SpaceX Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

3.5

199 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA).

Interview

I applied online. I was sent a link to an online timed test. After passing that I got a call to screen then invited to a panel interview. After the interview I received an offer.

Falcon 9 Quality Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Justina and the interview panel were very accommodating with my schedule. I had 7 interviews on both the east and west coast during the two weeks after she contacted me, and a small facial reconstructive surgery done the day prior to my interview (I maybe should have addressed that white elephant in the room as to why I looked like I just left a fight, but I doubt that was the deal breaker). Gave a presentation to a group of would-be peers and managers. The team asked questions and then I did a couple one on one interviews directly after, which was ultimately cut short of the final couple when it was decided I wasn't the best fit for the role. Justina was very candid with the feedback from the team and I appreciated the honesty (as opposed to some long, drawn out process, as is the case with most companies). I'm still hoping to secure a position with the Company, but it is unlikely it will be in that realm. Overall, I enjoyed the break-neck pace of trying to handle my own professional and personal items, along with having the chance to interview on short notice - definitely the type of tenacity I like to see with others in organizations I work with.

Interview Questions

• Some technical, lots of situational. They will leave it up to you to go into technical detail. You will shoot yourself in the foot if you give anything less than an engineer's perspective and level of detail.   1 Answer

Flight Reliability Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I interviewed for a Fall 2017 internship in the Flight Reliability Division. After 2 employee and 1 professor referrals, I was contacted by the Hiring Manager and HR to schedule 1 technical 30 min phone interview. A week after the technical interview, I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your projects.   Answer Question
    • If a cantilever beam is attached to a wall and a force is applied on the beam, where does the beam break and why?   Answer Question
    • What cross-sectional area is optimal to prevent Euler Buckling?   Answer Question
    • What's the equivalence resistance of a circuit with two resistors, R, when configured in parallel?   Answer Question
    • Say you put a fish in an adiabatic fish bowl; what will happen to the fish?   Answer Question

Senior Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process was pleasant, I had a talk with a recruiter followed by a technical interview. After this was a coding challenge that was simple, I cannot share many details, however it was a 3 hour test where I sent my code to be tested, after the 3 hours you are given an additional 30 minutes to iterate if needed. I unfortunately had a minor time management issue and did not proceed further than this phase of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference in C++ between stack and heap memory allocation.   Answer Question

Composite Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

(Out of State) Phone call to set up phone interview, phone interview, second phone interview, third phone interview, fly out for in person interview. Fairly easy, make sure you do your research.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in bonding/assemblies? Why do you want to work for SpaceX? Tell me about your technical background. History of SpaceX?   Answer Question

Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

We prepped in a conference room and then had several interviews with different groups. It was held on a Saturday. They served us breakfast and lunch.

Interview Questions

• Tell me an instance that made you hero of the day.   1 Answer

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SpaceX (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

The interview process was well-organized and thorough. All logistics for travel, interviews, schedules, etc. were arranged and held up. There is a phone interview with a recruiter followed by in-person interviews with a range of people you would be working with.

Vehicle Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was referred through a friend to someone in the HR department. They move VERY fast. I had a screening interview 3 days after being introduced and then had my first technical interview the following morning. This interview was based around work I had done for my FSAE team and how I had approached the design process for the drivetrain on the 2017 car. After a week or so I got an email saying that they wanted another interview. That interview was much like the previous one, where I was asked about things on my resume and about my involvement with my FSAE team.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through the design process for the drivetrain you built for the formula car.   Answer Question
    • How did you define the constraints of the system?   Answer Question
    • How would you do things differently given the chance to do the project again.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter, had two phone calls with technical leads, got invited on site for tour and interview. Gave a presentation about a previous technical project, then had one on one interviews with a few of them involving resume discussion and challenging thought problems they're currently looking at with respect to rocket manufacturing. Didn't get a single question right as far as I could tell but my thought process must have been decent because I got the offer!

Interview Questions

• As I understand it, you sign an NDA before the interview that prohibits you from disclosing the actual questions.
      Just know the interviewers sounded like they made them up a few minutes before the actual interview and it was related to whatever they were working on that dau   Answer Question

Falcon 9 Composites Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Flown onsite after 2 phone interview. Given a tour of the manufacturing facility and then gave a presentation to 7 engineers. After, I had 1 on 1 interviews with each engineer for roughly 30 mins where they asked technical questions.

Interview Questions

• How would I go about fixing a defect in a composite laminate?   1 Answer