Spectra Logic Interview Questions in Boulder, CO | Glassdoor

Spectra Logic Interview Questions in Boulder, CO

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Materials Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Spectra Logic (Boulder, CO).

Interview

1. Phone interview with HR
    2. Invited to attend invectives. When I arrived was immediately given an unexpected IQ test.
    3. Interviewed by a panel of 6 peers.
    4. Called back for second interview with 4 people that would report to me, followed by yet another panel interview with 6 more people that would report to me. Interview with hiring manager.
    5. Called back for panel interview with 8 engineers, followed by 1:1 interview with VP Ops.
    6. Received a phone call from HR asking if I could come back to interview with one more person (peer level) who had been on vacation. I refused having already interviewed with 25 people. If they couldn't make a decision, what difference would one more person make?
    7. Received, negotiated, and excepted offer.

Interview Questions

• 1. Do you think you can do this job? (Peer)
      2. Will you care if I come in late every now and again? (Subordinate)
      3. What do you think of the interview process? (VP)   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Spectra Logic (Boulder, CO).

Interview

Very poor hiring process. Recruiter had to be reminded over and over again to schedule a phone interview. They forced me to disclose my salary and offered me 10% lower than my then salary. I still decided to join because they told me that they will fast track my promotion and I will be making 10-20% more than my current salary. I got promoted after 6 months but they barely matched my salary to my previous company, let alone exceed it. I quickly decided to leave.

People are of below average intelligence. Not a good place to work unless you have no options.

Interview Questions

• Very simple coding questions. Check is a string is palindrome.   Answer Question

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Spectra Logic (Boulder, CO) in June 2015.

Interview

Fairly normal. Phone interview and then an in-office interview with 2 different people. One person yawned through the interview. It was disconcerting and made me wonder why I was even called in. It was obvious that the whole department was in flux as they were in the process of hiring a new controller. They never should have started interviewing without the key players in place. I never even got a rejection letter, email or call. Frankly, they were so disorganized and uncaring that I didn't want to work there.

Experienced Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spectra Logic (Boulder, CO) in June 2015.

Interview

Blatantly lied to. Bright picture of change to come was painted, but it quickly became obvious that the interviewer was simply going to join the good 'ol boy network and suck up to a paycheck and bonuses. Attain new warm bodies through deception with the hope they will simply march in step to the dysfunctional culture of chaos, finger-pointing and zero accountability.

Interview Questions

• Questions were focused on ability to fit into the culture instead of how I could contribute to change and tangible improvements. Should have been a red flag - won't be blind to this approach in the future.   1 Answer

Firmware Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Spectra Logic (Boulder, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by a talent acquisition employee, who conducted a quick phone interview to see if I would be interested in the job. Then had an on site interview about 2 weeks later. Talked with the manager of the division I was working in as well as 2 of the employees in that division. Most question were about personality and explaining things on my resume. There was a sprinkle of technical questions, but I don't even think they factored them too heavily into the final decision. Got the decision about 3 weeks after the on site interview

Interview Questions

• Went over my resume, past projects, experience with coding, things like that. Technical questions were draw a jk flip flop and a simple reasoning question relating to how many bits are traveling on a wire based on the data rate of the connection and the length of the wire.   Answer Question

Assembler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Interview

There was no interview, I was a temp for more than a year before I was hired. This was unusual, most temp-to-hire positions are 6 months or less to hire. Very long temp periods are normal for this cheap company.

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spectra Logic (Boulder, CO) in June 2014.

Interview

The particulars of the interview were not communicated ahead of time; it was scheduled for less than an hour and indicated I would only be seeing a manager and engineer for about half an hour each.

