Spotify Interview Questions in Stockholm, Stockholm | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 27, 2017

64 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in October 2017.

Interview

First chat with a senior designer in Stockholm (1 hour) - discussing work experience, thoughts on Spotify and a rundown of Spotify's culture and process. Follow up interview with local senior designer in Gothenburg (30 minutes) - more formal. More specific questioning.

Interview Questions

• Select a few of your projects and talk me through them   1 Answer

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in September 2017.

Interview

After applying I received a call from the HR. Next, I had a technical screening and an interview with the hiring manager. Then I received a task and had to present my findings. Some more discussions/interviews with the team, researchers and a product manager.

Overall, everything happened fast and the TA partner was responsive and helpful. Really smooth process especially considering the amount of applications they receive and the number of open positions they have!

Software Engineer (Backend) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in September 2017.

Interview

First a standard HR interview on google hangouts. Then I received an email with preperations for the next interview. It said to prepare a presentation of a project that I'd worked with, to practice on a few coding tests on hackerrank, to read the book cracking the coding interview. I did that and went to the second interview.
    They did not seem very interested in the project, they mostly wanted to how much devops experience I had. They said that they are looking for developers with extensive devops experience.
    I got a coding assignment to solve on the board. Then questions on how to scale it. After that they asked some trivia questions. I thought my answers were correct but in the email following the interview it said that I hadn't been precise enough, so make sure that your answers are very clear.
    Also be sure to tell them all of your devops experience.
    I was a bit dissapointed that they were not more interested in system development skills.

Interview Questions

• What are the use cases for TCP and UDP? Whick one would you use for http, vpn, ftp, voip, ssh etc   Answer Question
    • What are the pros and cons of map reduce?   Answer Question
    • Are there any cons with TDD?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in August 2017.

Interview

A very lengthy and comprehensive process, yet not tiring or frustrating at all.
    It started with me applying directly on the careers website. Got a mail within a week saying they were interested in having a discussion.
    Within the next week, I had my first Hangouts discussion with the recruiter. It was more of a 'getting to know' interview - probably just judging the communication skills.
    Following that, I had a technical round over Hangouts - consisted of three parts. Describe one of your previous projects in detail. Trivia based Java questions. Coding on shared IDE - DS and Algo. Conducted very professionally, and with a poker-face. Wasn't sure if I made it or not.
    Within a week after that, I got a feedback and they invited me for an on-site. You can google many comprehensive details of the on-site interviews, but the general structure is - 4 interviews of one hour each, focusing on one particular skill (Coding, System Design, Incident/Case, Culture), and an informal discussion over lunch. The main purpose is for them to get to know you and vice versa. I met the very members of the team whom I will be working with. This is followed by a quick tour of the company campus. Also, they paid for the travel and living expense for the on-site.
    Within a week, they reverted with a response. They share a detailed report of the outcome of each interview and will share the positives and negatives.
    By far the best process I have ever undergone.
    Once through, they also take care of the relocation and other logistics.

Software Engineer (Backend) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)).

Interview

Applied on their website and then waited. And waited. And waited. Finally reached out to someone at spotify that setup a meeting with HR.
    The meeting with HR was over the phone and it was a nice chat about me and Spotify as a company.

Agile Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in May 2017.

Interview

Good communication with the recruiter, all the way.
    Then, I had a Google Hangouts with two agile coaches from Spotify - and this was my wake-up call, unfortunately!
    In my opinion (mind, though, I might be entirely subjective and biased!), there was no engagement on the side of the two coaches and, vital from my point of view, I did not feel any sort of enthusiasm in their voices or appearances about them being agile practitioners, in general.
    So, after the interview, I sent an email to the nice recruiter asking him to disregard my application.
    The above review is not meant to discourage anyone from applying. It is meant entirely as a constructive criticism, to improve aspects which might reflect on the overall performance of Spotify.

Cloud Infrastructure Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in May 2017.

