Southwest Airlines Internship ICIMS page online, and the process started back October. I waited ever so patiently until I received an email in November stating that I would be contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview in the upcoming months. It was about January until I graciously got my phone call, which lasted about 20 minutes, talking about myself and the internship. I was then told that I would be flown down to Dallas for an in-person interview to talk more about the position and why I wanted to work with Southwest. I was elated, and waited for the following emails about my travel down to Dallas.

When the day came in February, I flew down to interview face to face, and I was nervous, but super excited. Everyone at HQ was super nice, and excited to talk to me about what I was there for. They all gave me a "good luck!" before I went in. I was interviewed by three employees, and asked specific questions about myself and my interests. After about 45 minutes, the interview was over, and I left the glamorous HQ with a smile on my face. A few days later, I got a call saying I was selected for the position, and I accepted on that day!

Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied and received an internship position for Summer 2017.

1. Submitted resume for review (can apply to as many positions as you want).
    2. Contacted to submit a writing sample (prompt "Why Southwest?") was given only a few days to complete.
    3. Phone interviewed. I received notice that I was in the running for four positions. Sometimes, they'll interview you for more than one position at a time if it falls under the same recruiter. I did two phone interviews- they were very straightforward and covered my resume/experience.
    4. Contacted by phone to come to HQ in Dallas, Texas just a few weeks later.
    5. The interview was very comfortable and straightforward. The recruiters were genuine. There are no "trick" questions and they don't drill you – it's more a conversation. I was interviewed by the recruiter who phone interviewed me and the SWA employee who would oversee my team. It seemed like they were most interested in seeing if I had the experience and if I would fit with the company culture.
    6. Heard back the next day!

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The whole process spanned sometime from November - February but they were very responsive with contact. The interviews themselves were very conversational and the coordinators/recruiters make sure that you are comfortable! Honestly a very seamless and easy process that helps you be yourself.

Interview Questions

• Why Southwest?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Asked a lot of questions about resume.
      Answer Question