The manager did the usual "get to know the real you" stuff; what are your strengths and weaknesses, etc. The engineer, however, had a set of technical tasks for me to do. Not totally unheard of though I think I would have liked some heads up on the area of interests that they were focusing on so I could review some of the least recently used skills on my resume. (The job description wasn't very helpful in this respect either.) However, the presentation of these tasks turned out to be somewhat amateurish and inconsistent anyways and I'm not sure anyone could have prepared for it. I believe to detail the experience too much would probably violate Glassdoor's rant, vent, or defame policy, so I'll be brief and general. Some questions could have been framed in such a way as to determine my understanding of the underlying concept without being overly esoteric and specific at a level only those who routinely use that knowledge would know. Some questions were clearly formed using vocabularies and glossaries not paralleled in usage exactly the same way in other companies and asking him to elaborate just got him upset. And unfortunately, he sometimes had the wrong answers to some of his own questions and he did not seem to like being corrected. (Not good when you are trying to get into this guy's good graces....and I wasn't very tactful in dealing with it.) In the end, most the material wasn't difficult, but it was presented so badly that anyone one a little nervous and pressed for time probably would have difficulty with it.

In the end, I did not get an invite back for round two. Actually, I sensed this was not my type of company and was oddly relieved they did not call me back.

Interview Questions

• They were looking for someone to write firmware in C++ and had a small program as part of test for this. Since I had indicated my experience in this are was from many years ago and not very long in duration, I did not believe they would test me and I did not prepare for this.   1 Answer
    • Even though this job did not indicate a working knowledge of electromechanical devices, such as motors, be prepared for it. Many code writers do not have experience in this area.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spectra Logic (Boulder, CO) in December 2012.

Interview

An HR person initially approached me on Linkedin and asked me if I was interested in moving to Boulder and working for Spectra Logic. After that I had a total of 3 phone interviews, 1 programming assignment and 1 half-day onsite interview. The overall experience was positive, but I have no clue why I did not get an offer.

Exactly 4 days after the onsite interview later I got a vague e-mail from HR saying that my credentials are impressive, but they decided to pursue other candidates instead!

Interview Questions

• 1- What is the difference between run-time polymorphism and compile-time polymorphism. How does C++ implement compile-time polymorphism.
      2- What 4-letter acronym enables polymorphism in C++?
      3- Refactor the following class to make it more testable.
      4- Write code to detect circular paths in a linked list.
      5- Write a function to delete a given node in a singly-linked list.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spectra Logic (Boulder, CO) in April 2012.

Interview

Initial communication over the phone with a recruiter who assesses job fit and the candidate's desire, talks about the company culture, and may assign an exercise to demonstrate proficiency in coding.

If you're selected for onsite interviews, you'll spend the middle of the day meeting with the hiring manager and his team, as well as engineering management. You'll take a Wonderlic Cognitive Ability test and a manager will review your entire employment history and ask about past supervisors or managers. One interviewer will take you to lunch in the cafeteria as well.

If you are offered a job, you will probably hear from the hiring manager directly. You can negotiate to some extent (such as requesting more vacation, which tops out at 3 weeks per year). Once you agree to the offer terms and a start date, you'll receive a formal offer via e-mail, which you can accept electronically.

Interview Questions

• If you are interviewed by the CTO, expect an extremely challenging puzzle question such as "I have a large irregularly-shaped swimming pool. How can I find out how much water is in it?" The "correct" answer might be obvious but will probably be very obscure. The question is meant to reveal your thought process and technical background.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated with the hiring manager to accrue 3 weeks vacation per year and a slightly higher salary than the initial offer. The negotiation was cordial on both parts, and Spectra delivered the offer very quickly.

Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Spectra Logic (Boulder, CO) in January 2012.

Interview

Hard interview process. This company interviews and interviews. This is because there is a unique type of employee that fits in here and they don't want to hire a bad fit. Positive, happy work environment. Sure the interview process is long, but its worth it in the end.

Interview Questions

• 3 Light bulbs in a room three switches outside the room. You can only enter the room once, how can you tell which light switch controls each bulb.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It wasn't easy, but start high right from the get go, this might get you a bit more. This company doesn't pay well, but you are treated wonderfully