Spencer Gifts Assistant Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 16, 2017

2.6

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts.

Interview

It was going ok until I felt like the district manager was interrogating which made me very uncomfortable. Left the interview feeling defeated which nominally doesn't happen. The store manager was pleasant but the district manager was not welcoming....

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Spencer Gifts

Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts (Erie, PA).

Interview

a brief interview with the store manager and DSM. They asked about previous experiences, but did not detail the job nor the duties that would be expected outside of stating it was a standard management type position. There is no Profit or Loss given to management as the company seeks to keep the real numbers hidden from the staff. You are asked to complete loads of work with little or no payroll to complete it with.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were asked to do something you were not comfortable with?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you received a grade or a review on something that you disagreed with?   Answer Question
    • What do you think would make you a good fit for Spencer's gifts?   Answer Question
    • Would you feel comfortable answering questions or selling sexual items to guests?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a small amount more than what they initially offered

Assistant Manager Interview

Interview

I met with the District Manager. It was a fairly informal meeting. I was referred by another store manager in the mall, so that may be why it was so informal. The store I was at, where I held the same position, was closing. The District Manager was very pleasant.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts.

Interview

Was very friendly and informative. Was able to ask all the questions I had. Asked various questions about my previous employers and what I would do in specific situations. Over all was a very easy interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal if one of the employees left the store a mess the night before and you're the one that opened the store that day?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts (Bloomington, MN) in September 2016.

Interview

First interviewed with the District Manager and then completed a phone interview with the Loss Prevention department as well as the Regional Manager. The process was completed over a few days. All of my questions were answered up front and completely. It was a great experience.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts.

Interview

Applied online through their website. After about a week I got a call from a General Manager.

It was a fairly straight forward interview until the end. At first I was just asked about my previous job experiences and duties. There was some brief conversation about the differences of my brick and mortar retail management experience vs mall store management.

At one point near the end of the interview the GM started to insult my work history and experience, it was really odd and unprofessional especially after they seemed excited for my background. An example would be if I were talking about duties I was involved with, and they would go "You weren't doing that, you were only a..." and I would respond with "Well, I guess in some places that might be the case, but at so-and-so it was part of my regular duties." This seemed to be the theme of the second half of the interview, I say one thing, they say I wasn't doing that.

They also seemed to get really defensive about the type of merchandise that Spencers sells.

It kind of felt like I did or said something wrong, and the interviewer went hostile towards me. I can't really think of anything bad that I said or did beyond defending myself when questioned. I kept a polite tone the entire time.

I was told they would be interviewing a few more people, and that a District Manager would be following up for a second interview. That second interview never happened. After the experience with the first interview, I can only imagine that I dodged a bullet by not being hired.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked in a mall store before?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Laguna Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts (Laguna Hills, CA).

Interview

Fast interview and pretty laid back. Store manager and SPDSM both interviewed me and liked me. Took a long time for a response and 2nd interview over the phone with DSM. That was a bit odd and off putting but regardless, it was still an easy process.

Interview Questions

• They asked several questions about Loss Prevention and Shrink.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts (Dearborn, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

You meet with the D.M. and S.M., very simple, neither were prepared. In the middle of the food court. Very impersonal, and distracting. Questions were not appropriate at all.

Interview Questions

• Do i like the gay community   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts.

Interview

Management would have an interview with the district manager and if hired, a background check would be sent in. They dont issue a drug screening test or credit check. The interview process for associates is more laid back.

Interview Questions

• They have a list of stupid questions they ask everyone who has a interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiation the starting pay rate....or I thought.

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spencer Gifts (Columbus, OH) in April 2013.

Interview

The interview process was very quick, but the company was in great need for a manager. I applied and was called in for an interview within a week. I was hired within two weeks. But, only after a second interview with the district manager. Luckily, the district manager was at this particular store on the day of my interview with the store manager.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time that you had to overcome a conflict with a co-worker.   Answer Question