Square Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Process consisted of an initial 1 hour call with a hiring manager, followed by two phone screens - one management related and one coding. The coding screen was done via Coderpad, and involved basic CS concepts.

Onsite consisted of 2 paired coding interviews using a real IDE rather than a whiteboard, 2 additional technical interviews (design/architecture, and talk us through a significant piece of technical work you did in the past), 1 management interview and then meeting with a few hiring managers of teams that had management openings. The 2 non-coding technical interviews and the management interview were both conducted by 2 interviewers each. In total, the onsite was 7 hours, including lunch, which made for a long, but enjoyable day. Everyone was very friendly and went out of their way to make me feel comfortable. The day was well organized and ran on schedule. Definitely the most polished onsite I had during my job search

Interview Questions

• For technical phone screen make sure to brush up on CS fundamentals - data structures, algorithms, etc. If you make it to the onsite the recruiter will provide plenty of information regarding what to prep for.   Answer Question

Jul 31, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with Square! We are happy to hear that you had a good experience with the Engineering Manager interview. At Square, we are always... More

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

They reached out on LinkedIn, the whole process was very fast and professional. 3 coding questions - 2 straight forward, 1 more algorithmic, 1 design, 1 background. The interviewers for design and background were not very experience, so be prepared to heavily lead these rounds.

Interview Questions

Square Response

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with Square! We are happy to hear that you had a good experience with the Software Engineer Interview. At Square, we are always... More

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and the recruiter contacted me a little afterward for a quick phone screen.

I then had the technical phone screen the following week, which was surprisingly pretty manageable, a really basic question. The interviewer was actually very friendly during the process, and it felt more collaborative compared to some other companies I interviewed for. It seems like for this phase they want to know that you can actually code normally.

I moved quickly to the onsite - three more coding interviews, all very friendly. They helped unblock me and point out some or my mistakes as I was typing, which I really appreciate. I definitely would not have gotten through the problems if they just watched me, like other companies do. They want to see how you can work through a problem, not if you can pass or fail the challenge.

Something to note is that all interviewers come with problems that they come up with on their own, not from a pool of pre-approved questions, so it's pretty impossible to prepare for specific questions.

Next was lunch with an engineering manager (delicious), and then architecture with a pair of interviewers. Don't be deterred by interviewing with a pair of engineers. It's actually better, in my opinion, because it lessens bias from one, single individual and helps you with balanced feedback, if, for example, the solo interviewer was having a bad day. Together we designed a calendar API.

I then interviewed with another pair of engineers about my previous projects. Just a casual chat about what you've worked on, no whiteboarding whatsoever. It was pretty relaxed. They just want to get a sense of your general experience, didn't go into too much depth.

Overall, a much more positive experience than other companies I've interviewed at. Much more personable in general. The interviewers generally want to help you and see you succeed, instead of just watching you with their arms folded.

Interview Questions

• Fizz buzz variation, find duplicate integer from array   Answer Question
    • Reverse a string, array manipulation   Answer Question
    • Design a calendar API   Answer Question
    • Simple OOP exercise with basic functionality. For example, if Dog and Cat inherited from Animal, what would that look like?   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

I had a 30 minute phone interview with the recruiter who asked me some general questions about my background and why I'm looking for a new design job. A couple days later I was scheduled for another phone interview with a manager for the position I was interviewing for. Even though the role was a product designer, the manager for the position was an engineering manager. I thought this was definitely a bit of a red flag. Shouldn't a designer mostly report to a design manager or a pm?

The phone interview with the engineering manager was pretty standard, although at one point he did say "I don't know anything about design" which again isn't exactly what a design candidate loves to hear haha. I walked through some of my work with him, and he asked a bunch of technical questions which was fine, but he didn't ask questions about why I made certain decisions in my work, etc. I definitely walked away from the interview much less enthusiastic about the opportunity. Nevertheless, I followed up with the manager and the recruiter. The manager responded and let me know that the recruiter would be reaching out soon. I never heard back from anyone.

It definitely doesn't feel great to be ghosted, but I hope they found the right candidate for the role!

Interview Questions

Square Response

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience interviewing for the Product Designer Interview role at Square. We were extremely disappointed to read about your interview process... More

People Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

After applying, I heard back within 48 hours requesting a screening interview, which was scheduled for the following week. Screening interview was 30 minutes. I heard back about a week later for a second interview. This interview was with the hiring manager, scheduled for another week out, and also was 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project related to people space where I had a very strong role in the work   Answer Question

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with Square! We are happy to hear that you had a good experience with the People Research Analyst interview . At Square, we are... More

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

Sent in an online application and heard back in a few days. I sent in a writing sample and set up an interview for the following week. It was a group interview.

