Square Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Square Interview Questions

Interviews at Square

Credit Policy and Risk Analyst Interview

Interview

I applied for the position on their website and heard back about two weeks later. I scheduled a first round phone screen with a recruiter for the next morning using a self-schedule link. The time of the interview came and went and I didn't receive a call. I waited the full work day expecting to receive an email from the recruiter asking to reschedule, but never got one. I had no way to get in contact with them (the email they contacted me from was notifications@ so not specific to them, and they required you know their personal email address to add them on LinkedIn) so I rescheduled the interview using the same link provided. They responded the next morning claiming that they had called me at the scheduled time, and that because they never heard back from me they "moved on with additional candidates who were in the final interview stage." I hypothesize that they forgot to call, didn't want to admit it, and came up with this story as it doesn't seem reasonable that they would schedule a first round with a candidate and 24 hours later had multiple candidates in the final stage of the process.

Going forward Square should be emailing candidates immediately if the candidate misses the scheduled call or if the recruiter is unable to make the call altogether. I was really excited about the opportunity to work with Square, but after this experience I absolutely do not feel the same.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

I was contacted by a Recruiter on LinkedIn. The message they sent was very unprofessional with many errors but since I was recently laid off and looking for work I agreed to connect with them. Our call was standard but they did share some concerning information. I asked about diversity at Square and they told me that they must interview one diverse candidate for each job before extending offers. Isn't this reverse discrimination? So if I am qualified for a job I won't get hired so they can fill a quota? Seems like reverse discrimination. They also could not answer any of my questions around company culture and how they are adapting in this new environment.

Interview Questions

Square Response

May 29, 2020 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for submitting your questions and concerns and your interest in diversity at Square.

At Square, inclusion and diversity is incredibly important to us, and our approach to increasing diversity is to bring more underrepresented candidates into the interview pipeline for consideration. We do not have any hiring quotas based on protected traits. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, and our hiring decisions are based solely on skills, experience, and talent.

We can assure you that Square does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, or any protected characteristics in our assessment process for candidates.

If you’re interested in learning more about our company culture and inclusion and diversity programs you can find more information at https://squareup.com/us/en/l/diversity.

Finance and Strategy Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

Recruiter phone screen, hiring manager phone screen.

I think Square has this problem where they don't clearly show their job descriptions. i have applied many times interested and each time, they almost always want a data analyst for a financial analyst. PLEASE make it clear that is what you want for finance and strategy.

Let's not waste time. Everytime I speak to a hiring manager at Square for finance, they never seem to be interested in actual finance or understand owning the P&L. Rather, they want to 'solve the business problems", this is a revenue operations or business operations role. Please stop using "Finance and Strategy" to get finance or corporate finance people.

Interview Questions

• How do you think about the data that Square uses and how can we leverage it to increase the value of the business?   Answer Question

Talent Development Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Lots of good and passionate people at square. Had several rounds with great people. The recruiter in charge was however very low energy and unorganized. She double booked me on 2 occasions and had to readjust my work schedule 2x as multiple invites for different times. She also scheduled a final interview and gave me 2.5 days to complete a project for that interview on top of a busy work week for me. At least the weekend would have been nice. Didn't even ask and took her 2 to 3 days to respond to simple emails. As others have mentioned candidate experience is just spoken about and not applied. I received a standard rejection email after 6 rounds and asked for feedback but none was given. As I a recruiter I at least call and debrief those that have put in the time and energy in the process. Thankfully there are other places doing this right. I get a business decision was made, but candidate experience isn't a priority at square.

Recruiter Interview

Interview

Interview process was pretty smooth. The phone interviews all felt a little repetitive, but the onsite was really well organized and engaging. People seem to like their jobs and everyone was friendly and prompt. I thought the coordinators especially did a great job.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone screen, then onsite with 3 technical, 1 Sys design, 1 Q&A behavioral and 1 Q&A with manager. Although very long, the technicals were pair programming and collaborative. My experience with this instance of system design was oddly fun as well.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

Started with a phone interview with someone within finance. Then there was a test administered by someone from within the group as well. Received a denial following the test interview.

Interview Questions

• The first interview was a typical interview focused on the resume, why Square, etc. The test was more of a critical thinking case to be worked through while screensharing.   Answer Question

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Square (Atlanta, GA) in April 2020.

Interview

Started with a phone screen from the recruiter. After the recruiter likes what you tell them they schedule a pair programming interview. Everything went well during the pair programming. The question was a basic CS question, nothing out of the ordinary. Got the desired result during the interview. A day later they said they moved on to stronger candidates.

Talent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Square (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

This was the most disappointing interview experience I have ever had.
    I was contacted by a Recruiting Coordinator and she set up a 30 min phone screen. She answered every question but couldn’t tell me a salary which was weird, but I figured it would be addressed in the coming interviews.
    Next round was a writing sample, easy. Used to see how I would communicate with candidates and internals.
    Last was an on-site. This is where it all went completely wrong. The two internal recruiters were completely out of touch. The first, insulted where I was from the entire time. Didn’t even talk about the role, just kept saying how much he hated me home state! He was NOT into me or my answers after that.
    The second recruiter kept asking me how I dealt with conflict and even went as far as to tell me to “put my big girl panties on” when I said I don’t enjoy it in the workplace. Super inappropriate! She was late to come in, sped through the questions, and left before the time was up. She didn’t listen to anything I was saying and made me feel very unimportant.
    Finally, I met the recruiter over the role. She was SO uninterested in speaking with me, had no salary insight (again), and when it came down to the end I had emailed her AND the recruiting coordinator so many times looking for answers but NO ONE would return an email.
    The final nail in the coffin was the recruiter calling from a blocked number and leaving a 15 second voicemail saying someone else got the role. I have never been treated like this by any organization and hope everyone reading this knows what they’re in for before interviewing.

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

This company asks the year you graduated from college in order to discriminate against people over a certain age. Their job application requires you to add your college graduation year so that they can calculate your age and discriminate against you.

Interview Questions

• Their job application requires you to add your college graduation year so that they can calculate your age and discriminate against you.   Answer Question

Square Response

Apr 2, 2020 – Recruiting Coordinator

While we understand your disappointment in not being selected, we can ensure you that Square does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, or any protected characteristic in our assessment process for candidates. Diversity and inclusion is incredibly important to us, and our employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent.