Splunk Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Splunk Interview Questions

Updated Feb 15, 2017

Splunk Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Good Part: Pretty standard process. Got a message from recruiter on LinkedIn, spoke with her, then 1hr phone interview was scheduled. Got response from recruiter within 2 days and onsite interview was scheduled. Onsite interview was for 3.5 hrs that involved 3 algorithmic and design interviews of 45 mins each, had a chat with DOE, senior HR, one other guy as well. All in all, it was a good experience…

Interview Questions

• describe you previous role   1 Answer

Negotiation

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Onsite interview included in-depth technical discussions, It would have been better to be hold technical interviews prior to candidate arriving on-site for full day of staff interviews. Questions were appropriate for new hire right out of college.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Splunk in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online with an internal employee referral. Heard back from a recruiter, but that's where the good ended.

There were multiple significant unprofessional communication issues WRT to scheduling the tech screening. Then an engineer called 15 minutes late to tell me that they needed to reschedule because the other interviewing engineer wasn't in the office that day for what I was originally told was a 1:1 interview. This was at 3 PM. No excuses, but not the end of the world.

A different engineer calls back at the rescheduled day/time for me to find out that it has been passed off to him "5 minutes ago" and it is now back to a 1:1 interview. He conducts the technical screen and tells me 3 times during the 45 minutes that he is coding his own work while watching me on his other monitor as excuses for why he keeps making rookie mistakes in reading my code. Got an optimal solution done with time to spare. He even commented that I did a great job communicating my solution and building it.

I waited 2 weeks, heard nothing back, so I followed up via email. Nothing. At 3 weeks, I followed up via their online portal. Nothing. At 4 weeks, I followed up via LinkedIn. Nothing. At 5 weeks, I followed up with my friend in the company, who tells me that HR told him that they never got feedback from the engineer. They only did this because he physically walked down to HR to ask about it after they didn't respond to his emails either, which went to an HR manager no less.

At this point, I've decided not to continue with their terrible process regardless, but I finally got a response. After all that, they had the nerve to send me a form email from a no-reply address that there was a "stronger candidate" for the position. How can there be a stronger candidate if they never got feedback from the engineer?

tl;dr - Horrible HR department, doesn't even respect their own employees. Lied to me and never responded over and over again. Seriously unprofessional. I knew from the beginning this was going bad but kept going because my friend in the company said it was great. Don't waste your time.

Interview Questions

• Combine two sets of sorted ranges into a unique set of non-overlapping ranges, returning an array of duplicates.   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

First round was over the phone. It involved typical behavioral questions at first. The second half was technical questions about java. Including writing a program over the phone. Second round was a coding assignment

Corporate Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Everything was very professional up to my onsite interview. Took a half day off work for the interview, hiring manager was very professional. Post-interview, nothing, not even an email from the HR person--even after a follow up email. While it appears Splunk is a great place this kind of thing is just a lack of common courtesy. I am a big boy and take rejection. This accounts for the thumbs down.

Interview Questions

• "It is really important that people fit in here." Not sure it was a question or just a statement about me.   1 Answer

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Splunk in April 2016.

Interview

First round was 1 and half hour long skype interview. They asked basic SQL questions, experience in sales field. Interviewer was nice, process was easy. Immediately he scheduled next 2 rounds which took place after 2 days.

In the afternoon, 2nd round took place and interviewer asked about splunk products and some questions when was the time you had difficulty with your team member and how did you handle it etc questions.

In evening, 3rd round - HR round, she simply asked when are you available to start work, CGPA etc.

However, my 2nd round and 3rd round, both were scheduled as skype interview for 45 min. around but they simply called and spoke for hardly 15-20 min. each. So, it was confusing.

I dint get any update for next 10 days. Then, I dropped an email, after one week, then my status on portal changed to not selected.

Interview Questions

• when was the time you had difficulty with your team member and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Splunk.

Interview

Had a technical phone interview which was medium LeetCode type questions.

This was followed up by an on-site set of six interviews and lunch which I felt went well outside of one where the interviewer had a thick accent and was difficult to communicate effectively with. Wide range of topics from OOP to algorithms to other concepts.

I never received an email after my on-site.

Overall, they're a bit sloppy but seems like a decent company to work for.

Platform Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Splunk.

Interview

A manager calls me and then asks me about my experience with Python. I point out I have no experience with Python and my resume says so. In disbelief, he rants about why I've never used Python in depth before.

Then he asks me a few easy Java questions that I can answer.

When asked about the culture, he spends 5 minutes talking about some rockstar I don't really care about.

He says the next step is a coding assessment and they work really hard there. He says I can even schedule it at 6am on a Sunday. After that, I got the sense that I didn't want to work for this guy. I declined to move forward in the process.

Interview Questions

• If you don't put public or private in front of a variable in Java, what is its accessibility?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I had two phone interviews with one manager and one software engineer. For some reason, both interviews were like the one you get at the very beginning: you get a coding question you work on while they are watching, "why do you want to work for Splunk" etc. etc.
    For some reason they chose to do the whole process in one week. Meaning, they emailed me on Tuesday and by next Monday they already made their decision.

Now, what made this experience negative is that the second interview gave me the feeling that the guy on the other end did not care. Each time I asked a question during coding, I had to repeat because I felt like he wasn't even looking (his microphone was muted too). In fact, the whole second interview only lasted 20 minutes because he seemed to be in a hurry.

QA Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online and and heard back the next morning for a phone interview. The hiring manager told me about the company and asked why I was interested. Next day, I was scheduled for an onsite interview the following week. The interview consisted of talking about my resume, some test questions, technical questions and behavioral. Tech questions were fair. Interviewers were kind and helpful. They really wanted to make this experience a learning experience!