Splunk Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Splunk Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Splunk

2.8

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Splunk in June 2013.

Interview

Had 4 rounds of Interview, although it was supposed to be a 6 round interview. Types of questions were mostly on Design, How do you design a product and something like that, which went for more than 1 hour. Then I had the 2nd round which was on the projects that I have worked on, kept digging deeper into the projects. The 3rd round was mostly on Web Technologies, on CSS and Java scripts..4th round was on Python and Django. And finally the HR personal told me that they are unable to proceed further.

Interview Questions

• How do you design market place for an elevator? I couldnt understand what exactly that means, I kept asking for more inputs but all the time it was the same question, there are elevators in a building, how do you design apps for those elevators, how does the developers upload them to the market place...I couldnt answer this question, and this was the first question   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Splunk

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Splunk in July 2014.

Interview

Contacted on LinkedIn.. Process was smooth..But they ask junior engineer to take initial rounds.
    Only 1 phone coding interview. I have close to 12.5 years experience. The interviewer was junior software engineer.
    These juniors do not understand the big picture OR don't know what to ask..They just ask some coding program which they have done during college days and they judge people with great experience on that. I was initially told there will be 2 interviews and after one interview another junior guy said they were not going ahead.. I was laughing and felt good that I did not have work with such people.. But Splunk looses good people who want to work for company..
    Actually I solved the programming interview questions in 2 different ways..told him that I have made some assumptions to keep it simple..I can make it complex if required.
    He seemed to be not happy :)

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions...Standard question - How to check if 2 strings are anagrams of each other.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Splunk in August 2015.

Interview

Lot of back and forth for phone interview. Had to reschedule due to release issue on Splunk Side. Phone interview was for 45 mins. Person who took my interview was very experienced. Asked questions specific to my skill set (Front End)

Interview Questions

• AngularJS questions 1. What is Scope 2. What is diff between Service and Factory 3. What are commonly used directives

General JS 1. What are various HTTP methods you are aware of 2. What is Closure 3. .call and .apply

CSS 1. What CSS3 features do you use in your project 2. What does > and + sign in CSS selectors

Linux Question 1. I want to find out all files in which there is phone number (I have more then 500k files in folder / sub folder / ... 2. Have you ever installed software or package using command line   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in August 2019.

Interview

So I am writing a review specifically for Splunk after interviewing numerous other places because of a very strange process that begun from usual phone screen, to onsite rounds, to a offer extended and then taking it back after almost 2 weeks of negotiations over the phone and emails to the recruiter. My intention is not to tarnish the company's image but only to make people aware that such things may happen too. It is my very first experience in 9 years of working history.

The phone screen from the HM mostly consisted of behavioral style questions that is synonymous with Amazon as well.

After passing that I was invited onsite and had 5 scheduled interviews. Those were mostly standard with the usuals of Problem Solving, behavioral and system design questions. The only exceptions being one of the interviewer persisted that I write code in C++ despite of me clarifying not comfortable doing so. The other exception was a surprise last round(6th round) by the HM, which consisted of mostly behavioral type questions as well as a basic design approach question. This surprise round lasted more than an hour!

Now comes the strangest part: I am called by the recruiter and informed that the HM doesn't want to move ahead with me for the said P4(senior) role but would like to offer me a P3 instead as my performance was meeting the bar for a P3. I wasn't sure wether to move ahead but given the breadth of tech stack I would get to learn and also the fact that Splunk is doing fairly well, I decided to move forward with the process. The only catch here was that I wanted the HM to match my current base pay(at minimum) since I definitely did not want to take a dip in salary, given my operational financial liabilities in life. He agreed to it. Then starts the process of seeking approvals, where most of the folks in question approve it except the EVP and I finally get a call from recruiter that they are not going to extend the offer.

This is definitely not a pleasant experience for me or anybody for that matter. This should have never made past any verbal confirmation, if the result was to be anticipated as a no-go from approval committee. Specially taking 2 weeks to tell me this? Let me remind you that there was a constant pressure on me to give a verbal acceptance to the offer before they move forward and they wanted me to keep my honest word that I wouldn't turn down once they generate physical offer letter. I did all of this-- only to meet a deceitful end from their side. I'm very glad to not have discussed this with my current manager as I was almost planning to!

