Spherion Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.1

18 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

Application

I interviewed at Spherion (Frederick, MD) in September 2017.

Interview

This 'interview' was one of the most misleading and unprofessional experiences of my career. It also smelt of a fishing scheme for extremely detailed personal information.

I am a mid-level career minded professional that specializes in (amongst other skills) process analysis, development, improvement, etc. A logical next step for someone with my background would be along the lines of senior consultant, regional or national manager of something, etc...

The experience begins with an email that reads; "We have received your resume and attempted to reach you by phone. We would like to schedule an interview with you in our office!!" I reply with a request for more (or any) information about the role they want me for. Unfortunately, I was too busy (working a 60hr week 200 miles from home before a holiday weekend) to note that my question hadn’t been answered in the reply. Instead, I allowed them to set a date and time figuring I would research the company more as soon as I was able. After some due diligence, I learned it was a staffing agency and almost canceled the interview. Though; I noted some direct hire roles on their website and thought, maybe they have something unlisted that they want to talk with me about, so I kept the date on my calendar.

Fast forward to the ‘interview’. I arrive 15 minutes early in a suit and tie, am handed a clipboard then asked to sit in a room full of (mostly) plain clothed people while I complete a couple forms. My confusion multiplied when I noticed the only other person in the room dressed for a job interview looked as confused as felt. Upon completion of the forms, several of us (including the other well-dressed person) were directed to a room to watch a video about working safely around heavy machinery and hazardous chemicals. I pulled aside the woman who herded us into the room and asked for an explanation before I spent any more of my time there. After clarifying the type of professional work I am in search of; she explained that they often have direct hire management roles to fill, and their ‘direct hire manager’ would eventually require me to watch this video anyway, so I submitted and took a seat. While in the room watching the short film for people that can’t be trusted to read warning labels, I got to chatting with the other well-dressed person whom I discovered was also thoroughly confused.

After the video, we were ushered back to the waiting area. Subconsciously; I was anticipating the swift jab of a blow dart then waking up in a labor camp, but it never came. I waited for an additional 10 minutes while I considered excusing myself politely and explaining the misunderstanding. But, because we were approaching two hours of wasted time, I decided to stick around for the rest of the show out of sheer curiosity.

After the additional wait, I was asked to complete some forms they had just emailed me… on their computer. ‘That’s weird’; I thought, as I sat down at a workstation and logged in to my google account. Upon retrieving and opening the forms I realized they were for on-boarding! They wanted detailed personal information including social security, bank account numbers (for direct deposit), tax details, and an I9. I STILL HADN’T BEEN INTERVIEWED, RECEIVED AN OFFER, OR ACCEPTED A JOB! I stood up and got the attention of the person who instructed me to complete these forms, then explained my bewilderment up to that point. I even pointed out the little statement at the top of every I9 form that instructs NOT to complete it before accepting a job offer. She appeared frustrated, told me to forget the forms then; in one motion, huffed and spun on her heal before sitting back down at hear desk.

I logged myself completely off of their computer and browser then sat back down and waited until a different woman approached and asked me to take the seat next to her (very long) desk. As we spoke, I expressed some of my confusion, and again, explained the type of work I do. She tapped on her keyboard a bit as she asked a few questions that were difficult to hear because of the atmosphere and her extra-long desk that forced me to sit several feet away. After a couple misunderstandings due to the noise and distance; she stopped tapping on her keyboard, turned around and said in a voice you would use to talk to a child “I usually tell people to do their research on companies before coming in for an interview” (Really!). She then explained that they did not have any positions in my industry that would be fitting for someone “at my level”. She stuck her nose up and hand out to shake, then I walked out of the office wondering; if anyone had actually read my resume, why would they have wasted so much of their own time.

Up to that point I had been laughing internally about the whole thing. I hadn’t decided to write this until the young woman with a superiority complex spoke to me as if she was explaining the fundamentals of gravity to a child.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions they should have already known... If anyone had done their job(s) prior to the interview.   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Spherion (Charleston, SC) in September 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, in-person interview and then job shadow. Waited for a skills test that I never received after several attempts to get a hold off the manager, which just kept avoiding calls, emails, and voicemails after she told me that they wanted to move forward with me. Very bad business practice for people who are interested in working there. If they do this to their employees, then I don’t want to know what they do with their contractors.

Premier Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Spherion (Las Vegas, NV) in October 2015.

Interview

This was the originally company that called me in regards to Asurion. I answered all the same questions. I set up an interview and then my mom was hospitalized. I gave Spherion ample notice (one day) and they never contacted me again. Apparently, no one can have a family emergency.

No Particular Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Spherion (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2015.

Interview

The recruiter I spoke to was very attentive to my needs and reviewed all possible job opportunities. While there was nothing available at the time, he reconized my abilities and knows of an employer who may fit my needs in the future.

Interview Questions

• He mainly went over my resume and asked why I left my previous jobs. He asked what type of work I was looking for. Asked me questions regarding my particular skills and any education I have received.   Answer Question

Temp-to-hire Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elkhart, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Spherion (Elkhart, IN) in July 2015.

Interview

The pre-interview work was simple and easy, however the interview was a little more aggravating. As soon as it was noted that I needed to have the Sabbath Day off, I was automatically dismissed. She quickly became passive-aggressive and refused to even finish the interview, because of my religious belief limitations. All I needed was 1 day off per week, but she refused to even attempt to accommodate that. This is what the government refers to as "religious discrimination in the workplace", and I'll be contacting the EEOC in regards to this. Apparently only atheists can work for this company.

Interview Questions

• "Can you pass a drug screen?"   1 Answer

Packer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johnstown, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spherion (Johnstown, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

First, it was basically just questions about my availability and what kind of work I wanted. Things like that. I signed some paperwork.Second, I went into another room and filled out paperwork. Then they asked me about some of the stuff on the paperwork I did. Then I went back into the other room and did a short skills test for light industrial, which included math, shapes, safety, etc. There was one another candidate there. We were told about Spherion policies and watched a video about Spherion employment and safety policies.

Interview Questions

• Can you lift up to 50 pounds?   1 Answer

Temp/Accounting Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spherion.

Interview

Called in to their office in down town Jax. Was asked for ID, references, and some other paperwork before the interview. Then, I actually met with the recruiter who called me in. Basic questions, nothing hard. The interview seemed to only last 10 minutes. 2 weeks later no follow up and no answer to follow up emails. Very unprofessional. I would not recommend.

Material Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waverly, IA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Spherion (Waverly, IA) in September 2012.

Interview

Very professional and informative from job duties to safety..
    .I was dressed appropriately, attentive and straight to the point. I used my industrial experience to answer scenario questions as well as what to do questions..

Interview Questions

• What do you know about this company? Why do you want to work here? Where do you see yourself in the next five years?   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Spherion (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2011.

Interview

Position was for Fort Lauderdale office. Extensive probing questions about past 3 positions,skill set and what salary I needed. They needed some-one with more administrative experience than I had and was candid with the Recruiter. He was so amicable and professional I sent him 3 leads. Will keep in touch with hi for future opportunities.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any payroll experience, or experience using People Soft?   1 Answer
    • What types of positions would you consider since your not a fit for this one?   1 Answer

Creative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spherion (Austin, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

Played phone tag with remote office for a week and a half, finally got a face-to-face interview locally. Was extended a job offer, only to have it revoked less than three hours later, with no explanation. This was an exceptionally frustrating, misleading and disappointing experience. Once the process was over, it was as if I never existed; I received no further response from either office.

Interview Questions

• How would you compensate for not having direct experience in the field in which this position takes place?   1 Answer