Square Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Process consisted of an initial 1 hour call with a hiring manager, followed by two phone screens - one management related and one coding. The coding screen was done via Coderpad, and involved basic CS concepts.

Onsite consisted of 2 paired coding interviews using a real IDE rather than a whiteboard, 2 additional technical interviews (design/architecture, and talk us through a significant piece of technical work you did in the past), 1 management interview and then meeting with a few hiring managers of teams that had management openings. The 2 non-coding technical interviews and the management interview were both conducted by 2 interviewers each. In total, the onsite was 7 hours, including lunch, which made for a long, but enjoyable day. Everyone was very friendly and went out of their way to make me feel comfortable. The day was well organized and ran on schedule. Definitely the most polished onsite I had during my job search

Interview Questions

• For technical phone screen make sure to brush up on CS fundamentals - data structures, algorithms, etc. If you make it to the onsite the recruiter will provide plenty of information regarding what to prep for.   Answer Question

Jul 31, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with Square! We are happy to hear that you had a good experience with the Engineering Manager interview. At Square, we are always... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

Terrible interview experience, i'd like to confirm that you should not waste your time.

the interviewer forgot to call me , and the recruiter came up with someone new right away , however, this person was completely disconnected. i honestely don't know how they can evaluate collaboration when the interviwer is completely out of focus and doing his own thing .

please dont waste your time here ...

Interview Questions

• The first call took 50% of the interview time to just state the problem. The second problem was straightforward data structure design.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

What a waste of time!! I mean I have interviewed at my share of companies but this has to be the worst. Please note I am not saying toughest but worst. What made it even horrible is all their blog bragging and telling you that it's going to be a "Pair Programming". I wouldn't even mind the complexity if they wouldn't have advertised by saying there's going to be a "Real Life" questions. At least I could have prepared for 5th standard puzzles.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

I applied online and got a coding test. I think I did well, but they said we should repeat. On the second code pair interview I did even better and the interviewer even said I nailed it and someone would be in touch with me shortly for the next steps! Surprisingly, after 10 days, the recruiter said I was not invited onsite. It was a weird experience at best.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Interview

DO NOT INTERVIEW WITH THIS COMPANY! They will waste your time, schedule you for a phone interview and then never respond back with any feedback. The interviewer sounded like he had to catch a train and was basically speaking too fast. It sounded way too scripted and robotic. The only benefit of doubt that I'd like to give is that he sounded smart, wasn't a D-bag and drove the question well. That was about 2 weeks ago and I'm yet to hear back from this company. Tried contacting their recruiter multiple times and nobody has had the courtesy to respond back. I'm so glad these red flags show up at the beginning - speak a lot about the culture of the company. Sorry, I'll pass!

Interview Questions

• Write a wrapper around the python dictionary data structure and implement commonly used methods for it. Also write unit tests for each of those methods.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

The recruiters from square contacted me more than 1 time. I reached out when I started looking for jobs. They set up a time to talk to the recruiters and explain the position and then if you are in san francisco you have 1 telephone/coderpad round. If you are out of san fran, you have 2 tele/coderpad round before they fly you in.

The recruiter told me that the telephone screen is a pair programming interview, which is complete farce. The guy just copy pasted 100 lines for a question and then kept working on his computer, his computer would beep all the time and he didnt say a word. I was trying to engage him by explaining my thought process but he couldnt care less. He gave me a hard leetcode question and I couldnt solve it in 45 mins. He asked me to do line justify a given paragraph. I dont know how doing a line justify is related to their business model but again, the interviewer couldnt care less. When the recruiter sends you the email, they would ask you to run your code frequently, but every time I did it, my interviewer was judging me hard.

I wouldnt advise anyone to spend hours preparing for pair programming or giving rounds after rounds in this company. If you can clear interview here, you will be able to clear at other places and there are much better companies out there.

Interview Questions

Square Response

Oct 2, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience interviewing for the Software Engineer role at Square. We were extremely disappointed to read about your interview process... More

Application

Interview

I was contacted via LinkedIn by one of their recruiters. Although I wasn't looking for a new opportunity at the time, I decided to give Square a shot. After speaking with the recruiter, I was scheduled a technical phone interviews with one of their engineers.

After the phone interview, I was asked to come for a full-day on-site interview. This consists of 2 pair-programming, lunch with engineering managers, another pair programming session, a Q/A session, architecture/system design question and another session with an engineering manager.

The pair-programming sessions were really a breath of fresh air. Although I still had to lead the implementation of the algorithm/design, it felt very collaborative and the interviewer was there to guide you through the problem. It was pressure-less and the process was overall very enjoyable.

The Q/A and architecture part of the interviews were different and they felt a lot more like your typical white-boarding interviews. You had to guide through the implementation of your design while the interviewers question your design and throw curveballs at you.

A couple days after the interview, the recruiter that I worked with set up another call and informed me that they were not going to extend me an offer.

Overall, I felt like this was the best interview experience that I've ever had. The recruiters were very communicative and friendly. They went out of their way to tell me what to expect during the interview and when to hear back. Out of all the interviews that I have been in, this one has been the most enjoyable and pleasant one. Other tech companies should really learn from Square on how to carry out technical interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out and had phone screen and onsite after that. Onsite interview had 7-8 interviews and you have to write code in real computer. There is a separate open section for interviews so place is bit noisy. Questions were not hard and some answers I gave interviewer couldn't understand. So it was a red flag.
    Note: If you are good and you think you can crack interview of a bigger company don't waste too much time on Square because their compensation is very low and they don't change it. And I didn't feel there's lot of smart people and most of engineers are average. Specially if you are joining Caviar team they have low priority towards Caviar hiring so they don't increase or match counter offers. So Just do your interview to practice and let it go. My offer was 50k lower than others.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

I did an on-campus interview with 2 sessions. It was a peer-programming setup, so I was given a problem by each of my interviewers, and then we worked on it together. You could use pretty much any resource you wanted.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to come up with the solution to the fox, pig, and a bag of rice riddle.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

After the initial recruiter call, got a telephonic coding interview scheduled. Pair programming is what they boast about. I totally disagree if the interviewer is going to mute and keep quiet for like 80% of the time. Definitely a new grad, was getting used to the code and did not help much. Very disappointed in the concept of pair programming, either help or do not but don't call it as pair exercise.
    Was a good implementation and was few mins away from running it successfully had I got some hint and help.
    Mentioned this to recruiter but no feedback.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of Class Items, find the commonality among them and sort them to get top k elements using Comparator.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

They reached out on LinkedIn, the whole process was very fast and professional. 3 coding questions - 2 straight forward, 1 more algorithmic, 1 design, 1 background. The interviewers for design and background were not very experience, so be prepared to heavily lead these rounds.

Interview Questions

Square Response

Aug 15, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with Square! We are happy to hear that you had a good experience with the Software Engineer Interview. At Square, we are always... More