SpaceX Structures Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SpaceX Structures Interview Questions

Interviews at SpaceX

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process for me was quick, helpful, and ultimately very fruitful. I was in touch with a recruiter very quickly, and received prompt responses to questions. Scheduling of the interview was easy, and done at a convenient time for me. The recruiter was quick to get back to me after my interview with an offer. The whole process took less than two weeks.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a number of questions about relevant hands-on engineering experience that I had listed on my resume. From this, the interviewer - who ultimately became my manager - was able to determine whether or not I would be a good fit.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Interns are not able to negotiate hourly wages.

Other Interview Reviews for SpaceX

Structures Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX in December 2014.

Interview

I met a SpaceX employee at a volunteering event and he asked me to send him my resume. He liked it and told me to look at SpaceX's website and search for positions which I find interesting. I told him propulsion.

HR contacted me within a week and scheduled an interview with the employee I met. He worked for structures so I was interviewing for structures instead of propulsion. It was an hour long technical phone interview. We talked about some projects that I completed and he asked me theoretical structures questions. The next day, HR contacted me again and scheduled an interview with the structures manager. Again, it was an hour long technical phone interview but this time we talked more in-depth about the projected I completed.

Unfortunately HR contacted me within a week informing me that I did not get the position.

Interview Questions

• If you had to build a mass-efficient bridge from one building to another, how would you make it? (cross section shape, material used, fixtures, max deflection, max stress, sources of failure)   2 Answers

Structures Interview

Interview

Submitted a resume and cover letter through a contact at SpaceX. Was called by a recruiter to schedule a phone interview for a week later. Person interviewing me called 30 minutes late, but was somewhat apologetic. Pretty basic technical questions followed by "tell me about your resume" questions. Overall pretty OK experience.

Interview Questions

• You are in a canoe in a kiddy pool. You mark the water level on the side. You have a rock in the canoe. You throw it overboard and it sinks to the bottom. What happens to the water level?   6 Answers
    • You have a beam attached to a wall by a weld. Where will it break? If you know what forces will be exerted on the beam, what information do you need to determine if the beam will fail?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Received an email addresses to FSAE teams, responded, and received a call around two weeks later to set up a technical interview with a structures manager. Technical interview was fair but not easy due to nerves and the quickness of the questions asked.

Interview Questions

• You have a cantilever beam on the side of the building with a point load at the end of the beam. What cross-section would you choose? Why? What material would you choose? Why? Now put that cantilever beam on a rocket. What material would you choose? Why? Where would the beam fail? Why? How else could you design the beam to reduce weight?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Received a phone call from my to-be manager at a time earlier agreed upon. He was a nice guy who was very happy to be working at SpaceX. I asked the manager how he began working at and enjoyed working at SpaceX. He asked a few very easy technical questions to hear my problem-solving process - just talk a lot and make sure the manager knows what you are thinking. Quite an easy interview but also likely depends on who is interviewing.

Interview Questions

• You are in a boat in a pool with a brick. You toss said brick into the water of the pool. Once the water settles again, has the height of the water gone up, down, or remained the same?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Was contacted by HR to schedule phone interview. Was called later that day to schedule 2nd phone interview. A week and a half later I was notified that the team did not want to move forward at that time. Questions were related to my past experience/projects.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I spoke to some recruiters at the 2015 Formula SAE competition who added me to a "rockstar" list (hooray!). I was contacted in June, and had a single phone interview/screening in July.

The phone interview was about 30 minutes to an hour long and included questions about previous experience and more specifics o things on my resume such as my FSAE experience. The last portion of the interview was a quick technical interview: mostly focusing on the classic mechanical engineering questions regarding beam tensile/bending/buckling deflection/failure, and some ways to maximize performance, as well as what failure looked like.

I was given an offer shortly after and accepted the position for the following summer (so interview at the end of summer 2015 and internship during the summer of 2016).

Interview Questions

• The classic questions about tensile, bending, and buckling failure/deflection of beams and what materials to make them out of to maximize performance.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Interview was over the phone. The first 1/3 was me describing my experience and past work. The second 1/3 was answering questions and the last part was talking about the work environment and opportunities.

Interview Questions

• Mechanics of materials Question   1 Answer