Square Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 13, 2018

3.1

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Square (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

Over the course of eight weeks I interviewed with 9 people ranging from HR, Headquarters, and the St. Louis office. The process started with a phone screening with HR which led to a phone interview with someone at the headquarters. I then had to interview via video conference at the St. Louis Office where I had three separate video conference interviews with people from Headquarters in San Francisco. After this stage I was asked to provide work samples which led to a design exercise. Once my design was reviewed I had made it to the next round which was face to face interviews with four team members in St. Louis. The following week I was notified via phone that I did not advance to the next round, which is to fly out to San Francisco to interview in person.

Here is why Square left a bad taste in my mouth:
    1. I was not provided feedback as to why I did not make it to the next round, especially after dedicating 8 weeks of my time and using a full vacation day to do so.
    2. At the beginning of the process I was not notified I would have to fly out to Headquarters to interview in person. This was sprung on me right after the face to face interviews.
    3. The last person I interviewed with was the Team Lead - she was very rude and it was very apparent she had no no interest in getting to know me. She didn't even have the decency to interview with me face to face. We had video conference where she was conducting from the other building. She quickly moved from one question to the next as if she was just trying to fly through and get it over with.

Overall everyone I spoke with besides the Team Lead was professional, nice, and displayed a passion for working for Square. That last interview I had made me feel insignificant, a waste of time, and just another feather in someone's hat. If Square already had someone in mind (which I'm thinking is the case) why put someone through eight weeks of interviewing? I am all for finding the right talent and people to fit the role but this process is the worst I've dealt with in my career.

Bottom line I will never apply for Square openings again.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you took initiative to learn something new.   Answer Question
    • Describe the last new thing you learned about your job.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

Talked to recruiter to set up pair programming on coderpad. Coding Question wasn’t grueling but interviewer didn’t really “help” but instead directed condescending statements that dampened confidence. I think the experience would have been better if interviewer wasn’t saying “uh huh” and at least pretending to be involved in the process. Never heard back from the recruiter or anyone else after that. Question was of medium difficulty on leetcode.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Square (Saint Louis, MO) in June 2018.

Interview

Dehumanizing.

I was contacted by a recruiter, who was kind. The day of the interview I am escorted into an office. I passed by a line of 10-15 employees with tablets or laptops interviewing people. I was brought to an area with chairs and a bunch of other candidates. Someone called my name and brought me over to an open interviewer with her laptop. She looked young and her position, I don't remember, definitely was not HR or management. I was squeezed in between others who were being interviewed. I could hear their answers. It was LOUD in the room--people were working at their computers, as it was the office, plus the chatter of the people waiting, plus interview chatter as well. I was asked three questions. I answered. She said thanks and I would be escorted out. I was immediately replaced by someone else. There's no way she was familiar with my qualifications. There was no way she cared. There seems to be no rhyme or reason, except to hope you jive well immediately with this one person in a crowded, loud room. Like meeting someone at a concert while the band plays.

It was disappointing. All the other candidates looked to be young, recent college graduates. The interview represented everything that's wrong with the job search process. We were all hopeful, but none of us were given a fair chance.

I've done plenty of interviews, including group interviews, and this was nothing like that. I understand they had many applicants, but surely there's a better way to interview so that you don't feel like cattle being lined up for the slaughter among others just like you.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with the Cash app? Describe your work history. Describe a time a supervisor or peer gave you negative feedback. Why a job in customer service?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

Overall the process was pleasant, with the recruiting team being extremely on point and friendly. It starts with the recruiter call, then the hiring manager call, then a homework plus an on-site presentation, and then onsite interviews. It was sometimes hard to know what they were looking for though, as the JD and the homework seemed to ask for different skill sets and roles.

Interview Questions

• What sort of content creation have you done in the past   Answer Question

May 31, 2018 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us! Our job descriptions need to align with the information and work provided to candidates during the interview process, and we apologize if this... More

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

Was asked to answer some pre-screen questions via email followed by a phone interview by a member of the team.
    General behavioral questions followed by Sales specific questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle changing environments and requirements?   Answer Question
    • What recommendations would you have for increasing sales?   Answer Question

May 25, 2018 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to interview with our sales team. We hope you will consider us again for future opportunities!

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Interview

Recruiter reached out to setup a time for me to talk to the hiring manager. Another recruiter reached out after it was scheduled and said she wanted to talk to me first. Call went well and she said she would like to have me talk to the hiring manager ASAP and would get back to me with a time later that day. It's been over a month and still haven't heard back.