Interview

First Round was a skype call mostly for behavioural screening. Then got a case to do in a week. Next round was more technical meeting with two team members and discussing my case. next round was behavioural with a manager. This is as far as I got as I was rejected for not having enough experience. But the recruiter and everyone I talked to was really nice and great. The recruiter even emailed me a full paragraph of what they liked and what the difference maker was

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had a good experience working in a team environment?   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

First had a phone screening with a recruiter. As usual, was asked about my past experiences and a few questions a bit like "How do you collaborate in a team ? How do you communicate in a team ?".

A week later, I had a phone interview with two very friendly Data Engineers. Talked quickly about my background and their jobs at Spotify. Then got asked a lot of trivia questions about CS concepts, data modelling, MapReduce, Spark, probability, probabilistic data structures, machine learning, Unix stuff... They basically want to see the breadth of your knowledge, but also its depth on each domain. It's OK not to know a few answers here and there.
    Then we switched to a shared online editor and got asked :
        - A simple recursion question plus a follow up on how to optimise the time complexity of my solution.
        - A few SQL queries and a follow up on what would happen if the data would not fit in memory
        - Transform one of the SQL queries into a MapReduce job
    Got a few minutes to ask questions at the end

Got invited for the on-sites in Stockholm two weeks later. They paid for the whole trip.
    There I had 2 interviews in the morning, 1 lunch and then 2 more interviews (each interview was w/ 2 engineers and lasted 1 hour with 10 minutes for you to ask questions):
        - Interview 1 was the "Case interview": you are given an architecture and a production problem that really happened at Spotify to solve. You can ask details to your interviewer as if he was your computer (check log files, HDFS file sizes, etc.). Be methodic, ask questions and be clear about what your thinking and the assumptions you're making. This was an extremely fun interview !
        - Interview 2 was the "Programming interview": basic coding questions. Questions about API design, unit testing and solving an ETL problem using a data processing framework (no need to know the exact API, at least the big picture)
        - Interview 3 was the "System design interview": Simple question at first, but you have to ask a lot of questions to clarify the problem and make reasonable assumptions. Don't be afraid to go to the whiteboard early. Solve the problem for simple cases and then think about scale and how you would spread the data on a few machines. CtCi system design questions definitely helped for the general way of thinking in that kind of interview, also Jackson Gabbard's video on system design. Read about data architecture and realtime data processing
        - Interview 4 was the "Culture fit interview" with 2 managers: Interesting conversation about your background and your vision about teamwork, conflict resolution, interest in your job, what your proud of, times when you failed, etc. They go deep into details so make sure to think about these subjects and have an example for each one of them (a time when it happened during your career and how you handled it, successfully or not). Check out Jackson Gabbard's video on behavioural interviews (yeah I really like his videos)

Heard back the week after and accepted the offer.
    Overall smooth process and very nice people. It seems to me that Spotify focuses more on culture fit and collaboration than other companies I've interviewed at.

Interview Questions

• Can't give out details but see answers above for advice   Answer Question

Machine Learning Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in March 2017.

Interview

Initially I didn't get the part, but a few weeks later they contacted me about an internship in another project and got an interview. It roughly lasted about an hour. The interview was in English even though this was in Stockholm. Two people held the interview, one with more technical questions and one who spoke more about the role. They were really nice and helped me with the questions, they also showed me around the offices afterwards.

Interview Questions

• What is a prior? Over/underfitting? What is collaborative filtering? Etc. Experience with specific algorithms. Also an open-ended question about machine learnings approaches in a certain area. Experience of working in a team was also something we discussed.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in March 2017.

Interview

Was asked to apply for a job by a recruiter outside Sweden who found me through LinkedIn. Seemed serious and told me it was for a Senior Software Developer role. I had a interview with a guy called Anton and we talked about my experience and what Spotify was looking for. Was sent to another interview with a HR chief in Stockholm. The woman I talked to stated that I didn't qualify for the Senior position even though Anton asked me to apply for it. So what was the purpose of this process anyway? Then she ask me if I can consider a junior role even though I am a Software Engineer Lead today. What an insult!

This is my second experience from Spotify HR and it sucks! Will never even consider them again even if they begged me on their knees with a 100K paycheck.

Interview Questions

• How many years of experience as a Senior Software Developer do you have?   1 Answer