St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Postdoctoral Researcher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Memphis, TN) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted initially by a recruiter and was later accepted as a participant in the National Graduate Research Symposium. They showed me the facilities and I gave a presentation of my graduate research. I met with 7 faculty members was was extended offers from 2.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Memphis, TN) in January 2007.

Interview

Initial contact is usually made through te Academic Programs office. They will contact you and if they want you to come and interview, will set-up travel arrangements. Your CV sill be sent out to potential PIs for review and those you want to interview with and who want to interview you are put on your schedule. It is at minumum a 2 day process, including a 40-50 minute presentation.

The 2 day process can be grueling depending on how many interviews are scheduled for the applicant. Also, all lunches and dinners are with potential supervisors (PIs) or colleagues (post-docs), so you are always "on".

The process is well managed by the Academic programs office and they are into recruiting you as much as you are into getting a position. They work hard at matching the right person with the right labs. They also offer a lot of advice on matching personality types - as long as you pay attention to what they are saying. St Jude has a ton to offer, but picking a PI is the MOST important decision you will make and it is extremely important to not let the place and perks overwhelm you. Listening carefully to the APO and to the post-docs will give a better feel for how a potential PI is, than the one-on-one interview does.

Interview Questions

• There were no questions that were unexpected but it was important to know the research of the PIs you interview with. This can be a lot if you interview with 10 or more PIs.   Answer Question
    • Do you know why/when Danny Thomas founded St. Jude?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no significant negotiation, as salary is standardized by NIH. However, it is extremely important to discuss all aspects of the position with your future PI. Things have a way of changing after you arrive.