Square Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Square Interview Questions

Updated Feb 19, 2018

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

Horrible interview! They have such DB interviewers. My interviewer was not involved in the interview at all. He gave me a really tough problem to solve and was busy working on his laptop.Please do not bother interviewing with this company

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied online, contacted by a recruiter several months later. Had an initial screening call, had a 40-45 min call with a design director, and completed a design challenge. The next step would’ve been an on-site interview with members of the design team to present the design challenge, and have several breakout interviews. The company culture seemed fairly relaxed, and each product designer is responsible for multiple products.

Interview Questions

Square Response

Feb 12, 2018 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for sharing your interview experience with us. We're glad that our culture reflected positively throughout the process!

Full Stack Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied via Linkedin. I had my first and only interview at the Square office since I am local to the Bay Area. Everyone was nice during my interview. I arrived at Square for my one hour interview. I signed an NDA so I can't tell you the question. I can tell you that they do not do brainteaser interviews that other tech companies do. Instead, they ask you a reasonable question that you could actually end of implementing in the real world. They tell you that you can use any resources that you would like to use such as Google and debugging.

During my 1 hour interview, I only received positive signals from my interviewer. My code passed all test. He kept saying that what I was doing is right. So I was shocked when I received a rejection note the next day.

I asked my recruiter for feedback and he was nice enough to respond with feedback.

Here is the feedback and what I learned from that feedback:
    - Feedback: You relied too heavily on the eclipse autocorrect without taking the time to understand the bug.
    -->I would say that I agree that I relied on the eclipe autocorrect. I would suggest taking the time to understand the bug instead of doing what I did and just letting it autocorrect.

-Feedback: You copied paste code without understanding how to use it first.
    -->I agree with this feedback too.I would suggest understanding the code in the browser and just take your time to type it out instead of doing what I would do during my regular job which is grab the code and then modify it in the IDE to suit the purpose I need it for.

-Feedback: You struggled with debugging.
    --> I do *not* agree with this feedback and find it slightly embarrassing that this is on my file, but what is meant for me is meant for me. During the interview, I had a bug in my code. So the interviewer asked if I would like to debug it. I said sure. I was about to debug it but then I realized what my bug was and instead of debugging, I just corrected it. It ran perfectly. I did not know that he was trying to test my debugging skills and wanted me to continue to debug.

Ok. So there is a common theme here. Square (or at least this interviewer) would prefer that you take your time and instead of hurrying up to do things. Most companies want speed, Square seems to want you to just take the time to get it right the first time. If you look up something on the internet, even though copy-pasting is faster, I would say take the time to type it out. Know that they want to test your debugging skills. During my future interviews at other companies, I am going to ask the interviewer at the end of the interview if they have any concerns about my abilities so that I can address them.

Interview Questions

Square Response

Feb 12, 2018 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your pair programming experience with us. We’re glad to hear that the feedback your recruiter provided was constructive and we appreciate you taking the time to follow up after... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

Sent in a resume. Three months ago and still have not heard back from them. I have heard they usually have a quick response time even if you are denied.

Interview Questions

Square Response

Feb 12, 2018 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! We take our screening process seriously, but due to the high volume of applications that come our way, it may take longer to receive a response. We... More

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Square (Atlanta, GA) in January 2018.

Interview

Had an amazing recruiter and an overall great experience with the Square recruiting process.

Loved the pair-programming style of interview questions, and I really felt like I could bounce ideas back and forth which made it much more enjoyable. Having access to all of the standard libraries made it much more relaxing too.

In general, I'd suggest reviewing general CS principles but if you're a halfway decent programmer these questions shouldn't be hard to come up with a basic solution for. Always make a working solution, THEN optimize! Looking forward to joining the team.

Interview Questions

• General Technical Questions in Pair-Programming Style   1 Answer

Feb 12, 2018 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for sharing your feedback and advice! We're thrilled to hear that you had a great time interviewing with us in Atlanta. Your positive thoughts on our pair programming interviews will be shared... More

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Overall, a very positive experience. I find the reviews on here that say the interview was 100% negative hard to believe. At the very least, everyone I interacted with was professional, and nearly all of them were outright friendly.

I obviously can't predict what questions others will be asked during their interviews, but in general, Square doesn't seem to ask "hard" questions that rely on figuring out a specific trick to get the correct answer. Instead, they ask what I'd call "fair" questions - multistage OOP problems that incorporate CS fundamentals to varying extents. That being said, if people study in a way that heavily favors trick problems, they might find Square's more practical/applied questions pretty hard.

Biggest piece of advice: get your code running.

I think the most important difference from many other companies is that you're actually coding on a computer, not whiteboarding - so your code has to run. Getting your code to run should be your first priority. If it doesn't run, you need to be able to debug and fix your errors quickly. Get to a working solution for the initial stage of the question, run some test cases, refactor... then repeat for the next, harder stage of the question. Honestly, most of my coding interviews at Square ended up being kind of fun.

