Spotify Product Designer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 6, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 10 of over 658 interviews

Employee Referral22%
Recruiter11%
HardAverageEasy

Spotify

Application

I interviewed at Spotify

Interview

You apply with your portfolio. Your application is reviewed by a member of HR. If positive, you are invited to the first interview with a member of HR. If positive, you are invited to the second interview with a design manager. You walk the design manager through one of the projects in your portfolio to explain your design process.

Interview Questions
  • How did you make sure that this was the right problem to solve?
    1 Answer
  • How did you make sure that this was the right solution to the problem?
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY) in Aug 2020

Interview

The interview process was overall positive. It took a little time but communication was constant which was great. First interview was the recruiter screen for about half an hour online where we spoke more about the role and expectations. Then I met with the hiring manager virtually where we spoke more about the team and technical aspect of the role. Next was the virtual on-sight which included a data analyst interview, a fika (coffee) chat with team members, a portfolio review, interviews with product and tech leads, and a design whiteboarding challenge. The last interviews were with the design manager and the head of the department

Interview Questions
  • How have you used data in your design process?
4 people found this interview helpful

What people are saying about Spotify

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Application

Interview

Got an email from the Recruiter and have a portfolio review for two of my projects, design challenge, and finally get a virtual interview with a hiring manager through Google hangout

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to work in Spotify
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm) in Jun 2020

Interview

The process was very straight forward and convenient. After handing in the application I got contacted by a recruiter. We had an initial conversation about the process. In the next step, I talked to people from the team. Other steps follow, but I dropped out.

Interview Questions
  • What are your strengths and weaknesses?
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY) in Mar 2020

Interview

The recruiter reached out and set up time to talk. I then spoke to a product designer, and they asked some questions and asked to look at my portfolio. Afterwards but I didn't hear from them for weeks. Then someone reached back out and had me interview again. After the last interview, I never heard from them, not even an automated email. In general, the people I spoke to were super cagey and rude. I would be hesitant to interview with them again because of this.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY) in Jan 2020

Interview

*Overall summary*: 30 min phone screening with HR, 1 hour behavioral interview with product design team via Google hangout, then a full day on-site interview consisting of a portfolio review, design challenge, 1:1 with PMs, lunch, 1:1 with engineers, and 1:1 with leadership team. All interviews with HR, designers and PMs were a positive experience. The weird and negative portion of the interview was towards the end, with the engineers and the leadership team. It gave me the impression that all product-related interviews follow the same structure, regardless of whether the questions they were required to ask were *actually* relevant to the role. Another weird aspect is that they pull in people from around the company to interview you in pairs. Some of the pairs of people I interviewed with never worked together. Odd way to interview. Feedback from HR throughout the entire interview process was fairly quick and timely, so that was definitely a plus. *The 1:1 with engineers*: This was the WORST portion of the entire interview process. The engineers asked me to present a design solution I'd worked on in the past. Then, they proceeded to ask me specifics on how the tech stack interacted with each design element I had come up with. I gave them examples on different types of feedback that my developers had come to me with and how we worked together to fix the design based on technical limitations, but I was pressed for really specific details on how the page worked on a technical level. I work very closely with developers in my current role, push front-end changes often directly in code, and do not consider myself to be a newbie to the intersection of design and tech and I found this interview portion difficult. For context, the role I was interviewing for was UX/research heavy and not tech-focused at all (even less so than my current role). At the end of the interview, I was curious and asked "So how familiar with the tech stack are the designers at Spotify? Do they work super closely with front-end, and work with devs to come up with technical solutions on the back-end?" The answer I was given: "Mmm.. no, the designers here tend to just stay in design and don't really do tech stuff or front-end." OK, so why did you spend an hour grilling me on tech and engineering?? What was the point of the past hour and what were you actually trying to test me for if it isn't relevant to the role?? If you're going to ask engineering and architecture questions for a design role, then I would think it's for at the very least a role that's more front-end coding heavy and not UX heavy, right? *1:1 with leadership*: I spoke with two directors about leadership, and basically how I behave in an office. To preface the entire interview they started off by saying "Okay, we have this series of questions and most of them are related to leadership... but your role is not a leadership role. So answer these the best you can in the perspective a team player on the team, if you don't have any management experience. It's totally okay." Again... why am I being asked questions that are not specific to the role? I was asked questions like "how do you build team morale?" and "describe your management style". Although this part of the interview was not as terrible as the engineering portion, it just again felt like they were just trying to go through a list of questions they were given regardless of whether it had any relation to the designer role I was interviewing for. I've never had an interview where the interviewers had to preface the questions with "so these questions don't REALLY directly relate to what you're interviewing for but let's pretend."

Interview Questions
  • What tech stack does your current company use?
  • Choose a few common apps. Come up with problem statements for each. You have an hour to come up with some solutions on the whiteboard. For the solution you choose, how would you go about conducting research?
  • How do you build team morale?
13 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm) in Aug 2018

Interview

I was contacted by a talent acquisition manager. He scheduled a phone call with a recruiter. After the call with the recruiter, she mentioned that I'd be contacted by a Hiring Manager. It's been a month and she hasn't replied to my e-mails. I find it extremely unprofessional. Please make sure that your employees have enough empathy to put themselves in a candidate's shoes.

Interview Questions
5 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY) in Jan 2018

Interview

I received a mail that I was shortlisted for the position and was asked to fill out a detailed form containing questions about my skills in various design disciplines and US Visa requirements. I heard back after 1.5 months stating that I was not being considered further, which really didn't make sense because through the process - I wasn't contacted by any "person". It was just an automated mail which asked me to fill a form to start the interview process, and then another mail which basically stated that I was rejected. Not happy/impressed by the procedure.

7 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm) in Oct 2017

Interview

First chat with a senior designer in Stockholm (1 hour) - discussing work experience, thoughts on Spotify and a rundown of Spotify's culture and process. Follow up interview with local senior designer in Gothenburg (30 minutes) - more formal. More specific questioning.

Interview Questions
  • Select a few of your projects and talk me through them
6 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY) in May 2015

Interview

The process had 3 parts. It started with the design recruiter organising an online chat with the Director of Design. This was followed by an on-site chat (and tour of the NYC space) with Senior Product designers/developers and finally with a separate 3-4 hour long panel interview that included a collaborative working session with Spotify designers and then the completion of an individual design task with a presentation back to the panel.

Interview Questions
  • The collaborative task included choosing an existing digital product with a 'freemium' subscription model similar to Spotify and thought-storming ideas/solving issues around it.
9 people found this interview helpful