Interview Questions

Square Response

May 31, 2018 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for chatting with one of our recruiters. It's important for us to have clear communication with our candidates, and we missed the mark here. We hope you will keep us in mind for future... More

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

It was the worst interview experience in my job search history. It happened last week, and I finally decided to write it down.
    Before I experience what's following, Square has been a great company and I really admire the company mission as well as the simplicity of their design solutions, which made me believed that working at Square was a dream job for me. I applied several positions online and got approached by the recruiter for one position in one of the product team. Since I have got an offer in hand, the recruiter agreed to expedited the process. And I talked to one of the designer on that product team, they followed up with giving me a design challenge. I submitted the design challenge and waited for the answer. However, after a long day wait, I received a rejection email from recruiter only after I asked for the decision. I followed up with the recruiter asking if that rejection applied to other positions since she told me the design challenge could be used for other positions. Almost towards the end of the second day, the recruiter asked me if I want to interview for a junior designer position opening on other two product teams. I said yes because I still believe that this a great company with high design bar and it will be good for my growth as a designer. The recruiter then scheduled an 5-hour onsite two day later. Therefore, I assumed that other design team has reviewed my portfolio and saw me as a potential candidate.
    On-site day. I took one day off and arrived at their SF office. It started with a portfolio review and design challenge review which were suggested by the recruiter. There were designers from two product team sitting in the room. I thought it went well though they had some questions regarding the product platforms. After the portfolio review, I talked to one of the design lead from one product team. And the conversation was more about getting to know my background and my design ethics. Next was the lunch with designers. Two designer showed up and took me to their cafe. I started to feel the awkward, because I can feel they didn't want to know more about me. We sit with a few designers who joined the table. During the 45min, they just kept talking about their own work and ignored me. I was already surprised by that. Even if they didn't like me, I was still a guest and that should not be the way they treated their guests. Now I think about that, maybe those designer already knew what will happen afterwards. Because after the uncomfortable lunch, the recruiter showed up and told me that they decided to move forward with other more experienced designer. They didn't want to waste my time and she was gonna walk me out. I was completed shocked. And I still remembered the face of the recruiter, she just couldn't wait for a second to kick me out of their office!
    I respect their decision since there can be a thousand of random reason that made them feel I was not a good fit. However, I was really disappointed on the whole process. I literally felt humiliated. And this situation could have avoided if the recruiter set up the phone interview with those two design team before bringing me on site. It was probably the first time for all those people who were in the portfolio review. And it was really rude and hash to stopped the interviews in the middle without explaining more. Secondly, their designers who went to lunch with me didn't even respect me as a visitor. I really wanted to join their conversation but all they talk was about their work. It was really isolating and disrespectful. I already felt that I was not sure if I wanted to work with them.
    It was a really bad and unpleasant experience to me. I followed up to ask about the detailed reason for why they turned me down. The recruiter said the interviewer thought there were some strategy gap in the project I presented. It sounded very lame to me since they just put all the responsibility of a product strategy only on the designer without trying to understand the decision making process and the stakeholders in the project. To me, this is very sad because a product is a result of a team work and lots of collaborative decisions we made together with all the stakeholders.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want join Square? What's your background? How do you keep yourself inspired?   Answer Question

May 25, 2018 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us. This is not the experience that we want to provide to our candidates and we apologize for missing the mark. We will be sharing this feedback with... More

Sales Operations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Square (Chicago, IL) in May 2018.

Interview

Just submitted my resume and cover letter, and received an interview offer couple days later. Waited about a week until a decision was made. Had 2-4 days to accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you thought you could've made a difference.   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in the future with Square   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Three technical interviews, three design and management interviews, final interview with department lead.

Overall, a reasonable interview process. Three 45 minute technical sessions, lunch, and then four more management and design sessions. I was not moved forward due to my performance on the technical portion of the interview.

Interview Questions

• While stated in more general terms, the questions and expected answers amounted to: Implement Levenshtein distance algorithm, Bresenham's line algorithm, and Neal Stephenson's Solitaire Encryption Algorithm.

I had 35-40 minutes to complete each on a Java IDE after introductions and questions.   1 Answer

Apr 23, 2018 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to interview with us in SF. We hope you had a positive onsite interview experience with our team!

Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Square (New York, NY).

Interview

It started with telephonic round. There were some questions like tell me about yourself, your projects and so on. I was asked to write a program via coderpad. First part of the question was given and I implemented the required logic. I was able to run it on coderpad and got the necessary results. This happened in few mins. Next part of the question was posted and I started working writing code and probably took around 12-15 mins to implement it and by now, we were running out of time. I hurried up and wrote a solution and however we didn't had enough time to run it and test the app. I provided a solution with best complexity possible. Interviewer was happy. Not to forget, I had asked good no of sensible questions before I got started to make sure I cover all the edge cases. I was also talking out loud and explaining the recruiter my approach. I did mention above complexity of the alogrithm as well. He let me ask few questions after this and he answered all my questions.

Interview went very well and I was hoping for further Interview process. In two days I got rejections. Recruiter failed to provide feedback as it was against there policy ( this is understandable).

I felt this was just a formality sort of an interview where the final candidate was pre decided and just as a formality they wanted to interview other candidates to abide by their company hiring policy
     I'm not sure if this is fact but it appeared to be so.

Sorry Square, providing interview feedback is not something wrong. Most of the companies provides interview feedback when rejecting a candidates these days. This is definitely a good practice not just bcoz the candidate will realize the mistakes they did during the interview, but also it wouldn't give chance to the candidates to suspect that it's a formality interview and eventually candidate would give a positive review online saying the company has good hiring practice.

I felt the decision was unfair.

Interview Questions

• write a Java program to find distance between two coordinates points. continuation question - 2nd part : give a base coordinate, and integer - no of closest points N and a list of coordinates, find N no of closest points   Answer Question