St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

2.0

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Memphis, TN) in December 2018.

Interview

Very smooth . Consisted of a phone interview and an onsite interview. St Jude made the process very easy and answered all of my questions even after the interview. They treat candidates well.

Interview Questions

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Jul 9, 2019

Thank you for your review and we're glad to have you at St. Jude!

Other Interview Reviews for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Memphis, TN).

Interview

Typical phone screen with recruiter, phone screen with the hiring manager and a few other key decision makers, then an on-site interview.

The in-person interview process was very disorganized from start to finish. I was given conflicting information about hotel reservations and had to look up my reservation numbers myself with the hotels directly. When I arrived, the first interviewer wasn't at work that day and they left me in the room by myself for 30 minutes. I was interviewed by someone who wore a clinic white coat when this person doesn't remotely work in a clinical setting or see patients. (Honestly I think it was a sad power play) I was interviewed by someone who clearly got their interview questions by Googling "questions to ask in an interview". I was interviewed by someone who for most of the interview time just had a conversation with the previous interviewer instead of, you know, asking me questions or having a conversation - I just sat there watching the two of them talk. I was interviewed by someone who filled in for one of my future direct reports who was 'out sick' that day and proceeded to tell me about how morale was very low. Pretty sure it was a passive aggressive sick day by the original interviewer. I asked pretty basic questions of the interviewers regarding organizational structure and not a single one could give me a coherent answer. The hiring manager and the hiring manager's boss were cool and I could see myself working for them, but the rest was just really odd.

After the interview they asked for my references, but this was before having any other conversation about an offer. Let me be clear - they ask for and contact references even if you are not going to get an offer. HUGE red flag. They specifically want current coworker references, which, if you're trying to keep your job search on the down-low, is basically impossible. (The reference process was a joke though - an anonymous web survey sent to the email addresses you provide, very easy to fake if you're dishonest and so inclined. I did it legitimately and honestly but was exceptionally offended.) After deciding this isn't the type of place I'd like to work, unfortunately it was after I had already called in all my references. It's embarrassing because now I have to go explain why they were asked for a reference and I don't actually work there.

Any of these things in a vacuum is easy to overlook. However, there was a very clear pattern of disorganized and unprofessional behavior. Clearly St. Jude does amazing work but I feel they are the epitome of egotistical, and perhaps if you have enough applicants for every position they will always find someone willing to accept lousy treatment. However, they seem to forget that an interview is a TWO-WAY decision. I don't feel I was treated respectfully or in an organized way and declined further consideration. For example, it's been over 6 weeks and my interview expenses still aren't reimbursed despite following up numerous times. If an organization can't get the interview process right, I have no reason to believe it would be better once on board.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself in 3 words.   4 Answers
    • How would you describe your management style? (asked repeatedly)   2 Answers
    • Why do you want to work at St. Jude?   3 Answers

Organization is disorganized and not respectful to candidates.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Oct 9, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to interview at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and for posting a review of your interview experience. Your review helps us identify the areas where we may need... More