Spiceworks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Spiceworks Interview Questions

Interviews at Spiceworks

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Spiceworks (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very short for me. I must say that the email that I received to let me know that I was not selected was very polite, and of course said that they would keep me in mind.

Interview Questions

• Are you flexible in terms of hours and travel   1 Answer

Market Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Spiceworks (Austin, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

I applied online over the weekend and received a phone call from a recruiter on Monday. The process moved very quickly. I was located from out of town, but by Thursday I had spoken on the phone to the recruiter, the hiring manager, and one person on the team. An hour after I finished the last interview, the recruiter called me to inform me that they wanted to fly me out to Austin the following Friday.

I spoke with nine people during my visit. It was pretty exhausting, but everybody was really nice and understood how grueling the process is. Nobody threw me any difficult curveballs, they really just wanted to get to know you and understand your background/qualifications. It seemed more like a conversation than an actual interview.

I was extended an offer the next Tuesday.

Interview Questions

• Prepare to answer questions about mistakes or failures and how you dealt/learned from them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Little room for negotiation, I was able to get a slightly better package than I was offered.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Spiceworks.

Interview

I submitted an application online and was asked for a phone interview in a few days' time. I had two phone interviews - one with HR and another with the hiring manager - as well as a case study. Overall, they were very friendly people who were trying to fill a new role with ambiguous expectations. All of their interview questions helped me to get a really good idea of their expectations for the role. They were very open about their shortcomings (really just for reasons of inexperience for such a new role), which was great.

Ultimately I wasn't offered the position because, so they say, my experience wasn't quite on point with what they were looking for. However, I had an overall positive experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Spiceworks (Austin, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

1st interview was good, informative, went well.
    2nd interview started well and then there was a disconnect. It seemed to be a miscommunication between 1st interviewer and manager of hiring position, about job details. Very odd. Was confused about position duties and what the manager wanted.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve/work on/create a solution to meet XYZ goal.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Interview

There is typically a phone interview first followed by 2-3 rounds of interviews of at least 4 people each. The first (and second if there is one) is mostly to get a feel for your skillset, and if you're great fit to the team. The last round is usually the higher-ups, including the CEO, to see if you're a great cultural fit for the company. Culture is HIGHLY valued here!

Interview Questions

• One of the things we most value is ownership, so one of the questions you may get is how you've ever messed up. We don't necessarily care what the problem was so much as you owning up to it and taking responsibility.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spiceworks (Austin, TX) in January 2012.

Interview

Talked with a variety of personnel across the different aspects of the company including the co-founders.

UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spiceworks (Austin, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

I should preface this by saying that clearly this position wasn't a fit for me. If you're a mid-to-senior-level front end developer who wants to work with the latest technology, look elsewhere. There are plenty of places hiring. If you're just starting out in your career and know a decent amount of JavaScript and don't mind working with Ember, then I think you'd find a happy home here. Spiceworks seems like a great company overall, and everybody I talked to was very nice. Forgive my snark.

- - -

After the usual phone screening process, I was given a very simple UI test. The recruiter stressed that there was no time limit, and I should take as long as I need, so I was expecting something pretty complex. It wasn't. Took me about 2 hours to complete.

It involved HTML, CSS, and (optionally) jQuery and underscore.js. The task was to match the layout of the provided mockups and make sure you can add / remove string data and have the UI update to match. Use underscore templates and standard jQuery event binding. There were also some written questions asking you what you thought about it and how you'd improve it if it were a real web app.

The in-person interview consisted of two 1:1 sessions, each with a Sr. UI Developer from the team. Each was scheduled for 45 minutes, so I repeated my introduction spiel a couple of times before they got to whiteboarding questions.

Developer A drew a fairly simple monthly calendar layout on the board (much like OS X's Calendar app, with the sidebar), then asked for the HTML and CSS to get that layout. This was a pretty lengthy layout to write out by hand, so I just explained myself as I went and he stopped me about halfway through to ask me about how I'd go about showing / hiding events for each day. Pretty standard event binding / AJAX stuff.

Developer B was the "JavaScript" guy. After the usual JavaScript gotcha questions and some old interview tropes, he asked me to solve a question about substrings, which I haven't worked with in years. Afterwards, I asked him how much of his job involved substring manipulation, and he confessed that he's only had to do it a couple of times in his career.

Developer B gave me some time at the end so that I could ask questions. After learning that a majority of the job would just be implementing a UI library written by Developer B, I didn't have anything else to ask. I made nice with their recruiter on the way out, then went home and emailed my (external) recruiter to let her know I was no longer interested.

Interview Questions

• Q: Our customers want to message each other using secret codes. They will provide us a list of "secret words." In each of their messages, we will reverse those words.   1 Answer
    • Q: Explain inheritance in JavaScript   1 Answer
    • Q: When you type in a URL in the address bar and press "enter", what happens?   1 Answer
    • Q: What gets you out of bed in the morning?   1 Answer

UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Spiceworks (Austin, TX).

Interview

I submitted online and heard back from the rep who was very friendly and we got along very well on the phone. They told me all about the company and vision so I was very excited to submit to the position. I'm from out of town looking to relocate so I had that working against me but the rep assured me I'd get a fair fight. She forwarded my info onto the team and I heard back a few days later with a code sample challenge to do and submit. The sample required me to only use UnderscoreJS which isn't a good library to use for the code sample. I wrote back asking if I could use AngularJS instead which is the industry leader and perfect library to use for the sample. They said no so it took me a week to do because I had to learn it from scratch. It was very time consuming but I got done. Heard back, they said no, without feedback and relisted the job I know I'm perfect for.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Spiceworks in October 2018.

Interview

Started with a phone screen. Went well and was asked to come in for an in person “panel” interview to pitch the solution to a group. Included a few mangers, and another Account exec. I was told I did very well and I would be contacted within the next week or two as to whether or not they were going to move forward with an offer. More than two months has gone by with no update. I to appear to have been ghosted, which is a bummer because I was really looking forward to working here.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Spiceworks (Austin, TX) in January 2010.

Interview

I met with a total of 13 people during the 3 face-to-face interviews I had. In addition I had a phone screen and a mock sales presentation where I was given a media kit and a budget and had to present to sales leadership.

Everyone was very friendly and it was not high pressure but it was a long process that requires a lot of time off of your current job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you will fit in with our culture?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None.