SpaceX Integration and Test Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SpaceX Integration and Test Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at SpaceX

4.0

Integration and Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

~45min phone interview with recruiter, then 30min interview with hiring managers, finally flew down to Hawthorne for the in person set. That involved a 15 minute presentation (prepared ahead of time) followed by 15 minute Q&A, then half hour one on one interviews with hiring managers and coworkers.

Interview Questions

• Describe the most technically difficult challenge you've faced and what you did to overcome it (15 minute presentation)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for SpaceX

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Following my internship earlier this year, I was contacted about ~5 different full-time positions and this was the one that got the farthest through the process. Every interview was conducted over the phone, starting with a preliminary interview with HR and then a follow-up technical interview with a hiring manager on the team. After getting past the first technical interview, I spoke with the Director and then the VP of the group.

Interview Questions

• - Going through design projects from previous internships
      - How would you do X differently and why
      - Different manufacturing techniques and pros and cons of each
      - Driving loads on different system components of assembly
      - What kinds of tests have you run on that system in its final assembly, what data did you collect and why   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed over the phone twice before being called out for an on-site interview. My phone screenings were relatively pleasant - my interviewers wanted to discuss the experiences I had mentioned on my resume and gave me a few questions about hypothetical engineering scenarios to think over. They did not run overlong and allowed me time to learn more about the position I was interviewing for and how SpaceX operated. When I was called out to an on-site interview, I was made very comfortable at a nearby hotel for the night (I had to fly in from across the country) and my interviewers made an effort to help me enjoy my visit to SpaceX, providing me with a tour and a pleasant casual lunch with a current employee. Aside from the niceties, the interview itself was very in-depth and at times intimidating. I was asked to give a presentation on a project I had worked on and was proud of, and was asked incisive questions throughout about the project and my role in it. I was also taken into separate interviews with 1 or 2 interviewers at a time and given engineering problems to solve. This process went on all day, and it was past 6pm when it was finally over. SpaceX took some time to get back to me, but eventually offered me a position that was quite different from the one for which I had interviewed. Instead of a position as a Falcon 9 Integration & Test Engineer, I was offered a position as a Certification Engineer in Dragon 2 Life Support Systems. SpaceX kindly offered to fly me out again in order to meet some of that group to help me decide if I wanted to accept the position, but I wasn't able to make it, so instead they arranged phone calls with several engineers in the group. The position sounded interesting, so I ultimately accepted it, but it was somewhat disconcerting to be starting in a position so different from the one for which I'd interviewed.

Interview Questions

• If this part of the project you worked on had been constrained differently, how would you have made these engineering decisions? What would that have looked like with different constraints?   Answer Question
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I was flown to the Hawthorne office to give a one hour technical presentation, followed by eleven 30 minute interviews. Some of the interviews were technical, some personality. Four of them had me down on the factory floor talking about various components of the rocket. The rest of the interviews were in a small conference room with whiteboard walls. Most of the interviewers had me explaining projects I'd done in the past, and the whiteboards were a huge help. I met people who would be on my future team, including my future manager. I interviewed with everyone from brand new employees (4 weeks in) to a VP who had been there 10 years.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you messed up, and what you did to fix it.   Answer Question
    • Down on the factory floor I was asked things like, "What is this, what does it do, how was it made and why did we make it that way?" Very open ended, but gives a lot of room to show off analytical and problem solving skills.   Answer Question

Integration and Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX in September 2015.

Interview

Talked to a recruiter on campus and applied online. Got a call from HR to set up a phone screen interview. The phone screen was all about projects I had worked in the past, very detailed make sure you know your past projects down to material type. Not much excitement on the other side of the phone, didn't seem to excited to be having to do an interview.

Integration and Test Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online for avionics intern but got contacted for an interview with I&T. They emailed me which lead to a preliminary phone interview with HR. They went over basics, logistics, and a lot of intern stuff, though I hadn't gotten the job yet. Then I had a phone interview with my manager for about an hour. It was very laid back and not stressful. We joked around a bit, talked about my resume, and at one point were talking about Star Trek. I heard back after about a week. The entire process took about 3 weeks total.

Once I had my offer I had 1 or 2 weeks to complete all necessary paperwork. There was a background check but I'm not creepy so I passed. There was no drug test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation phase.