Space Systems/Loral Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Space Systems/Loral Interview Questions

Updated May 17, 2017

3.2

Engineer Interview

Interview

They were really friendly and it was more of a discussion than an interrogation. It was an enjoyable experience. It was an on campus college interview and I did not pursue any further.

Associate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

SSL representatives came to my school early in the fall of 2016 to hold an info session. They were promoting college recruiting for the following summer for interns and new hires. Also went to an onsite career fair. I applied online and was asked to come in for an all day interview. I met with several hiring managers who asked me about myself. Nothing too technical, mostly just my experience. Then I had lunch with the hiring manager to ask if I had any other concerns/questions. It has been two months since then and I still haven't heard anything back. The entire time (before I even interviewed) their staff has been painfully slow at responding, if at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Applied online in late July and received an email to schedule a phone interview in early October. Manager explained he would limit to 30 minutes, no time for my own questions, or if I was getting a second interview. He asked how my experience relates to the position followed by every technical question posted here on the same position with some other structural questions. I got a phone call within a week saying "I was not a good fit" and will not be moving forward.

Experience was very similar to what others have said about this position. I felt like the time limit does not let you evaluate the company fully. I do not believe there was enough time for me to sell myself, or he about the company. The back-to-back technical questions made me feel like work was the only focus and not me fitting in with the group personally. This is a fair view point that may be fine with some and not with others.

Interview Questions

• How does your experience prepare you for this position?
      What are some boundary conditions used in structural analysis?

Structural Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral in August 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview.
    Very to the point. Said they will limit it to 30 min, no time for my questions after, will ask me a few questions and occasionally butt in for me to elaborate, will not tell me whether I got a second interview after, will tell me after a week. Got pretty fast paced towards the end.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about so and so project and your involvement.
      What are you solving for in a static solution?
      What's Hooke's Law?
      How do you determine the stiffness of a structure?
      How would you increase the stiffness of an element?
      What is the bending stress equation?
      What's the moment of inertia of a beam with rectangular cross section?

Structural Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral in May 2016.

Interview

The interview consisted of first contact by email to confirm a scheduled phone interview. The phone interview consisted of basic behavioral questions followed by specific technical questions. If the interview went well, a second in person interview on site would be scheduled.

Interview Questions

• What tools did you use for communication in a team project and given an example.   Answer Question

Structural Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral in May 2016.

Interview

I was first emailed about the position I applied for which was not long after I informed my point-of-contact from my school's career fair. The first stage was a phone interview that lasted about an hour. The questions involved included both soft-skills and technical skills. I did not make it past the phone interview unfortunately.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to make a decision.

A wide range of structures questions with varying difficulty, for example:
      Hooke's Law?
      What are the failure modes of a composite sandwich?
      How do you judge a structure's stiffness?

Associate Power Electronics Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral in April 2016.

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews and 1 on-site interview. I was interviewed on-site for 3 hours by different members of the team I would be working with. They asked things about my resume as well as questions on schematics that they were working on.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the interviewer that lasted about 30 minutes. The questions that he asked were mainly standard personality questions and questions that revolve around teamwork. He was very friendly throughout the entire interview process. I thought I did fairly well on the interview, but did not get an offer.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Upon arrival I met with my interviewer and he gave me a tour of the facility. I was interviewed by three different people; the Head of the division, a senior mechanical engineer, and a production engineer. Each interview was one on one and each focused on a different aspect of the company.

Interview Questions

• How has your previous job experience prepared you for this position?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Space Systems/Loral (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Received an email for an onsite job interview. Got there and interviewed with a total of 6 people one after another for a total of 3 hours. Some interviewers were friendly while others seemed like they didn't want to be there. Got to tour the facilities and learn more about the company. Interview focused mostly on resume.