Square Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Square Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2017

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

First phone interview went ok, 2nd and 3rd interviews were missed by the same manager which was a waste of time. After I finished the initial screenings, I did not hear back from HR for a good month and a half even after repeated pings.

After the onsite interview my biggest gripe with this multi-billion dollar company is reimbursements for travel expenses. I filed to be reimbursed immediately after my final interviews and I did not hear back from Accounts Payable for 2 months - after repeated pings I finally managed to recoup some of my money after FIVE months! which is absolutely insane. It would take about 30-45 days to get an email response form payroll regarding status.

I have worked and interviewed at multiple silicon valley companies and never have I experienced such complete incompetence on HR and payroll and lack of urgency and quiet simply - honesty.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation where you used analytics and customer data to make a product decision.   Answer Question

Mar 2, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience interviewing for the Software Engineer role at Square. We were extremely disappointed to read about your interview process ... More

Other Interview Reviews for Square

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I emailed a Square recruiter directly since my friend had recently accepted an offer to work at Square. From there, I did two technical phone screens that I thought were both rather difficult and ones that I barely managed to solve in the end. Square calls their phone screens "pair programming", but it was very similar to a generic phone screen from any company - there's wasn't much of an increase in collaboration. However, my onsite felt quite different. The questions were much easier, and the engineers sat down with me at a computer to talk about and solve the problems together (which felt much more collaborative). I did two technicals on the onsite, a casual chat with a new grad during lunch, and then a "prior experiences" interview afterwards that ended up just being another chat about previous projects and internships I'd done. The SF office is extremely beautiful, and the food was pretty excellent.

I received an offer a few weeks later (delayed due to being hospitalized and one of my interviewers being out of office for a week) and was quite happy with it and decided to accept. Overall, the people at Square seem very enthusiastic, although I've heard your experience at Square varies depending on what team you choose to work for. As my first job out of college though, I think it'll be a good place to start developing some good industry experience.

Interview Questions

Square Response

Feb 17, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with Square! We are happy to hear that you had a good experience with the Software Engineer Interview and that you felt as if the ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Process was 2 technical phone interview on coderpad, then on-site with 3 interview with a lunch in between. All coding interviews were conducted using their pair programming method where you will talk and code while the interviewer will correct any syntax errors and give you pointers. Most questions are very practical and something you would be implementing in real life. The questions would stem from real world applications such as design sudoku or play scrabble rather than very CS based questions such as reverse a linked list or traverse a BST. Their goal is to see how you think through a problem. Through out the process the recruiter responds lightning fast with any requests or questions.

Phone Interviews (1:1, 1 hour each):
    1) I definitely bombed my first phone interview. This was an odd question out of all the other questions I've been asked at Square. It was a very tricky graph problem where it's you know it or you don't. I first stated a brute-force solution but the interviewer asked to make it faster, I then talked for a solid 45 minute about optimizing and finally got to the result after many hints. I did not write a single line of code. However, I think Square still goes for a second phone interview as long as you weren't completely incompetent. I received a second interview invite 2 days after this interview.

2) The second phone interview was really good in my opinion. It was another graph problem but I was able to get a good solution within 10 minutes and built on it as we go, I had 15 minutes left to ask questions. I received an on-site invitation 1 day after this interview.

On-Site (1:1, 2:1, 1 hour each):
    Square was very accommodating with flight, hotels, gas, and food reimbursements. The on-site was about 4-5 hours and consisted of 2 pair programming interviews, a lunch with one of the Software Engineers, a Q&A segment about my background, and ends with a HR conversation about next step. Some of the interviews were conducted by 2 people in order to train their Software Engineers to be future interviewers themselves. At the end of the day, HR gave me a bag of goodies.

Some pointers is to relax during the interviews and talk with your interviewer. I believe my down fall was jumping into solutions too fast for some of my on-sites. I missed a very obvious solution because I was thinking way too complex and only got it after some hints. I had running solutions for all of my interviews but received my rejection one week after my on-site.

Overall the experience is the best experience I have ever had. I have interviewed with very accommodating companies such as Google, Adobe, etc. but Square definitely takes the cake.

