Splunk Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Splunk Interview Questions

Updated Sep 19, 2017

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Splunk (Melbourne (Australia)) in December 2016.

Interview

The whole process took 9 weeks. Agency interview followed by 2 Skype interviews. One with HR in Singapore the other with the Sales Manager in Hong Kong. Was told both went really well. Next Skype interview was to present a webs sales pitch with slides for 15 minutes followed by a 15 minute Q & A session. Was informed it was one of the best they had seen from the current selection group.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk.

Interview

I initially heard about the position from a former colleague, and the company piqued my interest due to its unique position in the marketplace. I applied online for two positions and was contacted the following week by the recruiter.

The first interview consisted of a phone screen by the recruiter to gauge my interest. It was purely conversational and I enjoyed speaking transparently about company culture, benefits, and compensation.

The second phone interview was with a team lead. This conversation was much more awkward as it seemed the interviewer was distracted and/or stressed. I had the chance to ask a few questions, but the answers seemed pretty generic.

The third phone interview was with the hiring manager. This involved more in-depth behavioral questions and about my current experience.

The third phone interview was with the Director of CRM. I really enjoyed this conversation as we had shared some previous experience together. This conversation gave great insight into the company's vision and culture.

After the initial phone interviews, I was brought onsite for meetings with the team. The onsite interview consisted of meeting six people of the team (team-members, hiring manager, SR Director, architect). The onsite meetings gave me mixed feelings. Some conversations were great and natural, but others were passive-aggressive. At one point, a team-member openly ridiculed my lack of experience for the role.

After the onsite interview, I felt very confident that I had concluded the interview process, but the hiring manager contacted me to notify me that I had a week to prepare a presentation on key concepts to the team. This was a surprise to me, but I wanted to demonstrate my passion/interest so I spent the weekend preparing a presentation. After the presentation, I heard feedback that everything went well and that I should be expecting to hear back soon.

However, this was not the case. Over the span of the next two weeks, I had three more phone interviews! By then, I was mentally exhausted and felt that the process was disorganized - not a good impression for what was really happening behind the scenes.

After 6-7 weeks and 11 interviews later, I finally received the offer, but declined due to various reasons.

Interview Questions

• Describe the differences between CRM and ERP. What are the main financial processes in an ERP system?   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Interview

I interviewed onsite for 2.5 hours with all of the managers and it was nice to see that they all had different styles, but they were all on the same page when it came to expectations. If you have tech sales experience and a basic understanding of what Splunk does, you should feel comfortable with the interview.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Series of interviews over two months, including two phone and three in-person interviews, with individuals and teams. They were well-prepared interviewers, asking a wide range of questions to learn more about my specific skills, work style, sense of urgency, personality, work ethic, and how I manage stress and deadlines.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an instance where you made a mistake and your reaction/action taken.   1 Answer

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

6 interviews, presentation, whiteboard, demo spread onto future peers, managers.
    HR and the hiring process is well thought out and you will get everything you need while you are progressing through the process.

Interview Questions

• Generic questions around IT Ops and Security   1 Answer

Negotiation

Straight forward - if you know what you want ask for it.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

A friend referred me to Splunk recently. Almost immediately, the recruiter contacted me and requested to schedule an onsite for as early as two days later. I was impressed at how quickly they were able to put me through to an onsite, but didn't quite work with my schedule since it was around the holidays. I came in just after the new year for an onsite, and had a relatively standard one on one tech interview with two interviews, lunch, then two more interviews. They tested both coding and design, and I got to talk to the hiring manager during lunchtime and ask questions about what it's like to work there. All the interviewers were really nice during the interview and the recruiter was quite understanding when it came to my timeline for the offer.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Splunk (London, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

very well organised process. was given a clear brief on what to present during the final stages of the interview process. met with different departments which gave me a good view of the culture of the company. i had to do a presentation which i prepared heavily for in advance to ensure i nailed it. there were tech issues - but overcame those and still completed within the time allocated.

Interview Questions

• present about what drives me   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Splunk in October 2016.

Interview

I met a recruiter at a job fair and talked with them for a few minutes and handed off my resume. I got an email a few weeks later asking for an interview within the week. The interview was an over the phone interview with a shared collabedit screen. I only interviewed with one person.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a process and a thread?
      What is malloc/new used for?
      In a function call, where are arguments and local variables stored in memory/registers?
      What is the difference between pointers and registers in C++?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (Berkeley, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I went to my University's career fair, and talked for a relatively long time (~15 minutes) with a Senior Engineer. About 3 weeks later, I got a call from Splunk detailing an interview date and time. They were flexible with the interview time.

The interview was over phone. There was muddled sound and I found it difficult to understand the interviewer. The interviewer gave questions over a code-sharing website. Awkward silences over the phone made it difficult to concentrate on the questions; when combined with the fact that this was my first interview of the year, I wasn't able to answer many questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions on semaphores and mutexes. Questions on parsing non-punctuated strings into valid IPs.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I was met at front desk by coordinator, and then showed around the office (was offered water, tea, coffee). I then had four half-hour interviews with different engineers. The first interview covered some systems knowledge questions, a web page design, and a simpler coding question. The second interview involved another coding question on the simpler side, and discussion about the type of project that I would like to work on. The third and fourth interviews, were a single coding question of above average difficulty.