Southwest Airlines Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2017

2.6

Customer Relations Analyst Interview

Interview

1stpPhone interview (behavioral), 2nd phone interview (technical), then flew down to Dallas for an in person interview with recruiter and manager

Low Pay & no travel/housing stipend

Customer Service Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Boston, MA) in March 2013.

Interview

There were a lot of issues about HR/Recruiters during this process which is really sad. I applied online from a job posting website. I understand they call from different states, but the recruiter called my house at 5:30 AM (and I'm on the East Coast of the US!). This was not scheduled like many people say - they just randomly called, and in the process woke up my entire household. I tried to give this "recruiter" the benefit of the doubt, but I was soon sorry I did I didn't just stop there. She then went on to tell me that even though the Customer Service Supervisor position wasn't open anymore (and I had about 10 years experience with another company in the same position and a degree in aviation), she wanted me to switch over to be a ramp agent . This means about a 65% pay cut and the hours were 1/2 of what was originally posted. Still I allowed her to go through with it, since this was going to make an even better letter to customer service later on! When I thought she couldn't make any more mistakes she asked me if I wanted to work in a town where an airport didn't exist- YUP! The airport is actually about 30 miles east of where she was referring to and she had just concocted an imaginary title for it. Again, the proper airport was in the job listing. After that I asked her if she had my resume in front of her- she said she did. She asked NOTHING about the job or how my experience related to it. She tried to go over my job history saying "so you last job was 8 years ago?" and then picked out another position I had held before that. It was evident she was either reading it backwards or under the influence. She invited me in for a face to face interview but I declined. No one should work for a company like this.

If my caller ID didn't say SW Airlines on it, I probably would have thought it was a scammer.

Interview Questions

I wrote most of it in the hiring and interview process. In summary they offered the wrong position, pay rate way below average and were not competent interviewers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (San Francisco, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Applied for a position at SFO and got an e-mail the next week saying they will be conducting phone interviews the next day up until 6 weeks so give it some time. I then got a call the 2nd day after the e-mail and the lady asked me (see interview questions below). All in all very professional and funny too. Didn't really ask me too many questions because I worked for airline somewhat like Southwest for 4 years basically doing the same thing they do but the planes I worked on were a lot bigger. I think if you like to workout, I think this is the job for you because you are basically getting paid to workout.Got a call for face to face interview in 2 weeks so hopefully it goes well. Wish me luck!

Interview Questions

• What are the basic requirements to work for this position?   1 Answer
    • Asks about your resume and recent jobs.   Answer Question
    • Why Skywest?   1 Answer
    • Can you bend, lift, stand, twist up to 70 pounds?   2 Answers
    • Can you be able to travel up to 2 weeks for training possibly in another state?   1 Answer

Operations Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

I applied for several positions. Sent me emails that I didn't make the cut for all but one. They called to set up phone interview (basic resume questions). Then they called for an in-person interview. Flew out to Dallas, met with recruiter, a manager , and current HR intern. Everything went well; they were all nice.

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (San Francisco, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online, maybe a month later got an email asking to send resume and the best phone number to be reached at. The next morning I got a phone call with simple questions about my past work experience, why Southwest, and what do customer service agents do... I'm guessing to see if you know about the position you applied for. After that she said she would give me a call in a week to let me know because she had other interviews to do but to my surprise she called me back in a couple of hours to set up a F2F interview. The interview was for the following week and I had to bring my drivers license, social security card and GED. Was a one on one interview but there was the manager sitting in the room from the airport you would be working at. Was a little nervous because she didn't ask question but she looked at you the whole time while you answered questions. Once again simple questions like why Southwest, the time you had to deal with an angry customer, and the time you went out your way to help a co worker. She also went over my work experience again. Interview only lasted about 10mins, she then made copies of my papers and let me know either way if I got the job or not I would receive a email or a phone call letting me know. They held interviews the day before and would be doing it all day that day so nobody got a straight yes or no, its just a wait and see. Either a rejection email or a email asking you to come in for fingerprints and drug test. So now I just sit and wait and hope for the best. I want the job but so do 100s of other people. I have no idea how many people they want and what kinda people they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• I guess the only unexpected question was what was my weakness.. I had to really stop and think about it   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

Initially applied online -had a phone interview and days later a F2F, with the same recruiter. The F2F interview basically wanted to know how your previous exp related to interetest position. Your personality MUST be fitting w/ SWA! They are all about persnality and fun atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were hard! Or unexpected! At all.. just asked specifics about tell me about a time when, customer is not satisfied, what would you do type of questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None, it's was already learned upon the phone interview.

