SpaceX Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SpaceX Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at SpaceX

3.3

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at SpaceX in March 2015.

Interview

Had my resume submitted via an employee referral. Had a phone interview with two senior engineers on the team I was applying for. They seemed exhausted as the interview started and stated they had already interviewed other applicants. Asked me pretty standard questions which seemed easy enough to answer, but gave confusing reactions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for SpaceX

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SpaceX (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Was pretty straightforward, the engineer was pretty chill and introduced himself a bit at first and said why he wanted to interview me (our similar backgrounds and what stood out on my resume). He then asked me a few questions about project work I listed on my resume and then he asked technical questions based on what I described from what I've done. He was working in the turbomachinery department at spacex and interestingly enough he asked about some aircraft restoration work I've done (was listed on resume). When I mentioned a few technical terms, he asked me technical questions such as why an aircraft would have such a design/shape and a few questions on the equation for lift and the types of pressures. I figured it was all pretty relevant since his department does heavy fluid/CFD work with the actual rocket turbomachinery. What kinda sucked was that the recruiter told me to study up on the rocket engines since this was the turbomachinery department (boy did I study about those merlin/raptor engines and fuel cycles!) and in the end I wasn't asked anything about them. No biggy though, never know what spacex exactly has in mind when interviewing students :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Completed a phone interview with SpaceX in the spring of 2016. The interviewers were incredibly professional and knowledgeable asking in depth questions about design experience and laboratory work I had done. Look over your resume and ensure you have in depth knowledge about anything you mentioned. They are looking for the best and will ensure that you have distinct knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Questioned most of my resume and required in depth responses   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

30 minute technical interview after being put through HR. I was asked mostly sophomore/junior level questions. These questions were mostly analytical, based on theory learned in classes. There was little technical design emphasis.

Interview Questions

• How would you determine the force caused by flow through a control volume   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Very easy process, took about two weeks and it was two phone interviews with a member of the team that you would be working with. Just asked questions about previous experience and other things on your resume

Interview Questions

• Asked about previous job experience   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Altogether I had 3 phone interviews. The first one was extremely pleasant - I was asked to tell about myself and my background, we talked about my experience with the equipment we have at my school lab, that I worked on for couple of years. Second interview was in 2 weeks with a director of the department and it was scary – I didn’t think I passed it. I was asked if I have experience on everything related to composites: layup, curing, testing (3pb,4pb, DCB, OHT), NDE – CT inspection, volumetric image rendering, methods of image reconstruction ( my proposed PhD topic) , how would I deal with artifacts, how would I set the technique for scanning, what other kinds of NDE I’m familiar with – ultrasound, shearography etc, then when it comes to failure analysis how would I model the crack, would I be comfortable working with methods other than FEM ( about 16 questions in 20 min !!!) – for those of you who are in the Structures field, you know each of those areas are very broad and you cannot be a specialist on everything. So I answered honestly what I knew or worked with before, what I’ve dealt with only in the scope of my school coursework and what I never had experience with. I was asked whether it bothers me to come from a purely academic environment to a place like SpaceX, where they build things and everything is very hands on. I said that I would love to finally see how things are built in industry after reading/ researching so much about them. It was hard to tell if my interviewer was happy with my answers, and I didn’t know if I should have acted like I if knew all those areas – in any case at the end I was asked to name what I like to do most at my work (her goal was to identify which department my skills would fit best). I got a call in 2 weeks to schedule a 3rd phone interview which was, like my 1st one, very pleasant and laid back, took about 15 minutes and 5 more to discuss when I am available to come for my internship.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of something you've built, that gave you a lot of satisfaction?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for SpaceX?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

One phone interview. Asked a lot of technical questions relating to composites (manufacture, mechanics, etc.). Asked questions about projects I had worked on in the past and my specific roles in those projects. Asked personal questions (hobbies, goals, etc.) to determine best fit in group. As much about being a good engineer as it is being personable.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

2 phone interviews. They asked various situational personality questions as well as technical questions. We discussed the job opertunity what would be expected and how I would fit into the team.

Interview Questions

• How to derive and apply various stress equations   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX in December 2015.

Interview

I was given a timed online coding test with many questions. After successfully completing the test, I was given a phone screen where the interviewer asked about my background and then dove in to more technical questions.

Intern Interview

Interview

Was contacted by HR after applying online. Then I had a very brief 25 minute phone interview with someone on my team. Almost entirely behavioral, not technical at all. I received my offer a few weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Do you know SpaceX's stated mission?   1 Answer