You may or may not get asked specific time/space complexity questions about your code, depending on the interviewer. Interviewers were all friendly, and helped unblock me if I got too stuck for too long. They kept things moving.

The post-interview experience was very positive, too. Things moved quickly - I heard back within a couple days - and the team selection, offer, and negotiation all went pretty smoothly. End-to-end, the entire process from initial phone screen to final offer took 4 weeks, and could have moved faster if my personal schedule had permitted it.

Interview Questions

• Multistage OOP problems that rely on correct usage/application of CS fundamentals.   Answer Question

Feb 20, 2018 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for sharing your interview experience. We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the process from start to finish. Welcome to Square!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Square (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

First was a writing sample, followed by a phone interview, last step was an in-person interview. All were behavioral questions and how you would interact with a customer in a phone or e-mail setting.

Interview Questions

• Can you give an example of a time where you went above and beyond to help a customer?   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Square (Atlanta, GA) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied for the internship online. A recruiter sent me a link to a technical screening - two questions of difficulty on par with the "medium" problems on LeetCode. Not too difficult, and within a week I was contacted to setup a paired programming interview.

The paired programming interview is a 45 minute long exercise where you are given a problem a little more difficult than the technical assessment. The premise is that you will be working on it alongside your interviewer - hence the "pair" part - but unless my interview was atypical, instead, it is simply like any other coding interview. The interviewer watches your progress and may offer a few tips if you get truly stuck, but otherwise they are there to assess and little else.

That may be my only complaint here -Square makes a big deal about these "pair programming interviews" being a revolutionary new concept, but they seem to be identical to other coding interviews. Worse, they're even identical in the worst way; the interviewer did not seem interested in my ability to methodically solve the problem logically and to accurately assess the algorithms I was employing, and instead he was interested in whether I could solve it quickly and with little thought. That is to say, like most coding interviewers, he wanted a LeetCode champion, not the result of four years of well-marked schooling. I knew I had failed the interview less than 20 minutes in by the sound of his disappointment. To be fair, that's on me - I should have put more practice into LeetCode parlor tricks because that's just what the business is about, but it was disappointing to see from Square.

All of that said, everyone I talked to was very friendly and I am likely to apply again in the future. I will also give them props for sending me a rejection less than 3 days after the interview, because the wait for these things can be agonizing.

Interview Questions

Square Response

Feb 12, 2018 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to interview with us! We're sorry to hear that you didn’t have the best experience during your coding challenges. We are constantly assessing and improving our process to... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Square (Saint Louis, MO) in December 2017.

Interview

I was recruited by a staffing company and sent to a face-to-face interview after answering to questions and having the recruiter submit it to square. I was set up with a face-to-face three-round interview at the square site. The young lady I interviewed with did not greet me warmly she told me a little bit about herself and said she was recently promoted to a manager in January of this year. She asked three very general, questions that you get on most interviews tell me a little bit about yourself what's your preferred shift and can you give me a time where you receive Chris Tractive advice she did not say constructive criticism I even repeated her because I wanted to make sure I understood her correctly before answering. I gave her a brief scenario for my current job and right after she asked me to turn my badge into the reception. As I was doing this I looked back and she had the most disgusting look on her face and she was literally ripping up my resume and throwing it in the trash and she looked a little surprised when she saw that I was watching her. I have multiple professional licenses a paralegal degree I have been in management several times and worked in call center environment several times as well so I was completely flabbergasted by not at least making it to the next round of the interview. I have actually held interviews myself before so I know what employers are looking for in a potential candidate. Maybe she was not having a great day or maybe she just didn't mesh well with my vibes.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you receive constructive advice?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Square (Saint Louis, MO) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied on December 9th .. received the follow up email to complete the 3 questions, was then followed by a mock call which went excellent. Was offered to come into a face to face interview on the 19th. It went great if you ask me. I went through all three rounds. The interviewers were impressed with my resume and responses to the questions. Other candidates didn’t make it to all three rounds which I thought was an excellent sign. Security advised me if I made it through all three rounds I’d be offered the job. January 7th I received the denial letter. January 7th to be clear. No feedback or anything. I personally know a candidate who was offered a position who doesn’t even have transportation to the job. If I was offered the opportunity to do the interview again, I honestly don’t know what I’d do differently. I don’t know what they’re looking for in a candidates. As I was reading the reviews I noticed that this is a very frequent occurrence. Good luck with your interviews!

Interview Questions

• Same interview questions as the one on reviews   1 Answer

Feb 12, 2018 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for coming in and taking the time to interview with us in Saint Louis! We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience after finishing your interview process. If you are still... More