Ramp Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in August 2010.

Interview

Simple. Show personality and the ability to be a team player, you're in. I;m sure you think I'm over diluting it but, no. They are looking to do more with less and a "can do attitude" will get you in.

Interview Questions

• Tell me an example of how you've given internal customer service   Answer Question

Negotiation

union

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Oakland, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Long! I filled out my application December 2013 and did not receive an email until Thanksgiving 2014. I responded to the email by giving work history and current and previous addresses. Got a phone interview about 2-3 weeks later and immediately got a face to face interview in oakland . My phone interview was On a Thursday and my face to face in Oakland was that next Wednesday . I was so nervous, but upon arrival the atmosphere at the people department was great! Everyone was so friendly ! I did wait a while prior to my interview but was hired on the spot!
    While there I had to do a few simple tests , and gave my drivers license , college degree and social security card. Did my fingerprints and went for a drug screening the next day. Make sure there are no gaps and your app is filled out in its entirety. Background check took approximately two to three weeks. Now I'm off to training and cannot wait to start my career with southwest !

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer and how did you solve the situation   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2015.

Interview

I received a call for a phone interview from a recruiter roughly a week after submitting an online application. I did however receive an email a few days before from a different recruiter asking me to fill out an online application for the Ramp Agent position. When I received the call, the recruiter started interviewing me for the wrong position. The interview was supposed to be for the Ramp Agent position, but I was being asked questions regarding a Customer Service Agent position. I informed the recruiter that I never applied for the Customer Service Agent position and he said, "Oops, give me a minute to get the correct job description". -.- How unprofessional are these recruiters? I clearly mentioned at the beginning of the interview I was surprised I heard so soon after applying for the Ramp Agent position, but apparently the recruiter wasn't listening. Another situation I noticed is that the recruiter had not read my resume at all before hand; he was going through the provided application I submitted online while I was explaining my background.

The interview consisted of questions such as, "Why Southwest?", "What is your previous work experience?", "Can you tell me what you know about the Ramp Agent position?", and "Are you okay with working in various weather conditions, carrying 70 pounds, and being payed $10.28 per hour for the first six months?" I was not asked any behavioral questions.

The online application does not fit a lot of information, I had no room to fill in all of my college adduction, high school education, previous jobs, and my current job. I do currently work for Delta as a Ramp Agent, and I don't think the recruiter liked hearing that. The tone of his voice changed from a somewhat preppy sound to a more annoyed sound after I mentioned my current work with Delta. The recruiter did say that he has a few more days of phone interviews and he will call me back in a few days. The key note for this interview compared to other phone interviews I have had with Southwest is that the recruiter specifically said, "I will call you back". Unfortunately, it has been about 5 days and so far no call back. The recruiter also specifically said, "Call me if you have any further questions regarding the Ramp Agent position". I did try calling him so I could ask a question but he did not pick up. I left a voicemail and so far I have heard no response.

Overall, this was once again a negative phone interview experience with Southwest Airlines. It seems many of the recruiters lack organization and do not return calls. Besides for my experience in working for a competitor airline, I'm not sure why I would not be chosen for a F2F. I was not given a chance to talk very much, the recruiter spent most of the time talking about the position and reading my application out loud. Any questions I were asked I could not give a somewhat long response answer because the recruiter kept interrupting to either ask a new question or to describe the job more in detail. At the end of the phone interview when he asked if I had any other questions was the only other opportunity I was given to talk more about me and to better answer his questions. However, to no surprise the recruiter interrupted and said if I have no other questions then that's all he has.

Operations Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in April 2015.

Interview

Nothing happens overnight here. I first applied online on April 11. It wasn't until April 27 that I was sent the real application, which is very extensive. I filled it out immediately and was able to schedule a phone interview for the following day. I did tons of research on the company and took notes. I felt that I was extremely qualified for the position based upon my work experience and my eagerness to join the SWA family. And I felt that I was very prepared for the phone interview.

I was over-prepared. I was asked nothing about the company. We basically went through my job history one by one, only to confirm that what I wrote on the application was accurate. The questions were like, "Did you work for so and so from this date to this date?" Well, yes I did. That's why it's on my application. Of course, I didn't say that, but I was disappointed that this wasn't really an interview at all. At the end of about 15 minutes, I was told there were other interviews scheduled and that I should hear from them within one week. On May 1, I was informed that I was not selected to proceed in the hiring process.

Sad face.

P.S. Starting pay is $10.61/hr

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for SWA?   1 Answer
    • Can you tell me what an Operation Agent does?   1 Answer
    • Why do you think you'd be a good candidate for this position?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?   1 Answer