Spotify Product Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Spotify Product Designer Interview Questions

Interviews at Spotify

3.1

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY) in August 2020.

Interview

The interview process was overall positive. It took a little time but communication was constant which was great.

First interview was the recruiter screen for about half an hour online where we spoke more about the role and expectations.

Then I met with the hiring manager virtually where we spoke more about the team and technical aspect of the role.
Next was the virtual on-sight which included a data analyst interview, a fika (coffee) chat with team members, a portfolio review, interviews with product and tech leads, and a design whiteboarding challenge.
The last interviews were with the design manager and the head of the department

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Spotify

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY).

Interview

Got an email from the Recruiter and have a portfolio review for two of my projects, design challenge, and finally get a virtual interview with a hiring manager through Google hangout

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in Spotify   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY) in January 2020.

Interview

*Overall summary*:

30 min phone screening with HR, 1 hour behavioral interview with product design team via Google hangout, then a full day on-site interview consisting of a portfolio review, design challenge, 1:1 with PMs, lunch, 1:1 with engineers, and 1:1 with leadership team.

All interviews with HR, designers and PMs were a positive experience. The weird and negative portion of the interview was towards the end, with the engineers and the leadership team. It gave me the impression that all product-related interviews follow the same structure, regardless of whether the questions they were required to ask were *actually* relevant to the role. Another weird aspect is that they pull in people from around the company to interview you in pairs. Some of the pairs of people I interviewed with never worked together. Odd way to interview.

Feedback from HR throughout the entire interview process was fairly quick and timely, so that was definitely a plus.

*The 1:1 with engineers*:

This was the WORST portion of the entire interview process. The engineers asked me to present a design solution I'd worked on in the past. Then, they proceeded to ask me specifics on how the tech stack interacted with each design element I had come up with. I gave them examples on different types of feedback that my developers had come to me with and how we worked together to fix the design based on technical limitations, but I was pressed for really specific details on how the page worked on a technical level. I work very closely with developers in my current role, push front-end changes often directly in code, and do not consider myself to be a newbie to the intersection of design and tech and I found this interview portion difficult. For context, the role I was interviewing for was UX/research heavy and not tech-focused at all (even less so than my current role).

At the end of the interview, I was curious and asked "So how familiar with the tech stack are the designers at Spotify? Do they work super closely with front-end, and work with devs to come up with technical solutions on the back-end?" The answer I was given: "Mmm.. no, the designers here tend to just stay in design and don't really do tech stuff or front-end." OK, so why did you spend an hour grilling me on tech and engineering?? What was the point of the past hour and what were you actually trying to test me for if it isn't relevant to the role?? If you're going to ask engineering and architecture questions for a design role, then I would think it's for at the very least a role that's more front-end coding heavy and not UX heavy, right?

*1:1 with leadership*:

I spoke with two directors about leadership, and basically how I behave in an office. To preface the entire interview they started off by saying "Okay, we have this series of questions and most of them are related to leadership... but your role is not a leadership role. So answer these the best you can in the perspective a team player on the team, if you don't have any management experience. It's totally okay." Again... why am I being asked questions that are not specific to the role?

I was asked questions like "how do you build team morale?" and "describe your management style". Although this part of the interview was not as terrible as the engineering portion, it just again felt like they were just trying to go through a list of questions they were given regardless of whether it had any relation to the designer role I was interviewing for. I've never had an interview where the interviewers had to preface the questions with "so these questions don't REALLY directly relate to what you're interviewing for but let's pretend."

Interview Questions

• What tech stack does your current company use?   1 Answer
    • Choose a few common apps. Come up with problem statements for each. You have an hour to come up with some solutions on the whiteboard. For the solution you choose, how would you go about conducting research?   Answer Question
    • How do you build team morale?   Answer Question

Product Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

I received a mail that I was shortlisted for the position and was asked to fill out a detailed form containing questions about my skills in various design disciplines and US Visa requirements. I heard back after 1.5 months stating that I was not being considered further, which really didn't make sense because through the process - I wasn't contacted by any "person". It was just an automated mail which asked me to fill a form to start the interview process, and then another mail which basically stated that I was rejected. Not happy/impressed by the procedure.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

The process had 3 parts. It started with the design recruiter organising an online chat with the Director of Design. This was followed by an on-site chat (and tour of the NYC space) with Senior Product designers/developers and finally with a separate 3-4 hour long panel interview that included a collaborative working session with Spotify designers and then the completion of an individual design task with a presentation back to the panel.

Interview Questions

• The collaborative task included choosing an existing digital product with a 'freemium' subscription model similar to Spotify and thought-storming ideas/solving issues around it.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in June 2020.

Interview

The process was very straight forward and convenient. After handing in the application I got contacted by a recruiter. We had an initial conversation about the process. In the next step, I talked to people from the team. Other steps follow, but I dropped out.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in August 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by a talent acquisition manager. He scheduled a phone call with a recruiter. After the call with the recruiter, she mentioned that I'd be contacted by a Hiring Manager. It's been a month and she hasn't replied to my e-mails. I find it extremely unprofessional. Please make sure that your employees have enough empathy to put themselves in a candidate's shoes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in October 2017.

Interview

First chat with a senior designer in Stockholm (1 hour) - discussing work experience, thoughts on Spotify and a rundown of Spotify's culture and process. Follow up interview with local senior designer in Gothenburg (30 minutes) - more formal. More specific questioning.

Interview Questions

• Select a few of your projects and talk me through them   3 Answers