Spherion Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 29, 2017

2.1

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

Application

I interviewed at Spherion (Frederick, MD) in September 2017.

Interview

This 'interview' was one of the most misleading and unprofessional experiences of my career. It also smelt of a fishing scheme for extremely detailed personal information.

I am a mid-level career minded professional that specializes in (amongst other skills) process analysis, development, improvement, etc. A logical next step for someone with my background would be along the lines of senior consultant, regional or national manager of something, etc...

The experience begins with an email that reads; "We have received your resume and attempted to reach you by phone. We would like to schedule an interview with you in our office!!" I reply with a request for more (or any) information about the role they want me for. Unfortunately, I was too busy (working a 60hr week 200 miles from home before a holiday weekend) to note that my question hadn’t been answered in the reply. Instead, I allowed them to set a date and time figuring I would research the company more as soon as I was able. After some due diligence, I learned it was a staffing agency and almost canceled the interview. Though; I noted some direct hire roles on their website and thought, maybe they have something unlisted that they want to talk with me about, so I kept the date on my calendar.

Fast forward to the ‘interview’. I arrive 15 minutes early in a suit and tie, am handed a clipboard then asked to sit in a room full of (mostly) plain clothed people while I complete a couple forms. My confusion multiplied when I noticed the only other person in the room dressed for a job interview looked as confused as felt. Upon completion of the forms, several of us (including the other well-dressed person) were directed to a room to watch a video about working safely around heavy machinery and hazardous chemicals. I pulled aside the woman who herded us into the room and asked for an explanation before I spent any more of my time there. After clarifying the type of professional work I am in search of; she explained that they often have direct hire management roles to fill, and their ‘direct hire manager’ would eventually require me to watch this video anyway, so I submitted and took a seat. While in the room watching the short film for people that can’t be trusted to read warning labels, I got to chatting with the other well-dressed person whom I discovered was also thoroughly confused.

After the video, we were ushered back to the waiting area. Subconsciously; I was anticipating the swift jab of a blow dart then waking up in a labor camp, but it never came. I waited for an additional 10 minutes while I considered excusing myself politely and explaining the misunderstanding. But, because we were approaching two hours of wasted time, I decided to stick around for the rest of the show out of sheer curiosity.

After the additional wait, I was asked to complete some forms they had just emailed me… on their computer. ‘That’s weird’; I thought, as I sat down at a workstation and logged in to my google account. Upon retrieving and opening the forms I realized they were for on-boarding! They wanted detailed personal information including social security, bank account numbers (for direct deposit), tax details, and an I9. I STILL HADN’T BEEN INTERVIEWED, RECEIVED AN OFFER, OR ACCEPTED A JOB! I stood up and got the attention of the person who instructed me to complete these forms, then explained my bewilderment up to that point. I even pointed out the little statement at the top of every I9 form that instructs NOT to complete it before accepting a job offer. She appeared frustrated, told me to forget the forms then; in one motion, huffed and spun on her heal before sitting back down at hear desk.

I logged myself completely off of their computer and browser then sat back down and waited until a different woman approached and asked me to take the seat next to her (very long) desk. As we spoke, I expressed some of my confusion, and again, explained the type of work I do. She tapped on her keyboard a bit as she asked a few questions that were difficult to hear because of the atmosphere and her extra-long desk that forced me to sit several feet away. After a couple misunderstandings due to the noise and distance; she stopped tapping on her keyboard, turned around and said in a voice you would use to talk to a child “I usually tell people to do their research on companies before coming in for an interview” (Really!). She then explained that they did not have any positions in my industry that would be fitting for someone “at my level”. She stuck her nose up and hand out to shake, then I walked out of the office wondering; if anyone had actually read my resume, why would they have wasted so much of their own time.

Up to that point I had been laughing internally about the whole thing. I hadn’t decided to write this until the young woman with a superiority complex spoke to me as if she was explaining the fundamentals of gravity to a child.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions they should have already known... If anyone had done their job(s) prior to the interview.   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Spherion (Charleston, SC) in September 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, in-person interview and then job shadow. Waited for a skills test that I never received after several attempts to get a hold off the manager, which just kept avoiding calls, emails, and voicemails after she told me that they wanted to move forward with me. Very bad business practice for people who are interested in working there. If they do this to their employees, then I don’t want to know what they do with their contractors.

Signal Service Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spherion (Columbia, SC) in July 2017.

Interview

Very easy. Came up and knocked on the door (the building is locked and they function on appointments only). Was greeting politely by 2 or 3 people, then went into the interview room. Waited a few minutes and began the interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked several questions, mainly my knowledge regarding the position I applied for. One example was: "How long did you do that work for, and how would you rate your experience level?"   1 Answer

Line Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spherion (Fort Wayne, IN) in July 2017.

Interview

I interviewed based on a one on one basis. I took a drug test and passed. We went over do's and dont's. We watched a safety video to discuss all of the safety rules . I was offered a position right away and started working the very next day.

Interview Questions

• What kind of work experience do you have?   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spherion (Burlington, VT).

Interview

I applied online for a temp admin job and got called in to interview for an internal recruiter opening. I was interviewed by the Senior Recruiter first, then I was interviewed by the whole team (5 people at the time) in a panel interview setting. They were friendly and polite. Then I met with the owner who was a little intimidating. After nearly 9 years with the company I am happy I made the decision I did!

Financial Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spherion.

Interview

I first had a phone conversation and it went really well and I was asked to do some skills test which I did and then I was told to attend an interview but it was just the initial screening interview. The interviewer was late and she was not apologetic plus the interview was very rushed. I found the person interviewing me really rude and she kept cutting me off while I was speaking. I just got done the interview and I have been advised to wait few days for an opening. I am waiting for an offer.

Interview Questions

• what are your strengths? and weaknesses   1 Answer

Print Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Spherion (Madison, WI).

Interview

They Brought me into the site I would be working at, asked me basic interview questions. None of them too complicated and took me on a tour of the facilities and asked me when I could start.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about us? Have you worked in the print industry before? Are you able to be on your feet for extended periods of time?   1 Answer

Client Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spherion.

Interview

Multiple Spherion associates interviewed me at the same time on-site at the clients location, office setting in a small room. We discussed my qualifications, experience and what I could bring to the role.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about a time when..., and how do you handle a difficult employee.   1 Answer
    • When will you be available and the next steps will be...   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Spherion (Columbia, SC) in August 2016.

Interview

This has been the worst experience with a staffing agency that I have ever had. The same day I applied, I received an email to participate in an open interview the next morning. The experience was more like a cattle herd, than a legitimate work opportunity. There were roughly 10 of us ranging from construction workers to business professionals. Spherion keeps the doors locked during business hours which was alarming to me. Who is coming by their office that they feel the need to keep the doors locked. One of the interviewees asked to use the bathroom when we arrived and the interviewer told him they "don't have public bathrooms." The man was there for an interview, he did not wander in off the street.

We were brought into a small room to complete applications and then each person had to stand up and give an elevator pitch to the whole group. After that, the interviewer went into the hallway to pick through the applications and select who she was going to interview that day, and who would be getting call backs. It was awful and uncomfortable. I left before the interviewer came back to select people for interviews. I don't think I was taken seriously as a job candidate, and I don't understand how you can come to any serious conclusions about a person's qualifications when you're comparing business professionals to construction workers.

On Site Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spherion (San Antonio, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

I met with the director of operations initially over the phone, and then met with the Franchise owner in person. It was an average interview and was not horribly stressful. All the managers were nice and easy to talk to.