Spotify Interview Questions in Stockholm, Stockholm | Glassdoor

Spotify Interview Questions in Stockholm, Stockholm

Updated Jan 4, 2017

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)).

Interview

Very chaotic. Five months between recruiter first contact and process end, with multiple recruiters involved. I declined when first offered to proceed, but then got a mail saying I had been accepted to the next step. Got a test which seemed fun, so I did it, but then never got any feedback. Confused mails where exchanged. It was always unclear about where I was in the process, which position we were really discussing (there were multiple and I asked several times for descriptions but never got one).
    I was in interview process with Google at the same time, and the difference was huge. With Google I knew exactly what was going on, who I was talking to, what the next step was and how to prepare for it.

Interview Questions

• Got an open exercise with a dataset, and was free to analyse and present any findings in any way I wanted.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in November 2016.

Interview

The process was quite smooth, starting with a recruiter phone call to understand my background, interests, skills and why I want to join Spotify. It was quite laid back and I was immediately given the green signal to proceed to the next round. The 2nd round was a Skype interview with a couple of engineers who tests your basic understanding of CS concepts with a range of trivia questions. Then, there is a live coding test (a simple question) which tests ur basic problem solving skills and your understanding of code complexity and writing clean code. After a while, I got through to the onsite interview at the Stockholm office. All expenses were paid off and the entire process was smooth. The day has totally 4 interviews (one behavioural, a design, case interview and a white board coding round).

Not much preparation needed except a bit of understanding of how Spotify works and some design paradigms to work with huge amounts of data. One needs to think any problem from the technical perspective and shower deeper understanding of concepts at this stage.
    But the whole process is very laid back (very Swedish ;)) , the interviewers help you a lot. Staying calm is the key.

The most surprising thing of all is that, I got the feedback a day later that I didn't make it. The recruiter took his time to go through the feedback round by round, which helped me understand my strengths and flaws. Overall a very good experience.

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in October 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a Spotify recruiter.

The interview consisted of the following steps:
    - HR screening with a few basic Android questions.
    - Skype 1:1 interview with an Android engineer. In this interview I had some more in-depth Android questions, a coding challenge and a code review task. The coding challenge was to implement in 20 minutes a timer, with the ability to start and stop the counter it and save the state on configuration changes / activity restarts. After this interview I got a detailed feedback and I have been invited to the onsite interview.
    - Onsite interview: 3 interview (plus lunch, which I'm not sure is taken into account as interview). The first was a cultural interview with the hiring manager and the PO. There I talked about how I work in my current company and I had the chance to ask some questions about the Spotify development process. The second interview was the problem solving one and I had to solve a medium-difficulty matrix problem. The third and last was a "Show&Tell": I had to bring a project and talk about it, explain some architectural decisions and talk about testing choices.

Overall the process was nice and the HR team has been very effective and detailed in their feedbacks.

Interview Questions

• - Activity and Fragment lifecycle
      - Services types
      - Solid principles
      - Design patterns (GOF and MVP)
      Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in August 2016.

Interview

Maybe some time ago the Spotify was a great company, but not anymore.
    The interview process took almost half a year. I applied online through their website. After a week or two I received a call from HR. At the end of our interview she told that she liked me and said that the next step interview will be scheduled.
    AFTER 4 MONTHS they scheduled a interview with engineer from one of the teams. The interview with engineer was quite simple and there were almost basic questions:
    1. Write code to revert a string
    2. Check if two strings are anagrams
    3. Check if the string is palindrome.
    4. How garbage collection works
    5. What is reference counting(follow up question about cycles)

The engineer was happy with my answers and told that they will contact me in a week, and said good luck in further process.

After a week they obviously didn't contact me and I wrote the email to the HR. The HR told that they do not have status about my application and told that they will let me know as soon as possible.
    AFTER three weeks they still didn't let me know anything.

It was a worst interview experience in my life. I would never ever work in this stupid company.
    I hope that the people responsible for that will be fired.

Interview Questions

• 1. Write code to revert a string
      2. Check if two strings are anagrams
      3. Check if the string is palindrome.
      4. How garbage collection works
      5. What is reference counting(follow up question about cycles)
      Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in August 2016.

