SpaceX Vehicle Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SpaceX Vehicle Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at SpaceX

3.8

Vehicle Engineer Interview

Interview

Had an initial screening phone call with a recruiter to determine if I was fit for the job. After determining that I was a fit, I then had a technical interview with a member of the team.

Interview Questions

• How would you be able to tell if a sensor was providing bad data?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for SpaceX

Vehicle Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX in August 2016.

Interview

HR will schedule a time for two phone interviews that typically last 30 min- 1 hr with a full time engineer. Heavily focused on my own experience on other projects. Technical questions often stemmed from me talking. They want you to talk as much as you want, so be friendly and relaxed. A good portfolio goes a long way so have your projects well documented.

Interview Questions

• How does humidity affect cooling for a radiator? A person?   1 Answer

Vehicle Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX in January 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews. I was told who my interviewer would be ahead of time I did research accordingly and familiarized myself with the role. About 50% technical questions relating to the position and about 50% on past experience and projects. *Self motivation is key*

Interview Questions

• Most challenging project you've ever worked on and why. (General questions like that)
      Bunch of mechanics of materials equation based type questions.   Answer Question
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Vehicle Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process consisted of three phone interviews each ranging from 30 to 80 minutes long. The interviewers first asked me why I am interested in SpaceX, and then they moved to technical questions. The acoustics engineers I spoke to asked what experience I have with their field and used my experience to ask more detailed questions. We also discussed the specifics of work experiences I had listed on my resume. The questions were fair because they applied knowledge from experiences I have rather than testing my exposure to a random field.

Vehicle Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at SpaceX.

Interview

SpaceX visited my college and hosted an info session, where I learned about what kind of resume SpaceX prefers. I made the suggested changes (which was to fade out all non-engineering related extracurriculars, and leave only work exp and projects), and then I gave it to a recruiter the next day at the career fair. I got two calls a few weeks later from two departments. I knew nothing about the first one; a guy called me on his personal phone and started asking questions about my resume on the spot. I know my resume well, and normally this sort of encounter would have been fine, but the fact that it was SpaceX made me nervous, and the interview did not go well. The second department interviewed me through SpaceX HR, which follows a two step technical phone interview process. I knew when and who the call was going to be with, so I had an extra day to prepare. The first interview with this dept was focused solely on my resume. The two interviewers would ask a question about a bullet point on my resume, I would explain, they would dig deeper with more questions, to the point of asking me specifically which formulas I used to solve a specific task or what types of forces/stresses a particular part saw, etc to see if I really took ownership of my work and understood it. Make sure you know what you're talking about by studying every little detail of your past work. If you dont have an answer, try to explain how would find the answer.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest thing you've ever done?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA).

Interview

I applied through a referral and got a call from HR to schedule a phone interview. I had several calls from HR to provide my GPA and SAT scores for some reason. I got one scheduled for the next week with one of the structures engineers. 2 days after the interview I got a call from HR that I had been offered the intern position.

Interview Questions

• The engineer mostly asked questions about my resume. I also sent him a presentation of my college projects for him to follow along which he enjoyed. He asked about my designs, why I did what I did, what materials I chose and why. There were no technical questions unrelated to the experience on my resume. I also had a low GPA (below 3.0) and he did not ask about it because the engineers don't care. Engineers just care that you have relevant experience, skills, and are a fast learner.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

For an internship, I did two phone interviews after I got my resume screened. Two engineers on the team that was considering my applications interviewed me one at a time. They were just friendly chats about my experience, with a few technical questions to make sure I understood the fundamentals of structural mechanics and had the intuition to keep up when I got here.

Interview Questions

• Consider a beam loaded as a cantilever. Where will the highest stresses develop?   Answer Question
    • Consider a beam welded to a plate. This plate is bolted onto a wall with four bolts. The beam is loaded as a cantilever. What failure modes come to mind?   Answer Question
    • You have a beam and are designing it for maximum stiffness. What variables should you consider in order to achieve this design objective?   Answer Question

Vehicle Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX in June 2016.

Interview

Called by a recruiter in May. <1hr phone interview with a manager in June. Heard back from recruiters with an offer in late July. Not always typical, others get multiple interviews from what I've heard.

Interview Questions

• *Interviewer chooses one project off my resume and asks about what I learned from it.   Answer Question
    • Basic thermodynamics, statics, and materials questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at SpaceX (Troy, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Very fast and incredibly well handled. I sent a lead engineer I found on linkedin an email and he brought me in for interviews. I had a few screenings with HR for ITAR and availability. Then a 45 minute phone interview with a structures lead engineer. Onboarding was straight forward and relocation was very nice.

Interview Questions

• 30 Minutes of hard conceptual engineer questions to challenge my perceptual understanding of subject matter and not recall. They don't emphasize specific values as much as intuitive reasoning.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated by mentioning an offer I had at the moment that expired in a few days that I was considering to push them to send an offer. I got an offer the next morning

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SpaceX (Hawthorne, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

If you submit a resume either online or through a recruiter, that resume will go in a pile which will be sifted through by recruiters. Recruiters are looking for a good educational background and amazing project/work experience. The recruiters take the passing resumes and hand them out to engineers, who pick from that pile people they want to interview. Interviews for interns are a 30 minute technical phone interview, where a manager will ask you technical and theoretical questions, as well as detailed questions about any experience you put on your resume. If you pass, they will usually extend an offer to you within a week.

Interview Questions

• Given a competition to cross in between two 10-story buildings as quickly and safely as possible, how would you go about crossing, and how would you test your device/method prior to competition?   Answer Question