Interview Questions

• NDA but they were not your general interview questions from LeetCode or GeeksforGeeks. All questions have multiple parts so if the interviewer keeps on adding features or sub-problems, it is a good thing. Make sure you have a very strong basic so you can think on the spot.   Answer Question

Mar 2, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with Square! We are happy to hear that you had a good experience with the Software Engineer Interview and that you felt like your ... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

The phone interviewer missed calling me two times. The recruiter and the co-ordinator completely didn't have their act together at all and completely shunned all responsibility in terms of scheduling. The interviewer also was lying to the recruiter that he had called me when he clearly didn't call me nor leave a voicemail nor was on codepad. My experience was completely lousy.

I should probably sue them for lost wages for an hour.

It's amazing how recruiters have just one job to do and they can't even do that right.

Interview Questions

Square Response

Feb 17, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. We were really disappointed to read about your interview process — definitely not cool, and we're really sorry. We'll discuss your ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me. Had a "pair programming" over the phone and then got to come on site. 3 "pair programming" questions. One behavioral interview i.e. what you worked on, what was the most challenging problem, etc. One architecture interview i.e. similar to design a flight reservation system. One interview with the hiring skip manager. One lunch interview. End with the recruiter reviewing how the interview went.

Funny thing was I nailed the interviews and did not get an offer. So do your best because it's all subjective.

Interview Questions

• The same old questions you get to white board but instead now have to do over on a computer i.e. pair programming   1 Answer

Mar 22, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with Square. We always appreciate comments and feedback from our candidates so that we can improve our process and we are ... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Square in January 2017.

Interview

We scheduled a phone call with the technical recruiter, yet I didn't received the phone call that time. After I send an email stating the situation, rescheduled the phone conversation. It was as short as ten minutes. He asked me why I want to work at square and wether the position is suitable for me. Then he explained the interview process.

Interview Questions

Square Response

Mar 22, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with Square! We are happy to hear that you had a good experience with the Software Engineer Interview and appreciate you being ... More

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter, he was extremely responsive and professional. A quick phone screen followed by a technical Skype interview followed by an onsite interview consisting of 3 pair programming interviews, one design intervew, one past experiences interview and one chat session with hiring manager. My recruiter let me know the hiring decision within 2 days.

Everyone I encountered throughout the entire process have been extremely friendly, relaxed and accommodating which helps out a lot with the interview nerves.

Questions covered algorithms and data structures as well object oriented/database design.

Nov 27, 2016 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with Square! We are happy to hear that you had a good experience with the Software Engineer interview. At Square, we are always ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied on college's career website. The HR scheduled two initial rounds of on-campus interviews which were a little bit different from the common in-person interviews. Instead of doing white boarding, they made us code on our laptop while they sat aside and looked. I cleared the on-campus round and interviewed at their HQ in SF. The onsite round consisted of two similar interviews in which you coded on a PC with the interviewers sitting beside you. The interviewers were really nice and helpful and Square is awesome as a company. They have amazing office views and canteens.

My experience after the interview was extremely unfortunate. They contacted me shortly after the interview and wanted to schedule a phone call to discuss next steps. However when the scheduled time arrived, they canceled it and said they needed to finalize something. And a week later they told me I did a good job but they were short of openings and asked me to wait. We sent email back and forth for about like two months and they failed to place me into any of their offices. It was really unfortunate. But I will still apply next year for full time role.

Interview Questions

Square Response

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was 1 hour long -- 45 minutes for a coding challenge and 15 minutes for conversation and questions. We spoke over the phone while doing a screen share for the coding challenge. I spent nearly the entire hour on the coding challenge, and wished I had more time to ask general questions about the position and the company. However, it sounds like Square allows their employees to develop their careers and take responsibility to see their projects through.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked me to develop a basic algorithm to determine if a given word is comprised of two words within a given list.   1 Answer

Oct 17, 2016 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with Square! We are happy to hear that you had a good experience with the Software Engineer Interview. We were disappointed to ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online in mid August and received an email from a recruiter in mid September to complete a hackerrank challenge (about 2 hours long). I completed the hackerrank within a week and was contacted by the recruiter to move onto a technical screen. I completed 2 phone screens, interviewed in-person, and received an offer the next day.

Interview Questions

• Really interesting graph traversal question and a recursion/data structures question where I had to code up all inputs and data structures from scratch.   Answer Question

Nov 7, 2016 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with Square! We are happy to hear that you had a good experience with the Software Engineer Interview. At Square, we are always ... More