Splunk Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Splunk Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Splunk (Melbourne (Australia)) in December 2016.

Interview

The whole process took 9 weeks. Agency interview followed by 2 Skype interviews. One with HR in Singapore the other with the Sales Manager in Hong Kong. Was told both went really well. Next Skype interview was to present a webs sales pitch with slides for 15 minutes followed by a 15 minute Q & A session. Was informed it was one of the best they had seen from the current selection group.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk.

Interview

I initially heard about the position from a former colleague, and the company piqued my interest due to its unique position in the marketplace. I applied online for two positions and was contacted the following week by the recruiter.

The first interview consisted of a phone screen by the recruiter to gauge my interest. It was purely conversational and I enjoyed speaking transparently about company culture, benefits, and compensation.

The second phone interview was with a team lead. This conversation was much more awkward as it seemed the interviewer was distracted and/or stressed. I had the chance to ask a few questions, but the answers seemed pretty generic.

The third phone interview was with the hiring manager. This involved more in-depth behavioral questions and about my current experience.

The third phone interview was with the Director of CRM. I really enjoyed this conversation as we had shared some previous experience together. This conversation gave great insight into the company's vision and culture.

After the initial phone interviews, I was brought onsite for meetings with the team. The onsite interview consisted of meeting six people of the team (team-members, hiring manager, SR Director, architect). The onsite meetings gave me mixed feelings. Some conversations were great and natural, but others were passive-aggressive. At one point, a team-member openly ridiculed my lack of experience for the role.

After the onsite interview, I felt very confident that I had concluded the interview process, but the hiring manager contacted me to notify me that I had a week to prepare a presentation on key concepts to the team. This was a surprise to me, but I wanted to demonstrate my passion/interest so I spent the weekend preparing a presentation. After the presentation, I heard feedback that everything went well and that I should be expecting to hear back soon.

However, this was not the case. Over the span of the next two weeks, I had three more phone interviews! By then, I was mentally exhausted and felt that the process was disorganized - not a good impression for what was really happening behind the scenes.

After 6-7 weeks and 11 interviews later, I finally received the offer, but declined due to various reasons.

Interview Questions

• Describe the differences between CRM and ERP. What are the main financial processes in an ERP system?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Splunk in October 2016.

Interview

I met a recruiter at a job fair and talked with them for a few minutes and handed off my resume. I got an email a few weeks later asking for an interview within the week. The interview was an over the phone interview with a shared collabedit screen. I only interviewed with one person.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a process and a thread?
      What is malloc/new used for?
      In a function call, where are arguments and local variables stored in memory/registers?
      What is the difference between pointers and registers in C++?
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (Berkeley, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I went to my University's career fair, and talked for a relatively long time (~15 minutes) with a Senior Engineer. About 3 weeks later, I got a call from Splunk detailing an interview date and time. They were flexible with the interview time.

The interview was over phone. There was muddled sound and I found it difficult to understand the interviewer. The interviewer gave questions over a code-sharing website. Awkward silences over the phone made it difficult to concentrate on the questions; when combined with the fact that this was my first interview of the year, I wasn't able to answer many questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions on semaphores and mutexes. Questions on parsing non-punctuated strings into valid IPs.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I was met at front desk by coordinator, and then showed around the office (was offered water, tea, coffee). I then had four half-hour interviews with different engineers. The first interview covered some systems knowledge questions, a web page design, and a simpler coding question. The second interview involved another coding question on the simpler side, and discussion about the type of project that I would like to work on. The third and fourth interviews, were a single coding question of above average difficulty.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I had a phone conversation with the recruiter once my application was selected for review by the hiring manager. I then had a phone conversation with the hiring manager, where we discussed my experience, and the needs for the business. About one week later, I met one-on-one with a series of technical and administrative stakeholders for the product in question.

Interview Questions

• What attracted you to Splunk, and made you want to apply for this position?   Answer Question
    • What are your career goals, and how do you think you can achieve those at Spunk?   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online and the recruiter reached out to me and was very responsive throughout the hiring process. Had tech screen first. Then went onsite. Team profile is very impressive and they have a mix of veterans and young talent.

Got a very competitive offer but at the moment decided to pursue another opportunity.

Security Operations, Senior Compliance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Dynamic in style. Preserving the culture is imperative to the continued success of the company, so they take a methodical approach in evaluating each candidate carefully. There was a phone screen with the hiring manager and two onsite visit with the team and other stakeholders. Cheap and free parking is available which was a first for me having had several interviews in the city.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you were responsible for something and made a mistake.   1 Answer

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Onsite interview included in-depth technical discussions, It would have been better to be hold technical interviews prior to candidate arriving on-site for full day of staff interviews. Questions were appropriate for new hire right out of college.

Software Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very well organized. I applied online and got a call from the recruiter a couple of weeks later. He told me if I was still interested, he would send out a coding test. I had 2 days to complete it. It was an interesting socket programming test. After about a week, he asked me to schedule my onsite interviews. They flew me to the Bay Area. I had 5 technical interviews (1 with the Director, 1 with the Architect and 3 with senior SEs) and lunch was provided. Each of them focused on 5 different areas. I was asked the typical coding problems in 4 rounds. The Director asked me a couple of open ended Design questions and focused about 10 minutes on my people skills. Other questions were mainly based on my Big Data skills and past experience.
    I heard back from the recruiter within 2 weeks (there was a break for Thanksgiving) and the offer was pretty generous.
    The overall experience was great.