Interview Questions

Square Response

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with Square. We always appreciate comments and feedback from our candidates so that we can improve our process and we are... More

Software Engineer - Front End Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

Pretty generic. Recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn and asked to set up a technical phone screen. Phone screen was rushed (interviewer had to change rooms due to issues). Interviewer also didn't seem to value candidates time, got the feeling like I was wasting his time even as I was working through the problems -- overall unfriendly and negative interaction. After a week, recruiter did not send any sort of response. I had to email them asking for results and they immediately replied.

Interview Questions

• Algorithm question regarding tree structures, typical algorithm questions masked by different wording   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square (Atlanta, GA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted shortly after by a recruiter who gave me a fair idea of what to expect. The tech interview was scheduled for a week and a half later.

It was a pairing session that was one hour on Coderpad/Google Hangouts w/ somebody in San Francisco; 45min to code and 15min to ask questions about the company.

I don’t think the interviewer could’ve been more checked out. Surely, there was no correlation between having to constantly repeat my questions and the barrage of Slack alerts dinging in the background. When it came to the Q&A session, replies ranged from one-word answers to canned responses akin to that of a call center representative. Definitely not a company I would pursue working for.

Interview Questions

Square Response

Jul 31, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience interviewing for the Software Engineer role at Square. We were extremely disappointed to read about your interview process... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter through LinkedIn. Had an initial chat with recruiter and then a "pairing interview" with an Engineer. We walked through a problem together, and I got a running solution, though I couldn't gauge how well I did because the Engineer did a lot of talking which isn't usually the norm. Generally in technical interviews, someone just gives you a question, then sits there and sees what you come up with. I prefer this method of working through a solution with your interviewer. I was then invited on site to their San Francisco office.

During the onsite there are three 1 hour code "pairing interviews"" and then two architectural discussion interviews, one about past experiences and one about designing an application(I got hotels.com as others have said on glassdoor). I expected my code pairing interviews to be similar to that of my phone screen, but to my dismay, my first two interviewers were not interested in being collaborative. My first interviewer had a laptop with was clearly working on something else. My second interviewer didn't say much at all, and was yawning throughout the interview. I thought both were a little unprofessional to be honest. My third interviewer for the code pairings was much better, and might be one of the best interviewers I've ever had. He gave me a problem, and then we talked through it first by drawing out solutions on a piece of paper, and then I implemented it. This is what I thought my other pairing interviews were going to be like, and based on reviews I've read on here, it seems like that this type of collaborative process is what a lot of Square interviewers try to follow. I wish all my interviewers followed this process. I had lunch in between my pairing interviews with a square engineer and was given a tour of the office. I had my two architectural interviews in the afternoon, and then finished up by talking to the hiring manager and then finally my recruiter. I got a rejection two days later.

I could've done a little better on the pairing interviews, hopefully people reading this will get more collaborative interviewers during the onsite. I thoughtoverall, Square's process is a lot better than most big companies. I do think Square tries to push the practice of making their interviews collaborative, but maybe not every interviewer will necessarily follow the guidelines. So basically prepare to do a whiteboarding interview on an IDE, and come up with a working solution in under an hour. As other Glassdoor reviews have mentioned the pairing interviews are not exactly your typical leetcode/CTCI questions.

Interview Questions

Square Response

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I interviewed at Square (Saint Louis, MO) in July 2017.

Interview

I was more than excited to learn that I had been chosen for an interview with Square. I have a friend who works there and he LOVE's it, and I was excited to strive for an opportunity to get that same work experience. I successfully completed the online video interview, and was emailed by a recruiter to connect with her via phone for a second 20min background interview. She reached out to me an requested me to list a couple of days I was free to chat. I gave her the availability of the next day and the next few days after that. She replied days later and stated that she was not available for another week in the afternoon. Understanding her busy schedule I suggested we connect then, or any other time that works best for her and she never replied. I have connected with many recruiters, but I have never had an experience like this before. Not only am I disappointed in the recruiting system, but I am totally bummed not to have the chance to display my skills and qualifications for this position with a company I was so excited to share my talents with.

Interview Questions

• Why Sales? Why Square? Why do yo want to be a Sales Development Representative?   1 Answer

Bay Area Operations Lead - Caviar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Began the process with a recruiter screen which appeared fairly basic. The responsibilities of the role were presented, but still seemed a bit ambiguous in nature. Moved forward to a phone interview with the hiring manager which was a decent conversation. Moved on to a written assignment - could not tell if it was being used for evaluation purposes in place of an interview or screening purposes where 90%+ should have moved forward. Recruiter and hiring manager did not specify how much time should be spent completing the written assignment or how it would be reviewed. After submission, the recruiter and hiring manager were not able to turn around candidacy status in a timely manner and issued rejection notice.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in particular role at Square?   Answer Question
    • Walk me through your background and how you arrived at applying for this role.   Answer Question
    • What are some of your strengths and where are you hoping to grow?   Answer Question
    • How does this role fit into your career goals?   Answer Question