Sovereign Bancorp Branch Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sovereign Bancorp Branch Manager Interview Questions

2.5

6 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Randolph, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp (Randolph, NJ) in March 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by a member of HR and given some encouragement that my resume and application was attractive. An interview was scheduled with the regional hiring manager which I attended. Interviews were scheduled on top of each other as I was in a waiting area with 3 other candidates. Hiring manager led me up rickety stairs in an outdated building where we met in a sparse office (not his own I presume). He asked me 4 questions and then talked the rest of the time, outlining the impossible task of management and downplaying the opportunity and making the prospect of working there unattractive. He said I should call next week to follow up with HR but I received an email the next day saying they had moved on to other candidates. I was not offended but felt I didn't really get interviewed as much as I listened to a manager complain about his own company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a scenario where you focused your team on a goal for the month and discovered halfway through the month it wasn't working and what did you do to try and correct it?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a situation where you coached a subordinate who would not cooperate and how did you handle that?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Sovereign Bancorp

Branch Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in April 2010.

Interview

online, HR phone and then District Manager

Interview Questions

• Standart set of questions, what you do , how and why should we hire you   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation was 4 phone calls offered 60 % of what was offered, Had to be aprooved by RM for this. If they like you they will do it.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2010.

Interview

Quick, got the impression they didn't have many qualified candidates should have known.

Interview Questions

• standard status quo questions every company asked but thinks they are clever and unique   1 Answer

Negotiation

easy, paid what I wanted, obviously needed emloyees

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp (State College, PA) in February 2008.

Interview

It was an easy interview. I was referred by a friend.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with an unsatisfied customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, I was able to negotiate.

Branch Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp.

Interview

Had a phone interview and then they scheduled an in person interview. The in person interview was strange. Interviewer seemed more interisted in how I got into the industry over a decade ago than he was in whether I could do the job. He asked questions for about 10 minutes about how i saw myself as a sales person and what i liked about my former job. Then he turned it over to me. It seemed to me that he finished his part of the interview evry quickly. I asked a few questions, he answered and then there was dead silence. It was like he didn't know how to end the interview, so I asked a few more questions just to keep things from being awkward. Towards the end, he asked if I was not offered the BM position, would I be interisted in other oportunities. I said I would be, so he was telling me about some kind of teller manager position that would be open shortly. It was odd because we had just established that the BM position probably could not meet my pay requirements based on teh budget they had. The teller manager position was obviously an even lower position with lower pay and clearly a few steps down from my current career level. I left the interview confused.

Interview Questions

• How did I drive the sales in my branch. This was dificult because I could tell he was getting at something but I did not know what. I gave a couple of examples but felt like there was still something he wanted but he couldn't articulate a question.   Answer Question

Branch Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp in April 2010.

Interview

The general communications with the company and my interviewer were ok - there seemed to be a disconnect between recruiting and the actual hiring manager. Was surprised at the answer to my question - how has the company become profitable over the past 3 years?: "we laid off a third of our workforce." Was not particularly impresed with the behavioral nature of the questions asked. It appeared that the interview was more of a formality thank anything. I'm not entirely sure my references were even checked.

Negotiation

was lowballed on my salary originally, but was met shortly after discussion.