Specific Media Data Systems Analyst and Business Systems Analyst (Same Position Re-branded) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interview

By far the most difficult and emotionally challenging application/interview process I've ever gone through. I will be scarred for life. I got through an initial HR phone screening, 2 phone interviews, an online SQL test (far more difficult than the Oracle 1Z0-047 certification), and two in-person interviews. Between every step, silence from Specific Media where I was sure I wasn't going to get the job (and at the end, I was right about that). I'll have the rest of my life to ponder what I could have said or done differently. It probably would not have hurt to be 10 years younger. I also screwed up in asking for my fair market value, it would have been smarter to first research the salaries right here on GlassDoor, you can see that Specific Media is coming in on the low side for most positions and apparently retaining people with the outstanding atmosphere (which I got a good sense of when I was there, it really looks like a great place to work, except wow, they have everybody in open desks crowded in together, you would have to really like your coworkers).

Going in, be aware that once they rule you out for the job, you will never hear from Specific Media again. Total silence. No nice email with "we were impressed with your resume but found somebody else", no returned phone call, no returned email. I guess I can respect that.

Update: the situation got a little stranger when I applied (through Dice) for another job at Specific Media. I got a call within a minute from the Specific Media recruiter. I told him that I had been turned down for a previous job, and it turned out that the position I was applying for was a re-branded version of the exact same job I had applied for 2 months earlier. We agreed that I had the perfect background, he said he would check what had happened with my previous application and would get back to me that afternoon. Didn't happen, and I never heard from Specific Media again.

Interview Questions

• I'm going to be a little vague on the most difficult question, it was bizarre and off the wall and by far the most difficult question I've been asked in any interview ever. This will be the one where I have the rest of my life to ponder what else I could have said. It was a very specific question about a problem the department was having, a problem where there was an apparent culture clash, and a problem which I would be expected to fix. This was extremely funny, because I have some recent experience with this exact cultural difference manifested in the exact same way. Obviously I wasn't going to mention anything so politically incorrect in an interview. Instead, I came up with some good platitudes. I guess they weren't good enough.   Answer Question