Square Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 876 of over 876 interviews

Recruiter16%
Employee Referral14%
HardAverageEasy

Square

Application

I interviewed at Square

Interview

It was an easy interview process, except for one interviewer asking a 'gotcha' question. He totally presented data as if it was one thing and it was actually another. Which I found as we progressed in the exercise. It was a simple problem, and maybe they're checking if you don't just blindly trust your teammates, but I certainly felt tricked. It was my fourth interview and I knew it was all a waste of time as I could tell his attitude shifted when I didn't catch that he gave the wrong data up front. Which led me to eventually question and figure it out, but by then it was too late. I have offers for more high profile roles at this point, so I guess no harm no foul, but I wanted to add this so that someone else in the future will know that Square's whole message about culture and being a different kind of tech company is completely bs, if that's the kind of people they have representing them as a company. I was really hopeful for more normal people and less tech douches, but what I experienced was very similar to Amazon's interview process. Also they talk a big game about diversity but my 4 interviews were all white dudes.

40 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square (Chicago, IL)

Interview

Spoke with the recruiter for 45 mins (30 was scheduled) and it was a great conversation! Over the phone. Moved on to the next round to talk to the hiring manager and it was like pulling teeth. I really liked hearing about the team from the recruiter, but the hiring manager was just so boring. Pretty dull, uneventful conversation. He was not a good conversationalist and it only made it worse that it was phone only. I’ve had the same conversation with several hiring managers and he was probably the worst. As much as I’d love to work for the team, not sure I’d want to work for this hiring manager if they're at the director level.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about yourself and your background.
    Answer Question
  • Why are you looking for a new role?

Square

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square

Interview

The Square interview process was was nothing if not thorough. They have a very detailed process clearly designed to ensure they are attracting and hiring capable folks who truly believe in the mission and have a passion for pushing it forward. Hiring Manager Natalie H. was absolutely fantastic throughout the entire process. She was clear, comprehensive, and made time for any and every question throughout the entire process,

Interview Questions
  • How do you view the company mission and what impact can you have on it in this position?

Square

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square

Interview

Absolutely horrendous candidate experience! From the condescending RC team to the recruiters I dealt with. To start, I was given a writing "challenge" assignment which felt more like soliciting free labor from candidates than a genuine assessment, with a 45-minute time limit and only 24 hours to complete it during a long holiday weekend. I normally wouldn't bother proceeding with a role that requires this but went ahead anyway. Then came the recruiter screenings which were booked TWICE on the wrong day/time zone, which I had to solicit these changes. A candidate shouldn't have to use your brain for you to book interviews at a logical/reasonable hour for all involved. After having the schedule changes, I had two phone 30/60-minute long screens with recruiters who were very rude and sounded disinterested in screening me. I could literally hear TV/pets in the background. I had to send several follow-up emails to get cryptic responses and nobody seemed to know what the other was doing. The disorganization of this team is beyond disgraceful and I'm right to say that because of the weeks of radio silence (strike 2). Finally, I get scheduled for a final panel interview with the wrong time zone and request it to be rescheduled AGAIN! This interview only happened after I signed an NDA and was 2.5 hours long with a sourcer, RC, and two managers, The managers seemed either too full of themselves or preoccupied and dissociated (dressed in yoga attire!). The associate-level employees were fine, but again the arrogance is unfounded. The kicker? After all that, I had to goose-chase my main point-of-contact and two other schedulers for updates and in return, I received a canned template rejection email response. No personalized feedback after soliciting/wasting 6+ hours of my time. Never again! The role has been reposted and some other poor schmucks will be roped into this sadistic process. I expected way better from Square- if you work in HR/People Ops - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE avoid this dumpster fire of a team/company.

Interview Questions
  • Various situational/behavioral questions, written skills challenge.

Square

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square

Interview

Applied over a month ago and recruiter finally reached out to me. Unfortunately call with recruiter was more like an interrogation. Instead of being a conversation it was a series of questions the recruiter seem to read off of and jot down notes. Recruiter seem to have no personality, you might as well have just had a computer read off the questions.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Square

Application

I interviewed at Square

Interview

Overall I had a positive experience and the process was smooth and efficient. Square is pushing their diversity and inclusion initiative so my only recommendation is to pair POC candidates with hiring managers who are less prone to bias and/or pair those hiring managers with a POC colleague.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Square

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square

Interview

Applied online and it took a month for them to look at my resume and invite me to interview with HR. That interview finally took place a month after that. Had an interview with the hiring manager who was clearly walking around in their house and not at their computer. Ghosted after the interview with the hiring manager. It’s been several months.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Square

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Square

Interview

Very hand-on and related to the work you would do as an iOS Engineer. You need to make sure to know your basics well, write code without asking for help or looking it up. They say you can google or use stackoverflow, but it feels like it's better to avoid it. 1. Recruiter call. Will be given option of take-home or online coding challenge. I did the take-home one. 2. Take-home assignment. Need to create an app that makes API call and displays results, with some optimizations 3. Onsite: - 1 pair programming to extend the data layer of your take-home assignment - 1 pair programming to extend the UI layer of your take-home assignment - 1 system design where you have to discuss something that you previously designed - 1 behavioral - Casual Chat with hiring manager. Supposed to be casual, but they are still assessing you. If anything, this is the most important one, since the hiring manager seems to have the final say.

Interview Questions
  • Write an app that makes an API call and displays results, plus some optimizations

Square

Application

I interviewed at Square

Interview

Pair programming in Technical Screen, 2 pair programming interviews, 1 system design, 1 past experience and 1 leadership interview in onsite interview. Followed by 1 hiring manager interview. Interviewers were all really nice.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Square

Application

I interviewed at Square

Interview

Two interviews before I was contacted by HR that the manager had been moved to another position, further explaining that the role would only be considered for internal only now. This was after I was asked to create a program for recruitment - sent a two page process outlining multiple practices and strategies.

Interview Questions
  • How do you create and track new customer leads?
Viewing 1 - 10 of 876 Interviews