SpaceX Launch Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 24 of over 839 interviews

3.7
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at SpaceX

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in Apr 2021

Interview

Three interviews in total: a short 30 min interview with recruiter, a 30 minute technical interview with the hiring manager, and an onsite interview with the team. The first interview was just a general overview of the process and to provide some additional information on the job role. Second interview was pure technical questions regarding thermodynamics and fluiddynamics, which took me by surprise and felt like a oral pop quiz that I didn't study for. The manager was also very condescending when answers were incorrect. I did not make it to the final interview, but after the second interview I no longer wanted to work for the company.

Interview Questions
  • Technical topics included: Pipe flow for incompressible and compressible fluids, friction loss in a pipe, Gas laws (ideal vs. non ideal), reynolds number, pump design, pump sizing, tank design, refrigeration cycle, etc.
    Answer Question

SpaceX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SpaceX

Interview

Started off with an informal screen with the recruiter about a job I had applied to online. Next was a technical screen followed by a panel interview where I presented about a technical project. Next was two more screens with hiring managers.

Interview Questions
  • Technical questions about fluid pumps, gasses under pressure etc.
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Cape Canaveral, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SpaceX (Cape Canaveral, FL) in Dec 2020

Interview

Long and tedious. For me it was a 5 step process, two technical phone screenings, an engineering presentation to a panel of engineers, a third "troubleshooting skill" phone screening, and finally an in-person interview at the Cape.

Interview Questions
  • Engineering technical questions. How do some electrical components works? Logistics of installing components. How would you test this or that.

SpaceX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SpaceX

Interview

Four to five interviews. Two phone screen, one technical interview where you present on a project, and then in person technical interview. I summarized my graduate projects for the phone screen. Did not make it beyond those.

Interview Questions
  • What do you think about some of the challenges we face going forward?
1 person found this interview helpful

SpaceX

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX in Sep 2020

Interview

First a call with the technical recruiter. Very short, 6 mins. He asked: 1) if I had a U.S. citizenship/green card, 2) what were the years I earned my degrees, 3) why SpaceX. Then there was a 30 mins call with the lead engineer and a manager. They asked about my past experience and wanted to see how they could benefit from it. Then there was a remote (I accuse due to COVID-19) presentation with 3 manages and 2 HR guys. It went ok. They again asked some questions about my past experience. Sometime after the call an HR guy called and said that the feedback was good, but they decided not to continue with my application. I was super surprised and upset, but I sure appreciated the feedback.

Interview Questions
  • Q.: How can you help us? Q.: Do you have an experience building some piece of equipment. Q.: Was there something that went bad in your previous job.

SpaceX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SpaceX

Interview

Had a first round interview with two engineers from the Cape Canaveral location. It mostly consisted of going over the background on my resume and then three technical questions. I did very well on all of it and then never heard back from the team. Was later told they went with an internal hire but the position was still listed on the website. Then interviewed for a similar position in Brownsville, TX. It was an incredible informal call where the interviewer called two hours late and was driving with poor connection the whole time. He started off the interview taking jabs at the other team I interviewed with. We had an interesting conversation about values the team had and the crazy stuff they are doing with Starship. He said I was a culture fit and would move onto the next round. I never heard back from him or the team. The recruiter I was in touch with kept me updated for about a month where they still were interviewing other candidates. Recruiter will not answer me anymore and is completely ghosting me. Pretty disrespectful stuff.

Interview Questions
  • Describe how an airfoil generates lift.
  • Given three beams, two aluminum and one steel, sandwiched between two plates with a load on the plates: What is the load distribution between the beams?
5 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Cape Canaveral, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SpaceX (Cape Canaveral, FL) in Aug 2020

Interview

Applied with my resume online. I was contacted for a phone interview ~3 weeks later with hiring managers where they asked me non-technical questions. About 2 weeks later I was invited to an on-site interview. On-site interview consisted of a presentation on one of my projects, during which the interviewing team (about 8 people) would ask both technical and non-technical questions.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about your greatest engineering challenge. Tell us about a time you helped resolved a conflict, technical or non-technical. Why do you want to work at SpaceX?
1 person found this interview helpful

SpaceX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX in May 2020

Interview

SpaceX recruiter emailed to set up interview about two weeks after applying online. Three of their engineers asked me some questions about my experience, education, and extracurriculars in school (entry-level position.) The second half of the interview was basic engineering knowledge questions related to the position.

Interview Questions
  • How is lift generated?
  • How would you design a Quadcopter for Mars?
  • Your propulsion system is leaking. How do you find the leak without disassembling it?
  • If you have a sealed cooler with a spigot at the bottom filled with water, what is the flowrate over time?
4 people found this interview helpful

SpaceX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX in May 2020

Interview

-Phone screen with recruiter, scheduled interview with 2 managers for the next week -Interview with 2 managers, basic discussion: some personal and conceptual questions -2 days later: received email that I was to virtually share a presentation on my highest technical achievement with the managers and senior engineers on the team, scheduled for 4 days later. I also had to fill out documentation about 5 other engineering projects I managed. Usually this interview is conducted in person; however, I interviewed at the height of COVID-19 quarantine so everything was held over the phone/internet. -Presentation followed by 3 rounds of phone interviews with 2 teammates on each call -2 days later call from recruiter letter me know I had made it to the final interview, scheduled phone interview with director for that evening -Recruiter called 1 hour after phone interview with director concluded extending offer

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

SpaceX

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 2 months. I interviewed at SpaceX

Interview

I was still in school so my hiring process was a bit more spread out (~ 2 months). I went and talked to SpaceX at a career fair and apparently did well enough to hear from two different recruiters in the next week. I received an email from one of them and scheduled a phone call with them to talk about the position. We talked for about 20 min and she asked me a few basic questions about my experience, oddly they wanted to know my irrelevant SAT and ACT scores from years before, and she decided I was a good fit so scheduled a phone call for me with the team manager about 2 weeks later. When I got on the phone with him we went much more in depth as to prior projects from internships and school. The call lasted about 30 min and did not really have any challenging questions. He said I could expect to hear back in about a week. I ended up hearing back from the recruiter the next day, telling me I was going to be pushed to the next round of the process. A few weeks later they flew me down to Orlando for an in person interview, involving a 30 minute presentation on one of my previous projects in front of 6 engineers on the team. This presentation quickly became about an hour and a half after answering all of their questions throughout it, which was very challenging. The questions keep you on your toes and are mostly meant to see how you approach it and think through it, not necessarily to get it correct due to how quickly they want an answer (although that's always a plus). After the presentation they gave me about a 60 question test, basic physics questions with no math, just concepts. They give you an hour to take it but it doesn't take that long if you know your stuff. After this I was able to tour the pad, and due to the timing of my interview, I was lucky enough to walk directly underneath the Falcon Heavy while it was still being assembled in the hangar. Following the interview, the timeline was about the same. I heard back from the recruiter 2 days later saying I had been pushed to the final step of the process. This time was just another phone call, except with the VP of launch (If you get this far be prepared). The phone call was about 20 minutes long and he just asked more challenging questions, and then we talked about the company in general. Again, I heard back 2 days later and the recruiter told me that the paperwork was not official yet but that I had received the job!

Interview Questions
  • If you blow up a balloon and then let it go, draw us a graph of the radius vs. time and tell us any assumptions you made about the system
  • If you were to calculate the reynolds number of fluid in a pipe, what all does it depend on?
  • You're holding a rock on a boat in the middle of a stagnant lake. Then, you throw the rock into the lake. Once everything settles out, what has happened to the shore line? Explain why
12 people found this interview helpful