I hope my experience would help prospective Splunk applicants in dealing with this situation better!

PS: Don't be discouraged to apply, just keep this possibility in mind. All the best!

Interview Questions

Splunk Response

Sep 27, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We apologize for the lack of clarity you've experienced here. If you'd like to share additional details about your interview experience please email... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Splunk in June 2019.

Interview

Initial technical interview was setup by a recruiter reaching out to me. It was a 45 min interview via Zoom. It began on time and the interviewer asked me if I have anything more to say than whats on the resume. I told him about the current work I am doing and then we moved to the coding interview.

It was a LC Medium question. I hadnt seen it earlier so I walked the interviewer through my thinking and the approach. I started writing the code on CoderPad and when I tried to execute it, I had trouble running the code. I tried many times but I wasnt able to get it running. The issue was syntactical and the error messages werent intuitive enough for me to understand that it was syntax issue. Nor was the interviewer able to point it out. So at the end, the interviewer agreed the logic is right but also said its fine that the code didnt run. How do I know it was syntax error? I pasted the code as is in IntelliJ and found out the issue in seconds. I ran the same code after correcting the syntax on LC and it beat 98% of answers. So yeah, I messed up on syntax. Sorry but I am not sorry.

However, from here my experience dipped. They did not respond back with an update after almost 10 days of interview. I emailed them multiple times but no response. The least they can do is say that they are not moving forward or at least provide a time line for the same. But no, just ignore all the emails even though I sent it like 2-3 times. For me that is the extreme height of unprofessionalism.

First thank you for rejecting a candidate for getting the syntax wrong and second, thank you for showing that you dont care about your candidates time. If i can keep even one person away from this company, I will consider my job done here.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something interesting that you worked on   1 Answer

Splunk Response

Jul 22, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. The lack of follow-up you've experience here is inexcusable and we sincerely apologize. We're glad you brought this to our attention and would love to... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (London, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

Definitely not happy with the interview process at Splunk. The interview went well but there is lack of co-ordination. I had an initial phone interview followed by an on-site interview of 4 rounds. They didn't even respond to me after the onsite interview.
    It does look like the hiring manager has conducted a sham interview to gain experience.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk in February 2018.

Interview

It took them a long time to schedule the on-site interviews after asking me for availabilities. I needed to follow-up with the recruiter regularly to get it done.

When I arrived 5 minutes earlier to the interviews, they were not prepared at all, and it took them around 15 minutes to get it started.

The office doesn't seem diverse at all. All 5 people who interviewed me, just moved there from China.

Got an automated rejection email the next day.

Not a pleasant experience at all.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Splunk in August 2015.

Interview

Pretty much the worst interview process I've ever had. I applied online, and they came back within a few days asking for my availability for a phone interview. Things were looking ok up to here, but then out of nowhere they mistakenly send me someone else's job offer (?!?!?) In hindsight this is when I should have turned back. Two more weeks went past with complete silence from them -- how hard can it be to schedule a phone call? Then, again out of nowhere I get an e-mail really late night saying two phone interviews were "confirmed" both for next day, despite the fact I had explicitly asked for advance notice. I ended up taking a last minute day-off from my current job to attend. So, I wait for them to call me, first interview surprise surprise.. no call, no email excuse, nothing! I send an e-mail asking what happened, no reply. Time for second interview comes up, this time they call me about half an hour late for a 45min interview. I ask why the first interviewer didn't call me, but they say they didn't even know that happened. The first thing they tell me during the interview is that the job isn't what was in the job description. It's a "debugging" job investigating server issues, devops/IT not senior software engineering/programming as advertised (seriously?!?). Then the interviewer asked two simple questions and said they were going to forward me to a different position. Two more weeks pass with no reply.

Get your stuff together Splunk, you have a good product and interesting tech, but what is going on with your HR? Also a tip for you, make sure you don't put junior engineers to interview senior people.

Interview Questions

• Fibonacci and BFS traversal, the interview was junior and it took longer for him to understand my solution than for me to write it.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter. The process took a while because it was not easy to find time on our calendars. Overall I got three phone interviews. Two technical and the last one with the hiring manager. The technical interviews were about solving coding problems and dicussions about the solutions.