SpaceX Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SpaceX Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at SpaceX

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

Applied online, had a phone screen with a recruiter, was brought on-site for a bunch of 1:1 interviews, had a phone call with a VP, and shortly afterward was given an offer.

1:1's were pretty casual, and they didn't drill into too much technical stuff. I think they were mostly looking to see if I fit the culture.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not allow for negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for SpaceX

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

Someone from HR called to schedule a phone interview. The first interview was pretty straight forward. They asked me a bunch of undergraduate structures questions:
    - cantilevered beam with load at the end, where will it fail and why, how would you design the cross section to allow it to withstand more force, etc
    - vertical cantilevered beam with compressive force, where/how will it fail and why, how would you design the cross section so that it can withstand more force, given a certain mass would you choose aluminum or steel

After that we mostly talked about the company and the structures group within the company. HR called back a few days later to schedule a second phone interview, this time with finite element methods in addition to structures. All the technical talk revolved around the question "how would you model a rocket?" This included talking about boundary conditions in a rocket model, what types of elements would be used, and how you would go about checking the accuracy of someone else's model.

Interview Questions

• None. All the questions are fairly straightforward. They take what you're good at and see if can you apply this topic to rockets.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter based on LinkedIn profile.
    30 minute phone interview with recruiter.
    30 minute phone interview with hiring manager.
    30 minute phone interview with senior manager in same higher level organization.
    Flown to Hawthorne to tour facility.
    Gave 20 minute presentation on topic of their choosing with group questions to follow.
    Tour of facility I would be supporting and met people I would be working with.
    1:1 in person interviews with people that attended or were supposed to attend my presentation.
    Final 30 minute phone interview with VP of organization I would be supporting

Interview Questions

• How many samples should one take to begin obtaining a statistically significant sample?   1 Answer
    • What was your college GPA?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for SpaceX?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

I put in an application online expecting nothing. 1 day later, I got a call back from a recruiter to schedule an interview. The interview was a phone interview with a senior engineer. It delved deeply into the technical details of my previous internship and project experience. Make sure you can explain everything on your resume, and talk in great detail about your projects and why you did what you did. Overall, I thought the phone interview went poorly because I was struggling to recall some fine details of my work.

Apparently, the call went well because 3 days later I found out I was selected to move onto the next round. I STRONGLY recommend you send a powerpoint presentation overviewing your projects to your interviewer. I did this and I think it made a huge difference. Having visuals helps the interviewer understand what you're trying to explain.

For the next round, they sent me a take-home project. I spent many hours on it and wrote up a paper. The assignment was very ambiguous and it could have been approached in at least two ways with different results. I asked them about this and they never responded; after I submitted my work, they said I failed to address some key components of the solution. Had they answered my initial questions, i probably would have been able to have done that. Oh well.

Anyway, the recruiters were very nice and timely. SpaceX seems to move fast for the hiring process, which is good.

Interview Questions

• Literally just know everything there is to know about your previous internship and project experience. Also try to mention relevant coursework. And for my interview, there were no brain teasers or school-type questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at SpaceX (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

Long but super interesting. You meet a lot of great people. If you pass the first few rounds of questions they will fly you to SpaceX. Some days Elon Musk is in the company so you might get lucky and see him! Not easy questions.

Interview Questions

• Very specific questions about your resume. Basic engineering questions (fluids, static, heat transfer)   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Interview

It was a technical interview that required engineering experience. Some of them were abstract, some were trivial. All in all it was a good and challenging experience. It is something I won't forget

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

It's not a difficult interview, if you qualify for the job you'll know the answers to the technical questions. Just know that even if you have 5+ years of work experience if your GPA was under a 3.5 it will be considered a negative.

Interview Questions

• Do you remember your college GPA?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SpaceX (Boston, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone technical Interview. Asked questions about past projects that required detailed explanations of engineering principles used. Asked engineering questions involving concepts learned in past classes. Lasted about 40 minutes.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in McGregor, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (McGregor, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online; interviewed by phone twice. The process was fairly painless, the recruit interviewed me first. Then I was followed up by a technical phone interview from my current supervisor and I go the offer exactly one week after the technical interview. From there, a background check was done, then an official offer was sent once I passed the background check.

Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at SpaceX in April 2016.

Interview

Half hour interview, they called precisely on time. Grilled me on my technical experience and decision making for 20 minutes. 8 Minutes of me asking questions until I delved into proprietary secrets.

Interview Questions

• What material was X part of your project made of and why? What would you design differently?   1 Answer