Spiceworks UI Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Spiceworks UI Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Spiceworks

UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spiceworks (Austin, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

I should preface this by saying that clearly this position wasn't a fit for me. If you're a mid-to-senior-level front end developer who wants to work with the latest technology, look elsewhere. There are plenty of places hiring. If you're just starting out in your career and know a decent amount of JavaScript and don't mind working with Ember, then I think you'd find a happy home here. Spiceworks seems like a great company overall, and everybody I talked to was very nice. Forgive my snark.

- - -

After the usual phone screening process, I was given a very simple UI test. The recruiter stressed that there was no time limit, and I should take as long as I need, so I was expecting something pretty complex. It wasn't. Took me about 2 hours to complete.

It involved HTML, CSS, and (optionally) jQuery and underscore.js. The task was to match the layout of the provided mockups and make sure you can add / remove string data and have the UI update to match. Use underscore templates and standard jQuery event binding. There were also some written questions asking you what you thought about it and how you'd improve it if it were a real web app.

The in-person interview consisted of two 1:1 sessions, each with a Sr. UI Developer from the team. Each was scheduled for 45 minutes, so I repeated my introduction spiel a couple of times before they got to whiteboarding questions.

Developer A drew a fairly simple monthly calendar layout on the board (much like OS X's Calendar app, with the sidebar), then asked for the HTML and CSS to get that layout. This was a pretty lengthy layout to write out by hand, so I just explained myself as I went and he stopped me about halfway through to ask me about how I'd go about showing / hiding events for each day. Pretty standard event binding / AJAX stuff.

Developer B was the "JavaScript" guy. After the usual JavaScript gotcha questions and some old interview tropes, he asked me to solve a question about substrings, which I haven't worked with in years. Afterwards, I asked him how much of his job involved substring manipulation, and he confessed that he's only had to do it a couple of times in his career.

Developer B gave me some time at the end so that I could ask questions. After learning that a majority of the job would just be implementing a UI library written by Developer B, I didn't have anything else to ask. I made nice with their recruiter on the way out, then went home and emailed my (external) recruiter to let her know I was no longer interested.

Interview Questions

• Q: Our customers want to message each other using secret codes. They will provide us a list of "secret words." In each of their messages, we will reverse those words.   1 Answer
  • Q: Explain inheritance in JavaScript   1 Answer
  • Q: When you type in a URL in the address bar and press "enter", what happens?   1 Answer
  • Q: What gets you out of bed in the morning?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Spiceworks

UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Spiceworks (Austin, TX).

Interview

I submitted online and heard back from the rep who was very friendly and we got along very well on the phone. They told me all about the company and vision so I was very excited to submit to the position. I'm from out of town looking to relocate so I had that working against me but the rep assured me I'd get a fair fight. She forwarded my info onto the team and I heard back a few days later with a code sample challenge to do and submit. The sample required me to only use UnderscoreJS which isn't a good library to use for the code sample. I wrote back asking if I could use AngularJS instead which is the industry leader and perfect library to use for the sample. They said no so it took me a week to do because I had to learn it from scratch. It was very time consuming but I got done. Heard back, they said no, without feedback and relisted the job I know I'm perfect for.

Interview Questions