SpaceX Test Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SpaceX Test Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at SpaceX

2.9

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SpaceX (New York, NY).

Interview

Two phone screens, described by HR as being technical, but were not that technical actually. Standard manufacturing questions. Came onsite for a presentation, which was followed by 1-1s with each person in the audience.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for SpaceX

Test Engineer Interview

Interview

Rapid and comprehensive. First I had two phone interviews, behavioral and then technical, in two days. Then flown in for an on-site interview and tour. I was required to submit an in-depth presentation on a previous technical project.

Interview Questions

• Describe how to make a rocket engine system single-fault tolerant.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The process consisted of a phone screen with a recruiter, a technical phone interview with a couple of engineers, and then an on-site daylong interview. For the on-site interview, I was asked to give a 15-20 minute presentation on a project I had worked on to several members of the team. I then did a number of one-on-one interviews.

Interview Questions

• Draw a tapered measuring cup and put the volume graduations on it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in McGregor, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (McGregor, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Whole process took a little over a month. Was contacted by a recruiter via email for a position I applied for last year. Began with a short phone interview with the recruiter, followed a week later by a 1-hour long technical phone interview with one of the engineering managers. Two weeks later I was brought on site for interviews. This was a very long day, but an awesome experience. It started first thing in the morning with a technical interview with a group of engineering managers. They went in depth with everything on my resume. The large majority of the questions were focused on my master's degree work and the work I did in graduate school. With an advanced degree you should be prepared to answer any and every kind of question related to your research. That was followed by a lunch interview, tour of the test site, interview with the recruiter, and one final interview with a higher level manager. One week later I had a technical phone interview with one of the VPs. A few days later I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• In depth questions about graduate research and every project that I worked on while in grad school. Questions about research topics, reasons for decisions made, prodding to see if you know your own work.   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SpaceX in February 2015.

Interview

I was asked a number of technical questions which I worked through and provided answers to. The questions mostly pertained to how you would go about solving various technical problems. We discussed the work schedule and expectations after the questioning was completed. The job posting was not accurate to what the position required/was described as during the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about instrumenting and measuring the impulse provided by a rocket engine?   2 Answers

The job posting did not match the job description provided by the hiring manager/HR specialist. Also the salary in the location of the position was lacking.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was reached by a recruiter who found me on LinkedIn. After exchanging a few e-mails and sending my resume, the recruiter interviewed over the phone. My resume was then forwarded to the hiring manager who schedule another phone interview. The manager didn't call nor notified that he wasn't going to be able to interview me. Another phone interview was schedule was I finally go to talk to the manager, even though he called me 30 minutes after the scheduled time.

Interview Questions

• The order of operation of a few specific tasks listed on my resume.   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX in July 2014.

Interview

I had applied to internships on their website. I was contacted by a recruiter via phone. I had a brief conversation about my skills and interests in SpaceX. Then we had set up a time for a phone interview with the Test Engineering Manager for about a week away.

That interview went well and within a week, they had gotten back to me asking for references and completing a background check. I wasn't sure if I had gotten the position at this point, but from what I had researched, it was a pretty high likelihood. Once the background check cleared, they gave me an offer. Background check took about a week.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral questions. Some technical questions in regards to stresses and deflection in cantilever beams, material selection, and etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waco, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Waco, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

The interview process was intense. The first interview was phone interview and consisted of detailed questions related to my resume that was of interest to the company. The next step was series of on site interviews. These included an interview with the head of the HR department, group technical interview with employees, lunch interview, and a second technical interview. SpaceX is a great company. They have achieved extraordinary success and delivered results. Their philosophy is to set unrealistic deadlines but still manage to meet the deadlines. So the work consists of very long hours shifts.

Interview Questions

• What are the formulas for specific impulse, characteristic velocity, and thrust?   1 Answer

Test Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SpaceX (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online and had one phone interview. They asked a few question over the phone that mainly gauged my personality and what I would work like in a team. There were no technical questions. I mainly just focused on emphasizing how passionate I was about doing things in the engineering field that have never been done before and my interviewer seemed to like that.

Test Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SpaceX in December 2017.

Interview

There was the standard initial email exchange, and then phone interviews with HR and then a technical lead. They asked a lot about previous project experience, and then questions about logistics of the internship, followed by job-specific knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Can you give a high level overview of analog to digital signal processing?   Answer Question