Space Systems/Loral Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Space Systems/Loral Interview Questions

Updated Jun 10, 2017

Propulsion Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral.

Interview

Few phone screens with HR, then on-site. on-site consisted of 4-5 one-on-one interviews with various engineers and managers.

The interviews were pretty easy, just answering some questions about your resume and basic technical questions on rocket propulsion related stuff.

Interview Questions

• talk about projects in your resume, few very basic technical questions   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Interview

They were really friendly and it was more of a discussion than an interrogation. It was an enjoyable experience. It was an on campus college interview and I did not pursue any further.

Associate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

SSL representatives came to my school early in the fall of 2016 to hold an info session. They were promoting college recruiting for the following summer for interns and new hires. Also went to an onsite career fair. I applied online and was asked to come in for an all day interview. I met with several hiring managers who asked me about myself. Nothing too technical, mostly just my experience. Then I had lunch with the hiring manager to ask if I had any other concerns/questions. It has been two months since then and I still haven't heard anything back. The entire time (before I even interviewed) their staff has been painfully slow at responding, if at all.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral in February 2017.

Interview

I went to the SSL career fair at the SSL campus in early January. I was contacted at the beginning of February for an interview. There were two separate phone interviews with different hiring managers. They went into some depth on my resume and asked questions based on that. After the second interview I heard back quickly with an offer for the internship.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I applied through the company's job center. I was offered interviews on two separate days with different groups. Each day had me interview with several people one on one where I answered both technical and more personality/background type questions. I was also able to ask questions of my interviewers and took a tour of the manufacturing areas.

Interview Questions

• I was asked on my background working including what type of programs I had used for design work.   Answer Question

Associate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Met a hiring manager through a university event and then followed up by attending on site career fair. After career fair received an in person request via HR where I interviewed with about 5 managers. Included a tour of the high bay and a lunch interview. Questions were both technical and behavioral however all technical questions were centered around the work listed on my resume.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult part of [project I had worked on]   1 Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online and followed up through a career fair. Started with a call from the hiring manager of the group. Asked a bunch of questions on resume and why I want to work at SSL. I explained all the experiences on the resume with technical terms and concepts to show my understanding.

Later set an onsite interview, where they paid for flight and car rental. 4 hours interview including lunch with the hiring manager and his group. Another 2 hours with neighboring groups. One more 30 minutes presentation on a technical topic. Interviewed with total of 8 people.

Followed up afterwards and got the offer. Great people, great culture, but I also had other offers. The pay is not that great for Silicon Valley.

Interview Questions

Had a lot better job offer from other Aerospace company.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I had applied online, then a few weeks later, had an interview on the phone before going in to interview with their recruiter and the manager I would be working under

Interview Questions

• What makes you the perfect fit for this job?   1 Answer

Structural Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Applied online in late July and received an email to schedule a phone interview in early October. Manager explained he would limit to 30 minutes, no time for my own questions, or if I was getting a second interview. He asked how my experience relates to the position followed by every technical question posted here on the same position with some other structural questions. I got a phone call within a week saying "I was not a good fit" and will not be moving forward.

Experience was very similar to what others have said about this position. I felt like the time limit does not let you evaluate the company fully. I do not believe there was enough time for me to sell myself, or he about the company. The back-to-back technical questions made me feel like work was the only focus and not me fitting in with the group personally. This is a fair view point that may be fine with some and not with others.

Interview Questions

• How does your experience prepare you for this position?
      What are some boundary conditions used in structural analysis?
      Answer Question

Structural Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral in August 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview.
    Very to the point. Said they will limit it to 30 min, no time for my questions after, will ask me a few questions and occasionally butt in for me to elaborate, will not tell me whether I got a second interview after, will tell me after a week. Got pretty fast paced towards the end.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about so and so project and your involvement.
      What are you solving for in a static solution?
      What's Hooke's Law?
      How do you determine the stiffness of a structure?
      How would you increase the stiffness of an element?
      What is the bending stress equation?
      What's the moment of inertia of a beam with rectangular cross section?
      Answer Question