Sovereign Bancorp Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sovereign Bancorp Interview Questions

2.5

Personal Banker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Haverhill, MA

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp (Haverhill, MA) in July 2011.

Interview

Had a phone interview with the HR lady, which was the tell me about a time stuff. Then she set up an interview with the branch manager and that was just chatting. Communication with both was smooth through the whole process so I was surprised that I never got ANY response back. Very disappointed. I even tried following up with both and that did nothing for me.

Management Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp (Boston, MA) in July 2011.

Interview

I initially received a call from a recruiter at Sovereign. I went in, interviewed with three people and was called back about a week later to come back in and meet with someone else. I was told the job description changed and one of the higher ups wanted to me with me. The only thing I didn't like was they had me interview with this person not knowing at all what the new responsibilities were. It just made it awkward because the person I came in to interview with asked if I understood the responsibilities of the position.

To make a long story short, they created a position for me, which I think is great. From what it sounds like they are in the middle of a huge transition/upgrade of all areas of the company. They offer they made me was more than I thought it would be and the bonus structure sounds great.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I thought the offer was very fair for the economy and the bonus potential is very good.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp (Boston, MA) in May 2011.

Interview

one phone interview followed by three 1:1 onsite interviews with the VP's two of which are moderate and the other one is tough. I didn't get any replies from the thank you letter i sent after the interview. the waiting period after the interview was painful cuz I didn't get any feedback.

Mortgage Development Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2011.

Interview

I spoke with the recruiter over the phone about the position. I met with a manager in person. It was quick and simple and I was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The negotiation phase was pretty rigid. I was offered a signing bonus, I countered and we met in the middle. When I started I found out that others were able to get more for the three month bonus.

IT Expert II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dorchester, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp (Dorchester, MA) in January 2011.

Interview

I applied for several higher level positions, and when called by HR the first question I was asked was if I speak Spanish. When I said no, they weren't interested. I eventually was called for this position which I was overqualified for, but needed work. I committed to the job but left very soon after the commitment period was over.

Negotiation

The hiring manager doesn't negotiate. HR handles the whole thing. They choose off standard job descriptions so you can't research salaries. I was asked what my last salary was and then I wasn't called for days. Then a more senior HR person called me told me the range and that I would be hired at the bottom of the range. There was no wiggle room, no negotiation. I took the job because I needed the work. Left as soon as I got something better.

Assistant Branch Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp (Brooklyn, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview process was very unorganized. I had sought out a position as an assistant branch manager at the time of application. Entering the interview with the District Executive, he thought I had applied for personal banking representative because of the file that was forwarded to him from HR. After clearing up the mix up, the district executive moved to making a formal offer. The HR representative sent me an offer letter with the wrong position listed but the salary we discussed. In the end, we got everything straightened out but with much unnecessary errors and delays.

Interview Questions

• How has your past employment given you the experience to handle issues in the role of assistant branch manager?   Answer Question

Part-time Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp (Brooklyn, NY) in December 2010.

Interview

The interview was very easy, in fact it was too easy. The entire thing consisted of a few questions and back and forth but it seemed very informal. I was asked basic customer service and sales questions, and although I seemed to connect with the interviewer, I did not walk away feeling positive due to the briefness of the interview. I did not feel as though it was taken very seriously. I have not received a call back yet.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to deal with an irate customer.   Answer Question
    • Are you familiar with selling promotional services?   Answer Question

Bank Teller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp (Harrisburg, PA) in June 2010.

Interview

I received a phone call the day after I completed the on-line application. The first interview was via phone, basic questions of qualifications, what positions and locations I was interested in. I received a phone call from a branch manager to interview 2 days later, I interviewed and was offered the position 4 hrs. later. The interview consisted of general conversation followed by formality questions of character...have you ever had to deal with a rude customer, what have you done to go above and beyond to assist a customer...nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you instead of the person coming in next to interview for the same position?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, as I am looking for an entry level position and experience is more important than the pay at this point for me.

SAP Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wyomissing, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp (Wyomissing, PA) in May 2010.

Interview

This was an internal position that I interviewed for. The hiring manager spent most of the time telling me about the position. I thought she may not ask me any questions, but then she did have notes on my resume and asked me resume-specific questions. The interview concluded with her telling me that she did not feel that this position would contain enough accounting for me and that I would be better suited for a staff accounting position

Bank Teller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sovereign Bancorp (Harrisburg, PA) in April 2010.

Interview

Contacted by Branch Manger for quick questions about availability and confirmation of background checks. 2nd interview was supposed to be 2:1 Branch Manager and Head Teller ask questions pertaining to customer service and circumstantial issues and how to handle them. The branch I eventually worked in at the Colonial Park Mall was all mid 30's and fun to work with. They maintained professionalism with daily humor to avoid added stress. 3 staff members to run the bank with minimal supervision due to the knowledge and professionalism with the Head Bank Teller or Company was too cheap to hire a Branch Manager.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever gone above and beyond to assist a customer or client? And what did you do to go above and beyond?   Answer Question