Interview

1. Phone screen (+/- 30 min).
    2. Tech interview (Skype +/- 60 min): basic CS questions and screen sharing for code.
    3. On-site day (4 interviews à 60 min, lunch, 1 interview à 30 min), all expenses paid.
    4. Received an offer for several teams and had additional Skype/Hangouts calls about these.
    5. Accepted offer.

Interview Questions

• A lot of technical questions based on actual cases: infrastructure, software development, personal/behavioural, etc.   Answer Question

Backend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in July 2016.

Interview

Interview process:
    Brief hangouts interview with HR.
    Longer hangouts interview with two engineers going through some small coding problems and an extensive trivia with quick answer questions.

Invited for full day on premise with four interviews and a lunch with potential co-workers.
    Consisted of four interviews (1hr each):
    Culture interview with two team leads who has teams which require someone with your CV.

Coding interview with a coding challenge that gets progressively harder as you come up with solutions. Should also talk about time complexity for your algorithm and testability.

Case interview where the interviewer has data from a real case. You roleplay as an on call engineer who has been woken up in the middle of a night with a tough problem. What do you do?

Architectural interview about designing a system with certain requirements (response time, queries per second etc) and discussing your solution.

Day after the on premise they came back with results.

Interaction Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in May 2016.

Interview

I've applied to a summer internship position. After completing the application online, I was contacted by the HR department through a phone call and later by the team I would be joining.

Interview Questions

• Previous experiences, Portfolio presentation, Project details and which parts of my process I've enjoyed the most/the least.   Answer Question

Software IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in April 2016.

Interview

The process took 3 weeks, i was contacted through linkedin by HR, The first interview was 10 mins, The interviewer asked me simple questions, like what do i know about spotify and she asked me to send her CV, and i asked to schedule the next interview to the next week,The second interview was HR as well, she asked me about my CV, and if i am interested more in UI or other things, and what do i like about my current team, and how do we handle projects,and then i scheduled the next interview the following week, it was a technical one for hour and hald, they asked some questions and then i shared my screen for a task (it was a simple UI task).

Interview Questions

• 1- Difference between frame and bounds, 2- What is polymorphism 3- what is CAlayer? 4- difference between pass by reference and pass by value?   Answer Question

Agile Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in April 2016.

Interview

The process started 10 months after I had submitted an application. I was still interested so we went forward. I had an initial phone interview with a recruiter that followed with a Google Hangout interview with two other agile coaches who were both a lot less experienced than myself, but things were quite friendly and rather informal. Then I was invited to facilitate a retrospectives session and got interviewed for my leadership skills. Everything went well at every stage of the interview and I was told by one of the interviewers that I should be receiving an offer in the coming week.

Until things suddenly changed. An agile coach at Spotify whom I knew but had not been involved in my interview process had called one of my colleagues at my current employer which is a very unprofessional behavior in my opinion, especially since Spotify had not asked me for references. My colleague then told me that he was not the only one who was called.
    This put me in a terrible position in my current employer since everyone suddenly learned that I was considering leaving the company.

For two weeks, I couldn't get a hold of anyone who had been involved in my interview process. Finally after calling the original recruiter, I was told that they were not going to give me an offer because they want a more experienced person. This obviously didn't add up since everyone in the process had told me that they really like that I had so much experience!
    I think someone in my current employer got shocked and perhaps disappointed to learn that I was about to leave and gave negative reference about me. But whatever the reason, this overall experience made me have to leave my employer since they lost their trust in me after this incident.

Interview Questions

• How will you deal with the situation where a team has lost motivation?   Answer Question

Software Engineer (Backend) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in April 2016.

Interview

I had two Skype call-interviews in a very awkward matter. The staff seems very dead and uncomfortable about using Skype as a interview tool. I have no experience of this either and find it unnecessary since I live 200 meters from their main office here in Stockholm.

The first interview was stupidly short and just ask questions they already find answered in my CV. I had another interview after numerous follow ups from my side of contacting. The second interview was two developers who ended up in silence several times. The purpose of their tests seemed to be missing so it seemed a bit too improvised at their part and gave another awkward feeling of not knowing what their target it to understand my skills.

I wasn't offered a position but wouldn't have accepted one either. The interview process is stupid and the recruiter are mindless. Very shocking!