Sports Authority Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 19, 2017

1.9

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sports Authority (Englewood, CO).

Interview

Phone screen by recruiter, phone screen with hiring manager, in person interview, offer. They were desperate to get someone in to take on the load and unfortunately let that drive their process instead of properly conducting the interviews and allowing others besides the hiring manager and his boss to have input.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle conflict?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate on salary. They came in at the higher end of my range and $10k above my last FT role, so I saw no need. I did not need their health insurance. I asked for three weeks vacation instead of two, but they would not budge on that per company policy. I was unemployed at the time, needed the job and it looked like a great opportunity.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

I filled out application online and within 2 weeks I was called in for the easiest interview of my life. Keep In mind I have had 5 jobs before. They only asked a few questions such as my prior work history and why would I be a good fit to the company. One week after that I was hired. Sports authority does hire felons! I have multiple felony convictions and I was still hired.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

i applied online.
    i visited the store the next day.
    i wanted to know if there was an extra step i could do in order to get noticed.
    they said yes! an associate gave me a piece of paper to write my name:___ phone #:_____ & last 4 digits of my social so that the manager can access my application.
    the associate told me i'll get a call in a few days..
    a week passed and no call.
    so i went again and i was lucky enough to talk to the manager. i introduced myself and he knew who i was..he had reviewed my application and he was about to contact me for an interview!
    he asked me if it was okay if i did an interview right now..
    i said of course! the only issue is that i'm not professionally dressed for an interview, i apologize.
    he said not to worry about it, it was unexpected.
    his assistant interviewed me. it was sooo easy.
    she asked me my availability and where have i worked before? and if i would be good at signing customers up for the rewards card. i said yes! she said she will discuss it with the manager and they will call me back. i left the store and 10min later i got the call and they offered me a job!

Visual Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sports Authority (Englewood, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

30 minutes of "get to know you" and experience related dialogue. Met with 2 individuals and had an easy conversation regarding my previous employment, areas of expertise, and personal background. All the people I met from the front desks, through the interview were very kind and seem happy. It was mutually decided that this was not the right position for me.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the Sports Authority? Why are you the right person for the position? Where would you like to be in 5 years?   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sports Authority (Englewood, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

Very slow...applied for one job, but was interviewed for one I didn't apply for as well. I was mislead on the job duties, which ended up being way below my skill set. The interviewers were nice but they were very rushed. I did 2 interviews in 30 minutes.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sports Authority (Provo, UT) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online, didn't do anything else other than that. Was contacted by a manager at the store within a couple weeks and told to come in for an interview. Had an in-store interview followed by a phone interview with the head manager. After that, was hired within a week. Overall it wasn't too rigorous of a process.

Anonymous Employee in Ledgewood, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sports Authority (Ledgewood, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

We went over my experiences in past places of work and what my best qualities are. After a while of talking and questions we figured I'd be best suited for a sales position because I was oitgoinf. I was hired the same day I came in and was happy

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

After getting through a phone interview with HR, I was selected to be interviewed in person. I was scheduled for a two and a half hour interview with 5 different people at half hour intervals. One person was out, so that cut short my interview by a half an hour.
    I made it through the first two interviews fine, and it was a lot of telling my story over and over again to different people. I did make the faux pas of not brining in my resume, but the first two candidates were okay with that since they had the soft copy in a Word document.
    Then I got to a VP who picked apart my resume and my experience. She kept repeating a lot of the same questions that I had given her answers to previously as if my original answer was not satisfactory to her. A lot of the really nit picky questions were not relevant to the job I was applying for, and the interview went downhill fast as I struggled with the pressure to come up with examples for every little thing she was asking. I felt like I was being interrogated more than interviewed since she was very intimidating in her interview style.
    In the end, I ended up being questioned about my integrity as far as what I had on my resume and walked out of the door by the VP and my interview ended before I could see the last person.
    I feel as though the situation could have been handled in a better manner by the VP and her comments towards me could have been either framed in a different manner or not discussed in front of me. I know I could have handled it better on my end by being better prepared with all of those examples so they could roll off of my tongue much easier than they did in that interview.
    Needless to say, I will not apply for another job with this company again, however, it did give me some lessons on how to better prepare for my next interview with hopefully a less difficult person.
    Also, it gave me insight into what would be a good fit for me as far as field wise and culture wise. This company is a high pressure retail environment, and it would not have been a good fit for me in the end, so it was a lesson learned on many levels.

Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sports Authority (Lynnwood, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

The online interview process was very easy and within I think about two days I had been called back. Once they called a set up an interview right away. Turns out, it was a group interview but it was really easy and I didn't feel very nervous. For the most part it seemed very relaxed and the questions were geared like any other job interview. I would only recommend that you apply here if you do enjoy sports. For the work they ask you to do you need to be knowledgeable of sports, no matter what department they put you in. Also, in the interview they will ask about your sports experience and the more experience you have, the better the chance they will like you better than someone without experience.

Interview Questions

• Share one experience where you went above and beyond for a customer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They work really well in getting the hours you need. As a full time college student, they were still able to find me almost full time hours that fit around my school schedule and still gave me time to study.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sports Authority.

Interview

Desperate. The company can't pay quality people. They;'re desperate for desperate people. RM was completely unprofessional and pseudo-intimidating. (Read: Tried to come off as a tough guy, however he was really just protecting his own salary).

Negotiation

Suitable.